• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445Lady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Area-X

Total Posts: 48

Joined 2013-04-25

PM

Hello!

I wanted to introduce everyone to my friends’ adventure game Grin Area-X is a 2D commercial game created by a duo of girls over a 2 year period.  Genre is mystery, sci-fi and romance.

AREA-X - A Time Traveling Game
In the far future, people live 1000 meters deep underground. Technology is abundant, but life is a constant struggle. An organization sought to end this by sending people back in time to recover lost natural resources. Elcia is one of such people. As a Time Negotiator, it’s her job to travel across various dimensions and negotiate with people of the past.

However, in a strange twist of fate, Elcia accidentally stumbled upon an unknown dimension known as “Area-X” during her very first mission. Following its discovery, more bizarre incidents and conspiracies awaited her one after another - all of this eventually led to discovering the uncanny nature of the world and how it all ties to Elcia’s very own mysterious past…

GAME OVERVIEW:

Area-X is a blend between Visual Novel and Adventure Game. Follow the story of Elcia as she time travels and solve mysteries of her surroundings. The game spans six chapters, of which you can explore multiple dimensions, complete missions and make choices to determine Elcia’s fate.

——-

You can play the demo here (Flash - PC/Mac/Linux): http://zeiva.net/otome/area_x_game_demo.html
All the illustrations are original, with 90 BGs (210 with variations), 86 CGs (142), 43 sprites, and 43 songs for the soundtrack.

While I wasn’t initially sure if the game could be considered an adventure game by typical standards as it shares visual novel aspects, reading the AG article on genre definition, it fit right in cause of the mini-games/puzzles, exploration, and telling of a great story.  As someone that’s played the game pretty thoroughly (beta-testing and proofreading), I can answer any questions you may have on the game.

Games Played: Ace Attorney (PW 1-3, Apollo Justice, Miles Investigation), Hotel Dusk and Last Window, Professor Layton (Curious Village, Diabolical Box, Unwound Future, Lost Specter), 999 and Zero Escape, Walking Dead S1-2, Trace Memory, Area-X, Time Hollow, Ghost Trick, Indian Jones FoA   Currently Playing: Portal 2, PL - Miracle Mask, Dangan Ronpa

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I checked out the demo for Area-X.
The demo itself is in my eyes a pure visual novel with only a few adventure game elements in it. There are only two minigames in the demo and they are imho really simple, but other than those two it’s all visual novel.
While that’s not a bad thing at all, I think the demo will appeal more to visual novel fans than to adventure gamers.

The demo only has the start of the story (and ends right when the plot thickens), so the game itself will likely feature a lot more puzzles. And if not, it at least starts off as a decent visual novel with pretty good graphics (especially for a Flash game), VERY good character sprites (!!!) and more than decent music.

The story itself (or what I experienced in the demo at least) has a certain Chrono Trigger vibe to it, and the “paths” that can be taken, remind me of Zero Escape: Virtue’s Last Reward. It’s pretty interesting so far, and I’m actually curious to see where it’ll all lead.
The writing is decent, and the characters each have an obviously distinct style (which is very good).

To summarize: the demo provides the game with a promising start (and I love the character sprites), but I’m not sure the demo is all that representative for the actual game. The emphasis in descriptions lie at “mix between adventure game, dating sim and visual novel” while the demo itself feels solely like a visual novel…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top