• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

The new Professor Layton game has been released on Europe last Friday
I’ve seen some
nice reviews but I’ve got to say I’m getting a bit tired of the formula.
I’ll still probably play it to see the end of this this trilogy (and maybe it’s the end of Layton non-iOS/android games) and the art is still gorgeous.

Anyone playing it? Worth to see the end? Do they change the formula like they did for a bit in the last Layton?

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

The previous one felt very tired design-wise, and the story left a bad taste in my mouth, so I think I’ll just give this one a pass and wait a few months for Shu Takumi’s Layton vs. Ace Attorney.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

The first Layton game published was amazing. It even had a reason for people to out of the blue, ask you to solve a puzzle.

Later games did not interest me nearly as much - the stories just didn’t hold up as well.

I say - to all that play adventure games on the Nintendo Handhelds, get “Prof Layton and the Curious Village” it deserves all the awards and high sales it got.

However, if you have never played a Layton game - this one might make a good starting point.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 187

Joined 2013-11-12

PM

I played it when it was first released in Japan earlier this year and thought it was an okay game. Not as glorious an end to the current trilogy as The Unwound Future was for the first, but at least the little bits and pieces of plot are tied up nicely.

I liked the variety of puzzles better than Miracle Mask (which was the worst of the current trilogy, IMHO), but the middle part of the game is hit-or-miss. It’s a non-lineair chase-the-MacGuffins section, which gives you several small-scale side stories, but I thought the focus of the main story got lost because of that. If you have already played the previous two, I’d definitely recommend it, but you shouldn’t expect more than another Layton (though it does have a story with a larger scale than usual).

“Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God’s good earth” - Ellery Queen, The Lamp of God

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

Speak of the devil again, I bought a 2DS earlier today as a backup device and saw Azran Legacy on the shelf. I’ve picked it up and look forward to playing it. I did enjoy the gameplay changes this series made moving onto the 3DS.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Tantei KID - 12 November 2013 04:50 AM

(though it does have a story with a larger scale than usual).

Larger than a Future London built on a cave!?! Smile
Thenks for the impressions, I ended up ordering the game to play after finishing Phoenix Wright.

Total Posts: 187

Joined 2013-11-12

PM

Kurufinwe - 11 November 2013 08:11 AM

The previous one felt very tired design-wise, and the story left a bad taste in my mouth, so I think I’ll just give this one a pass and wait a few months for Shu Takumi’s Layton vs. Ace Attorney.

Layton VS Ace Attorney was an excellent Ace Attorney I think, but a very boring Layton game. There were very few puzzle patterns and it offered nothing new compared to the normal series (in fact, it offered less), while the trial parts had all kinds of new mechanics. As an Ace Attorney game, the crossover offers much more new things than AA5 IMHO (which was to be expected from Takumi, I guess).

“Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God’s good earth” - Ellery Queen, The Lamp of God

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Will get this AFTER I’ve finished Ace Attorney 5 (which I’ll probably only get in a few months - I simply don’t have the time at the moment).
I’m sure this Layton game will simply be “more of the same”, but that’s not necessarily a bad thing. Unfortunately, after 5 near-identical games, that’s not necessarily a particularly good thing either… Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

Our paths cross once more, Tantei KId. Albeit this time under the guise of a different name. Smile

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top