• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

walas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The Stanley Parable

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

This is a very interesting game that I just came across with the demo on Steam. It’s first-person exploration game with high emphasis on narrative. It’s kind of hard to explain what it does different but it’s very original.
The full game is being released next week. It was iniatilly a mod for Half-Life 2 and maybe everybody already played it (I never did) Smile
http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-stanley-parable

I have no idea if the full game is very similar to the mod but after the playing the demo I’m very interested in trying it out.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/221910/

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

I have never played it but I have heard of it before.
The trailer is one of the funniest I have ever seen for a game, and that alone is enough to get me interested.

I will give the Demo a try.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Yes, forgot to mention that, the writing is hilarious!

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2011-11-14

PM

What i like about Stanley Parable is that developers made a perfect balanced mix of feeling that you’re in strict controled environment, with such a good/smart story and charming narator. You dont realize till the end that the game affect you on so many levels. Its not just an ordinary mod, because it gives you that weird questioning/admiring feeling when you finish it. Can’t wait for the remake. Smile)))

You should definitely play it.

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

I tried the demo and I loved it.

Just like the trailer and everything else i have seen about it, it is hilarious and wonderful weird!

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

So did anyone pick up the full version off Steam? Interesting game where it’s all about subverting what you can do along a very confined pathway and seeing how the game will react. It’s not unlike this Flash game from 2009 that hits the same feelings of alienation but in a much bleaker tone: http://www.molleindustria.org/everydaythesamedream/everydaythesamedream.html

It’s very well narrated and I really enjoy it when a game picks up on what you’re trying to do and responds to it. Something bigger budget titles should keep in mind and it’s a nice change of pace from an adventure game giving you the same ‘you can’t do that’ message over and over. Smile

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I picked it up. Played through a couple of times, probably lots of more stuff to discover. I agree that it’s great the way the game responds to our actions. Even just standing in a room unlocks a whole new narrative. Simple stuff like the achievement 430 goes on and on in a big dissertation about achievements. Don’t know why, I thought the game would parody other games narratives and the illusions of choice, but I don’t think it’s about that, it´s more about the player and making us think how we perceive the interaction with games (or something like that). And it’s about being hilarious of course.

Total Posts: 39

Joined 2011-02-13

PM

I just “finished” playing the full version. I never played the original mod, nor was I aware of the surprises. I liked it. Not as surprising as I had hoped, but I’m pretty difficult to please. Anyway, I gave it a play through of two hours, and while it feels like I’ve uncovered the bulk of the pathways and endings, I’m certain there are more to be discovered.

I’m not the kind to enjoy philosophical games with impenetrable “meanings”, but I must admit that several moments of The Stanley Parable got me thinking about the nature of reality and life in general. Perhaps because it’s handled with so much humor.

To any newcomers interested in this game, imagine Portal without the portal gun. That’s as close a description I can say without spoiling it.

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

I cant remember the last time a game quite literally had me

I think I have spend about 4 hours and at least 20 playthroughs discovering new things and new endings, even being taken back to the start with all choices being removed, having the whole game world collapse, games within the game, the baby game being the funniest, having the narrator being replaced, begging me, threatening me or taunting me, all the time adapting to what I do, sometimes even remembering what I did on the last playthrough. And I am nowhere near done with this game!

I think Telltale can learn a lot about what basing a game around “choices” actually means!

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

List of endings and achievements: (spoilers of course)

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=186748414#160736

I can’t believe there’s an ending for playing the baby game for 4 hours!!

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Karlok - 22 October 2013 08:30 PM

I’ve been playing the Stanley Parable for the past two hours and it’s a fantastic experience. It’s not on AG’s main page, it’s not in the database. I did a search and came up with nothing. The Wolf Among Us and The Walking Dead are there, so why is the Stanley Parable being ignored?

Yeah I have been wondering about that too, hopefully it is just because it has slipped under the radar of the AG staff, and now that they now this game exists it will both be added to the game database and get a review.

At least until proven otherwise, I will assume that that is the reason. 

Edit: Reposted my response here, as this seem the most appropriate thread for it.

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Indecently a just watched one of the new episodes of House of Cards, and much to my surprise suddenly Frank Underwood was playing The Stanley Parable, and trying to explain it to one of the other characters.

I though it was kind of cool, though it did surprised me a bit, as I can’t imagine that the developer had the kind of cash needed to pay for that kind of product placement.

Total Posts: 89

Joined 2005-12-19

PM

Iznogood - 05 March 2015 05:30 AM

Indecently a just watched one of the new episodes of House of Cards, and much to my surprise suddenly Frank Underwood was playing The Stanley Parable, and trying to explain it to one of the other characters.

I though it was kind of cool, though it did surprised me a bit, as I can’t imagine that the developer had the kind of cash needed to pay for that kind of product placement.

Frank also plays Monument Valley at some point. I doubt it’s one of the product placements (the show does seem to have a fair share of those, and they are cringeworthy), but simply an attempt to appeal to a certain demographic.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top