• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

How many ‘one of a kind’ AGs out there?

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Yeah like Loom for example ,using the drafts (musical note sequences) to solve puzzles ,was and still an original and (as much as I am sure) a never repeated concept of an adventure ,  at least as one whole adventure as there were many puzzles were represented separately through that way at a lot of other AGs .

The whole idea of Adventure gaming started with that; a one of kind game that turned into a genre and as much as there are many recognizable stops in the history of adventure gaming which had written and changed the history of the genre as much as they can not(almost) exceed the concept of each having a new feature or an add-on , but some AGs were so original that any approach of trying following them will only reveal an experience that couldn’t described nothing but producing the same old ones again (one way or the other).

Riven is also one of kind game (imo) as all 1st person games even other Myst(s), designed over going through chapters or parts or islands, but all the puzzles held at Riven were (always) nothing but small parts into the big (picture) puzzle, you can not find an AG that every-one-thing is so connected to another that much as Riven.
ahh ..also the Fifth Myst has it as one of a kind but I don’t want to mention it.

Also Mahunter(s) Games were like that (one of a kind);  first-person investigations depending on monitoring/tracking subjects through an interface (MAD) at each new place you get to visit to follow and understand their deeds/actions (so you need to have paid a close attention to their track through that MAD) to be able to cat-copying them and find out what they were about there/here…

I am sure there are many ‘one of a kind’ Adventures out there apart from the traditional ones, those I can not remember and those I never had the chance to experience ..yet!

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

There were hardly any games that followed Quest for Glory formula. I know there’s a number of spiritual successors being developed right now, but we have yet to see them.

PC means personal computer

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Agree, I never liked RPGs , but I still loved the QfG Series, right, the formula that came out after mixing it into the Adventure genre was awesome , of course the Coles blew it at the 5th part .. but then it was obvious that the reason was for the unbalanced ‘chemistry’ formula between the two genres .

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

Bad Mojo is definitely one of a kind. Also my all time favourite adventure.

Total Posts: 1782

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Tender Loving Care is another one off.

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 345

Joined 2012-04-04

PM

Stacking was wonderful.

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

The Dark Eye
Bad Day on the Midway
Last Express
Portal (1986)
Cosmology of Kyoto
Psychic Detective
A Mind Forever Voyaging

Botanicula? -> I don’t know about this, but it was such a unique experience for me. I don’t know of any other games where you play as a “force of nature” rather than a character, in such a quirky and charming way.

Maybe Dune?

I’m tempted to put Gobliiins as well. There have been other games with multiple characters working together but never like this. Simply can’t be imitated.

Total Posts: 7439

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

The story and gameplay of Shadow of Memories.
The smells in Discworld Noir.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 2986

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Apart from other already mentioned titles, I will also add Amnesia: the dark descent for the uniqueness of the scary approach. Also, I have high hopes that the upcoming Gorogoa will be one of a kind in terms of gameplay.

EDIT: Oh! And of course Callahan’s Crosstime Saloon for the enormous level of interactivity among with its unique humour on each clicking (only Edna & Harvey tried to match it but the humor was a lot less spot on compared with CCS). Playing a game while you ALWAYS LOL (or shed a tear in one situation) is something I never experienced in another game.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Sefir - 05 November 2013 03:45 AM

And of course Callahan’s Crosstime Saloon for the enormous level of interactivity among with its unique humour on each clicking (only Edna & Harvey tried to match it but the humor was a lot less spot on compared with CCS).

Agreed, and I’ll also add Al Emmo to that bunch. The Last Express, obviously, and Bad Mojo, as already said. Journeyman Project 2/3 as they’re “Myst-clones” with plenty of side characters, and Keepsake as it’s a 3rd person with a 1st-person atmosphere/puzzles.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Zifnab - 04 November 2013 07:29 PM

A Mind Forever Voyaging

can you explain why you consider it ...?

diego - 05 November 2013 04:56 AM
Sefir - 05 November 2013 03:45 AM

And of course Callahan’s Crosstime Saloon for the enormous level of interactivity among with its unique humour on each clicking (only Edna & Harvey tried to match it but the humor was a lot less spot on compared with CCS).

Agreed, and I’ll also add Al Emmo to that bunch. The Last Express, obviously, and Bad Mojo, as already said. Journeyman Project 2/3 as they’re “Myst-clones” with plenty of side characters, and Keepsake as it’s a 3rd person with a 1st-person atmosphere/puzzles.

I didn’t expect anyone to imply their taste or joy for one as one of kind AG , so as for Edna and CCS or Al Emmo .. or I am missing something!!

and as for Keepsake for being a 3rd person with a 1st-person atmosphere/puzzles , I think Neverhood might take honor for that best, even though it had some 1st person perspectives but in general its a 3rd person game more than anything.

Edit: I am sure the Experiment is applying too that description to and maybe I am not sure Blade Runner for being (many things) a real interactive movie but with far difficult gameplaying (this very questionable I am sure) and the multiple 13 endings especially that deciding each one is applied from the very beginning of the adventure and story, nevertheless the gameplaying can change through the game after one decision or another, also for being a 3rd person AG without an inventory usage ..

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Advie - 05 November 2013 05:34 AM

A Mind Forever Voyaging

can you explain why you consider it ...?

I don’t think I can! Everyone who has played it knows how different it is, and unique. No traditional puzzles or tasks, no real goal, the type of problem solving. And possibly the first game (yes, game, not just adventure game) you could call “art”.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Maybe Dune?

This one. I wish someone else tried to do an adventure/strategy mix.

Also In Memoriam? I don’t know if there are other adventures like it.

Total Posts: 932

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

Botanicula? -> I don’t know about this, but it was such a unique experience for me. I don’t know of any other games where you play as a “force of nature” rather than a character, in such a quirky and charming way.

You might include the Samorost games in this too, they’re pretty similar in gameplay. Definitely original Smile (Though have been imitated a little bit)

In some ways, you could say Gabriel Knight 3, as it has the unique free-roaming interface, and also some (at least as far as I’ve seen) unique puzzles with, for example, Le Serpent Rouge. Of course, it also has many traditional elements, so I’m not sure if it should be included or not.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Lets not forget The Stanley Parable for being a completely unique experience.

And The Walking Dead for being a new way of playing adventure games interactive experience.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 1078

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Forgotten Chronomaster and Sanitarium.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top