• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Flight of the Amazon Queen

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

Hey, I just noticed this game is FREE on GoG right now.  There is absolutely no reason at all not to grab this classic while you can!  Works great on Mac, too!

Total Posts: 88

Joined 2012-07-10

PM

It was released as freeware in 2004, you could get it from ScummVM years ago.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

But ScummVM doesn’t have a making-of booklet and doesn’t include the soundtrack. GOG does. Wink

Like I said in the discount thread: everyone who’s never played FotAQ before should definitely check it out: it’s a great game (and the closest to LucasArts’ Fate of Atlantis and Monkey Island any other game has ever got)!

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Don’t get people’s expectations up TimovieMan, it’s nowhere near the quality of those Lucasarts games in writing, graphics, or anything really. And it has terrible voice acting, although the music is quite good. Worth playing if you have nothing else, since it’s free, but not very much more than that. I always thought it was overrated considering how much attention it gets.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Oscar - 22 September 2013 08:11 AM

Don’t get people’s expectations up TimovieMan, it’s nowhere near the quality of those Lucasarts games in writing, graphics, or anything really. And it has terrible voice acting, although the music is quite good. Worth playing if you have nothing else, since it’s free, but not very much more than that. I always thought it was overrated considering how much attention it gets.

I beg to differ. This game has firmly established itself in my all-time top 20 of adventure games. I had a blast playing it. Graphics and voice acting are at least Fate of Atlantis quality. Granted, it was released a few years later so may have been outdated then, but that’s no longer an issue now, is it?

Also, I was actually unaware this got so much attention as you claim? I only learned of this game when it became freeware, and I’ve always felt it was a hidden gem…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

TimovieMan - 22 September 2013 07:52 AM

Like I said in the discount thread: everyone who’s never played FotAQ before should definitely check it out: it’s a great game (and the closest to LucasArts’ Fate of Atlantis and Monkey Island any other game has ever got)!

I actually think the original 2 Broken Sword games are closer to Fate of Atlantis. They also mix cartoon and adult themes, also make you travel around the world and discover ancient secrets. Amazon Queen is a pretty straightforward cartoon adventure stuck in one location that deals with mad scientists, dinos and such. Still a very solid adventure.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Lambonius - 22 September 2013 12:21 AM

Hey, I just noticed this game is FREE on GoG right now.  There is absolutely no reason at all not to grab this classic while you can!  Works great on Mac, too!

Thanks Lambonius, I have a GoG account & intending to take advantage!

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I have to side with Oscar here. FotAQ isn’t anything special as far adventure games go. It’s an okay game, but not really expectional. Had ScummVM not managed to get it as a freebie way back it would have fallen into obscurity ages ago.

Total Posts: 619

Joined 2012-06-06

PM

I like the game.  And it’s Free. FREE.

I know it’s been free for ScummVM users for a while, but you know - some people just aren’t that tech savvy to know about it.  If they have ScummVM, some barely know how to use it.  Not everyone who plays adventure games is a tech head.  The Free Gog.com version makes it accesible to everyone!

And it’s free, for God’s sake!  Play it!  Have fun!

Bt

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

One of the best “Not by LucasArts, but could easily be” games Wink

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

Well, aside from those who are anal retentive enough to be complaining that a completely free, patched-for-modern-machines game may or may not live up to a bunch of games that you can’t buy anywhere right now, I’d say everyone else should take advantage and grab this one. 

And just for the record, Fate of Atlantis also has pretty bad voice acting.  Lucasarts games didn’t start improving in the voice acting department until DOTT and Sam and Max.  Flight of the Amazon Queen is honestly pretty comparable to Fate of Atlantis, if we’re just talking voice acting.

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

diego - 22 September 2013 02:28 PM

One of the best “Not by LucasArts, but could easily be” games Wink

Exactly! Smile

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

diego and Timovieman and Lambonius - Can’t argue with taste, but the graphics, music and writing of the two companies really aren’t comparable.

Compare the graphics against Fate of Atlantis. One has depth and good use of colour despite being 3 made years earlier, the other looks dull and flat. The style is also very inconsistent from scene to scene and doesn’t have a lot of artistic flair. (Is that a dino skull on the shelf?  Neutral)

The writing? It’s okay, but Joe King is as plain a character as you can get and Lucasarts would have thrown him out at the first opportunity. Again, a good game but top 20? Not in my book. I’d like to see your top 20 Tim, because I’ve seen you call a number of games top 20 but you’re going to have to throw some games out at one point, and I don’t believe it would be a DS game over something like FOTAQ Wink

Lambonius - 22 September 2013 02:49 PM

Well, aside from those who are anal retentive enough to be complaining that a completely free, patched-for-modern-machines game may or may not live up to a bunch of games that you can’t buy anywhere right now, I’d say everyone else should take advantage and grab this one. 

And just for the record, Fate of Atlantis also has pretty bad voice acting.  Lucasarts games didn’t start improving in the voice acting department until DOTT and Sam and Max.  Flight of the Amazon Queen is honestly pretty comparable to Fate of Atlantis, if we’re just talking voice acting.

No one’s complaining, just trying to put the game in it’s proper place. It was misleading to put it up the near Lucasarts games.

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

What an odd choice of screenshot to show off the supposedly superior graphics of Fate of Atlantis.

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

I wasn’t trying to do that, it was just a comparison so I picked two similar indoor shots. Pick any you like, it’s the same outcome.

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

You mean that both screenshots look to be of similar quality?  Wink

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top