• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Tex Murphy’s “Mean Streets” and “Overseer” (No spoiler please)

Total Posts: 24

Joined 2005-02-20

PM

I heard that Overseer is a remake of the first one. So, if I play the first Tex Murphy game and then Overseer, will the fun factor of Overseer be ruined then since I would pretty much know the overall story from the original one?

Is it a direct or a loose remake? Do most supporting characters from the “Mean Streets” make a return in “Overseer”?

Thanks

Total Posts: 175

Joined 2008-09-02

PM

I did an interview with Aaron Conners in 2011 (writer and co-designer of UAKM, Pandora and Overseer) and talked about the differences between Mean Streets and Overseer.
Here’s what Aaron had to say. Hope this helps!

Aaron:

Overseer was a lot different from the previous two games. Our original plan was to start work on “Trance” and continue Tex’s storyline, but Intel approached us about making a “smaller” game to bundle with their new PC’s. They would pay us to develop the game, plus we could make a bunch of money on the back end. The only catch: we had to produce the game in less than six months. There was no way we could produce Trance in less than 18 months, so Chris decided that we should “remake” the original Mean Streets. I suggested that we do as a “flashback”, with Tex telling the story to Chelsee so we could continue to advance his current story a bit.

Many people think the story versions were the same (between Mean Streets and Overseer), but it’s really not. I had to do a ton of work to get it up to the standards of UKM and Pandora. I used as much of the old story as I could, but it was pretty weak. I had to change the plot around, rewrite ALL the dialogue, changed the names of all the characters with references to genitalia, etc. For me, it was as much work as the other games. In the end, the Intel deal didn’t go through as promised. We decided to add extra gameplay to beef up the game and release it on our own as a “full” Tex Murphy game, even though it really wasn’t. I think the game is very good, but it wasn’t at the same level as Pandora.

Now playing: GreedFall, Control
Recently finished: Telling Lies, The Sinking City

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top