• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Alpha versions of adventure games

Total Posts: 278

Joined 2012-12-22

PM

Releasing alpha versions of games are quite common nowadays. Do you think it’s a good idea to release alpha versions of adventure games?

Story rich DRM-free games for Windows, Mac and linux for direct download - https://fireflowergames.com/. Half the profit goes to projects that benefit the environment and game related projects.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

No

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I was just thinking that the other day when I was trying for an hour withouth success to play Dream (Steam Early Access). Definitely No.

Unlike Strategy or Multiplayer FPS, Adventure games are not highly replayable games for me and I don’t want the first contact to be a buggy mess

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

I also say no. I haven’t even tried the alpha of Moebius which was sent out to backers as I want to come to the game fresh when it is released.

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

That’s never a good idea. Why would you even think that’s even remotely close to a good idea?

If you release, release a completely finished product…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 298

Joined 2004-08-15

PM

Only in the way Double Fine will be doing alpha funding is it a good idea. Though if the game isn’t designed with an episodic structure in mind the result can be a less than ideal reception by customers and critics alike, like with The Raven.

Releasing a completely finished part of an adventure game early is alright, but since adventure games are unlike something like Minecraft or Prison Architect not very interesting to play once you already experienced the content, it doesn’t make a lot of sense as a customer to experience an unfinished adventure game. On the other hand, unfinished versions of Minecraft might have offered a different experience than the final version does. To see the game form over time while still being able to have fun with what you already got might even be of additional value.
But that’s because these games feature heavily simulated elements and a narrative that is merely implied and changes by what the player brings to the game, how he plays it and how the simulation of the game world plays out. Developers of such games give players the toolset to craft their own narratives, but they don’t preset a strictly scripted explicit narrative.

Simply put, adventure games are not really viable candidates for the alpha funding model, though episodic, piecemeal releases of finished, polished content can work for them.

Total Posts: 93

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Yeah, I don’t understand the sudden infatuation with all these alpha releases. It’s cool in theory to play a game early on but you’re really not going to get much enjoyment out of playing something in an unfinished, buggy state. There’s a reason testers get paid to endure the monotony of alphas so I’m not sure why you’d want to do it for free and for fun.

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

I would fundamentally disagree that adventure games are not replayable or interesting to play once you have completed the content.

I’ve replayed plenty of adventure games.

However Alphas for Adventure games are not a great idea as they tend to be more linear and less about the game mechanics than most other game types.

I think Adventure games would be more suited to the near completion demo model than a buggy unfinished release.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 619

Joined 2012-06-06

PM

Yeah, releasing Alphas isn’t great.  You’re not really playing the game early - you’re playing an unfinished and buggy version.  Unless you’re really looking to help a team out and play the hell out of it, take notes, mark bugs…. it’s not worth it for anyone involved.

Bt

Total Posts: 298

Joined 2004-08-15

PM

Lucien21 - 13 September 2013 05:06 PM

I would fundamentally disagree that adventure games are not replayable or interesting to play once you have completed the content.

I’ve replayed plenty of adventure games.

I’ve replayed adventure games too, but not for the gameplay. Once you know the solutions to the puzzles, they’re no challenge anymore, so you go through the motions, triggering the actions you know will lead to progress in the narrative or trying to find new content you might have possibly missed the previous times around. Nevertheless, it can be worth it to replay an adventure game, if just to experience the pre-set story by the author again, like it’s worth it to reread a book or rewatch a movie.

Total Posts: 213

Joined 2011-11-13

PM

No. But I like to check alphas after completing the final do see how the game and ideas evolved. Lost Horizon did it well, unlocking part after the game was done. Also The Whispered Wor[l]d 2005 alpha was nice to check out after I finished the retail version.

OT: Speaking of Lost Horizon, I’m really worried what is being done with sequel. Confused

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

In general, my answer would be a definite NO! But there is one game, Blizzard’s Warcraft Adventures: Lord of the Clans, whose production was cancelled when the game was near complete and it was never released. Apparently, the production was cancelled because the devs felt it wouldn’t measure up to Lucasarts’ CMI, which was released a year before, something I find to be an awfully silly decision since no games can measure up to CMI!!(personal opinion, offcourse). Anyway, with that particular game, I wouldn’t mind to see the alpha released, since the only other option is to not get to play it at all. From what I know, when production was cancelled, the game was completable and all the voice acting is in place.

Looks like it would’ve been good, no?

lewuz - 14 September 2013 04:50 AM

OT: Speaking of Lost Horizon, I’m really worried what is being done with sequel. Confused

I couldn’t agree more. I believe they’re making some huge mistakes. What makes it so surprising is that these exact same mistakes have been made by many developers before them. They should know they’re taking huge risks, that are very unlikely to pay off… I’m extremely disappointed, and if they don’t add point&click; controls before release, I’ll probably never play it.

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 213

Joined 2011-11-13

PM

According to Blizzard’s press release, which is partly in Wikipedia too, Warcraft Adventures wasn’t up to Blizzard standards. But I’ve also read that Blizzard (and whole industry) didn’t see future in 2D anymore and moved to 3D. Warcraft 3 came also in 3D.
I’ve always dreamed that as Blizzard is swimming in money, one day it allocates small team to finish and release WA. Not in alpha, but final form, not upgraded much, in 2D as it is. Just fix bugs, tie up loose ends, make it compatible etc. Not much money is needed even for marketing as Warcraft is pretty known name by now. Even better would be free game, of course. Let’s say, to market the upcoming movie.

And jumping back to Lost Horizon 2 3D and direct control topic - yes, there are lot to learn from, but I guess Animation Arts hopes to better mistakes of Jack Keane 2, Broken Sword 3, and I suppose - though I’m yet to play the Fenimore Fillmore trilogy - Wanted: A Wild Western Adventure.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

From what I’ve understood Warcraft Adventures was pretty far in terms of content and such. Some time ago there was a quite a lenghty Youtube video where some russian dude was playing through the alpha version of the game.

Total Posts: 88

Joined 2012-07-10

PM

tomimt - 14 September 2013 12:57 PM

From what I’ve understood Warcraft Adventures was pretty far in terms of content and such. Some time ago there was a quite a lenghty Youtube video where some russian dude was playing through the alpha version of the game.

Yep

Its look pretty good. Cool

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

They definetly poured some money on that. Too bad they never did release it.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top