• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Site → Site & Forum Feedback → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Feedback on the new site/forums

Total Posts: 244

Joined 2011-02-27

PM

Looking into that issue.

Retired AG founder

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2007-01-26

PM

Just want to say THANK YOU for breaking up the site by platform—I love adventure games and love my Mac, and now it will be so much easier to get the two together for some quality gaming!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, the ability to read reviews for games I can actually play is wonderful. Thanks.

Total Posts: 347

Joined 2006-07-30

PM

With the new site, there is no longer a section on the front page for recent comments on articles by users.  It has been replaced by recent user reviews.  This way, there is no way to see recent comments unless you happen to visit the page for the game.  Is there a way this information could be added back to the home page?  IMO, this is much more useful than knowing that a game was recently reviewed/rated by a user.  (Having the user ratings is awesome, btw).

Overall, I think the new design is great and congratulations on what I’m sure was a very big job.  But, there’s really no point in commenting on articles anymore if no one can see the new comment and respond to it.  Otherwise, that is all left to the forums, and you don’t want a new forum post for every random thought someone has.

Total Posts: 1813

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

Marek - 21 May 2012 06:06 PM
tsa - 21 May 2012 04:15 PM

I have another thing for on the list of things to fix. When the old forums were still functioning, if someone posted in a certan thread you would get an email with a subject header like: Reply to thread ‘The AG Community Blog’. That was handy because you could sift through your emails and see which one you found the most interesting. Now you only get Someone just posted in AG forums. I wonder if the old situation could be ‘remade?’ That would be very convenient.

Done - it’ll now have the thread title in the subject line.

I was pleasantly surprised this morning. Woohoo! Marek, you’re fantastic.

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

Quartermoon - 21 May 2012 10:13 PM

Just want to say THANK YOU for breaking up the site by platform—I love adventure games and love my Mac, and now it will be so much easier to get the two together for some quality gaming!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, the ability to read reviews for games I can actually play is wonderful. Thanks.

That. I agree whole Heart etly Smile.

Total Posts: 245

Joined 2006-05-20

PM

Marek - 21 May 2012 08:56 AM
Siddhi - 20 May 2012 11:45 PM

1) There isn’t enough differentiation between read and unread threads in the forum view.

Good point, I agree. The icons for unread threads are now a different color. (This may require refreshing the page or clearing your cache to see.)

Awesome. Looks perfect. Also I noticed the signatures are a smaller font now.  Thumbs Up  Thumbs Up

Total Posts: 12

Joined 2010-09-15

PM

The old one looked better. Wink

And the avatar has to be < 20k, are you kidding?
Apparently not.

Edit: I just found that any uploaded image gets resized (if below 100px) and recompressed (any size), which makes GIFs look especially ugly. (Edit 3: Qualify that in the light of Edit 2)

Edit 2: Changing the avatar is also problematic. I was playing with various compression settings, uploading/removing a couple of times, but the image appears to stay the same. Choosing one from the default set works, but uploading a new image doesn’t.  Pan

Apparently, there are a few problems needing ironing out.

Total Posts: 244

Joined 2011-02-27

PM

Hoipolloi - 22 May 2012 03:10 AM

And the avatar has to be < 20k, are you kidding?

It’s always been that way. It’s plenty for a tiny avatar pic though. My avatar is 8Kb. We could allow large avatar files, but then pages might become slower to load.

In most cases, it’s better not to use .gif anyway. You might have better results using png for graphic/illustration images or jpg for photos/detailed images - see if that helps.

Sorry you’re having problems with the avatar though. I believe the site might be caching avatars in some way to help speed up loading, so if you update the avatar many times, it might be lagging behind a bit. That’s my guess anyway. Your problem hadn’t come up yet so far.

Retired AG founder

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

I like the larger avvies a lot. When I’m back home I’ll update my avvie to the new resolution to make it look better.

Total Posts: 236

Joined 2006-10-06

PM

I like how the yellow folders turn grey once you’ve read all the posts/threads - it makes it easier to know what’s left to read etc. Thumbs Up

Total Posts: 299

Joined 2006-12-04

PM

Trumgottist - 21 May 2012 05:33 PM
GreyFuss - 21 May 2012 05:25 PM

In addition…is there a way to have links open in a new window instead of being redirected away from the Forum?

Yes, you can right-click on the link. (There are additional options, depending on your OS / browser.)

Thanks Trumgottist, I never knew that and it works with an extra click. I thought that this could be changed in the Forum software where links would automatically open in a new window with one click. Now that I know about the right click that will do in a pinch. Thanks

Don’t Hate Me Because I Am Beautiful…There Are Many Other Reasons

Total Posts: 15

Joined 2011-02-27

PM

GreyFuss - 22 May 2012 11:22 AM
Trumgottist - 21 May 2012 05:33 PM
GreyFuss - 21 May 2012 05:25 PM

In addition…is there a way to have links open in a new window instead of being redirected away from the Forum?

Yes, you can right-click on the link. (There are additional options, depending on your OS / browser.)

Thanks Trumgottist, I never knew that and it works with an extra click. I thought that this could be changed in the Forum software where links would automatically open in a new window with one click. Now that I know about the right click that will do in a pinch. Thanks

In most browsers, you can also middle-click a link to immediately open it in a new tab (on a lot of mice, that’s clicking the mousewheel).

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Marek - 21 May 2012 03:08 PM

What version of Opera are you using? Upgrade it and the site might look way better, as the custom font we use was really designed for use with smooth font rendering.

Yes, you’re right, it’s Opera problem since I’m indeed using some antique version.

The site looks nice indeed. Unfortunately, the switch from old to new forums is rather painful.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Bug report: the RSS feed at http://www.adventuregamers.com/rss/ seems to be empty. Cry For years, it’s been my main only access point to articles and news posts and I don’t know what I’ll do without it.

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

Trumgottist - 21 May 2012 04:53 PM

I don’t know if it’s just me, but the “keep me logged in” option doesn’t seem to be working. When I come back to the forum after a day, I have to log in again. It’s no big deal, but I figured you might be interested to know.

I have the same problem. When I go to a certain thread via a link in an email I have to log in all the time. I don’t know if I also have to log in if I just go to http://www.adventuregamers.com.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Site → Site & Forum Feedback → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top