• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Site → Site & Forum Feedback → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Feedback on the new site/forums

Total Posts: 449

Joined 2006-11-20

PM

Was it a main page article or a forum post recently authored by Marek regarding potential changes in the site and forums, and requesting member feedback on what we’d like to maybe see included? I can’t seem to find it anywhere now, and it hasn’t been but maybe a couple months ago that I read something like that….and it wasn’t this thread. Can someone point me to it?

Life is too short to drink bad wine…

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Mike the Wino - 13 March 2015 07:28 PM

Can someone point me to it?

Are you perhaps talking about the feedback Marek wanted about possibly going to Kickstarter for the site?

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2006-11-20

PM

Oh yeah. Thanks!! And I guess it was a little more than a couple months ago. It’s hell getting old…. Meh

Total Posts: 177

Joined 2003-11-15

PM

Ah, good to know that it’s not completely ignored.

You can play my game Frasse and the Peas of Kejick for free! (AG review here.)

Total Posts: 244

Joined 2011-02-27

PM

Rather than fix individual issues we’d like to switch forum platform entirely. The forum we’re using now seems to have been abandoned by its developers, so rather than patching it up / hacking it we’ll be better off migrating to something that’s fully supported and that we can keep updating for many years to come.

The issue is still time and money. Shortly after we were floating the kickstarter idea the plans for the store came into focus and that put everything else on the backburner. We might still do a kickstarter or we might find another way to finance site upgrades (maybe the store can help). Sorry it’s taking a while to figure out - when we do, the forums will be the first thing we’ll upgrade.

Retired AG founder

Joined 2006-11-20

PM

Thanks for the update, Marek!

When the new forum software gets implemented, is it possible to have the timestamps of each persons post(s) show up in the viewing member’s local time? Obviously the member would need to be logged in for this to work, but not knowing the first thing about how any kind of software gets written or developed, is this even an option? I ask because (let’s face it) I’m lazy, and don’t want to try figuring out what time someone (might have) replied to something I posted.  Tongue

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Mike, your localization settings in your profile weren’t set (and with the current issues with that, you probably couldn’t change it even if you wanted). I’ve changed them for you. Can you check if the time stamp is displayed correctly now?

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2006-11-20

PM

Hi Timothy, it didn’t even dawn on me that MY settings weren’t set. I thought I had checked that before and they were, but maybe not. Anyway, when I post this reply I’ll know for sure, but based on the time yours stamped in at, it looks like it should be good.

Thanks!

Total Posts: 4249

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Maybe we’ll get lucky and thumbnails will work fine with new forum software.
Like they used to work 3 (three) years ago (in the old forum).

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 164

Joined 2007-11-25

PM

When logged in, threads with new posts have a yellow folder icon to the left and threads with no new posts have a gray folder.

Since that isn’t the case when I’m not logged in, I’m guessing that particular feature is tied to the user profiles.

Would it be possible to tie the feature to cookies instead, so the color legends work both when logged in or not?

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Jannik - 03 December 2015 01:31 PM

When logged in, threads with new posts have a yellow folder icon to the left and threads with no new posts have a gray folder.

Since that isn’t the case when I’m not logged in, I’m guessing that particular feature is tied to the user profiles.

Would it be possible to tie the feature to cookies instead, so the color legends work both when logged in or not?

Maybe someone else from AG can speak on behalf of them, but from my perspective, I like them to be tied to user profile like they are now. The reason is that I tend to check AG with multiple devices (sometimes iphone or ipad when on the go, desktop at home, and desktop/laptop at work), so it’s nice not having to go through old posts again to see what’s new when I switch devices. As to your suggestion, why not stay logged in to AG at all times? Why log out? AG does keep track of if you logged in or not through cookies, so you can stay logged in across multiple sessions on the same device.

Total Posts: 164

Joined 2007-11-25

PM

I see your point. Then what about a “synchronized” cookie/profile system, so a cookie tracks which threads you have read, whether you are logged in or not, then synchronizes it with your profile and vice versa. Don’t know if it’s possible though.

I just don’t feel comfortable being logged in permanently to every service or forum I use, it’s a security thing. Maybe I’m playing it too safe, don’t know.

EDIT: Adjusted for clarity.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Site → Site & Forum Feedback → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top