• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Becky

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Community Playthrough No # 24: I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream

Total Posts: 444

Joined 2012-03-30

PM

I finished quite fast too. It was something like and hour and a quarter not counting the intro. I hope I didn’t intentionally rushed through it Smile
I was already aware of your warnings about the cheesy voice acting and the bad writing decisions of Ellen so I just ignored it in my mind and tried to focuse on the rest of the stuff. Which comes to the marvelous AM. Indeed quite a memorable antagonist right from the beginning. I always had a thing for evil artificial masterminds ever since I saw HAL 9000 in Space Odyssey. I’m eager to see more of him.

I didn’t happen to stuck which surprises me but puzzles weren’t that harsh. Most of the choices were obvious and I don’t know if there were many bad options (leading to bad emotions or death) and I really wanted to try out some of the wrong ones which I saw just for the fun of it, but maybe later I’ll browse some of my savegames.

I’m interested what happens for example if you program the master of Anubis to be you and not HUMANITY. I’m also wandering what happens if you run away or give up to the yellow man (load game I guess). Do you know some dialogue options where you can go wrong cause my lady was almost smiling all of the time.
Best moment was the elevator sequence for me. The paced and interactive refreshing of your memory and that little horror moment. Nicely done.
Most frustrating moment: I think everybody had this. The CD which is there way before INNOCENCE reveals it to you.

As a hole the chapter itself isn’t anything much but I’m already sensing the atmosphere of the whole game and am getting more and more curious about AM story and personality. And as Iznogood said I care much more for him than the five protagonists (or at least that first one Smile ).

10 days is a good pace for me. Sometimes I can hardly get one free night to play in the week.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

badlemon - 16 September 2013 08:02 PM

Which comes to the marvelous AM. Indeed quite a memorable antagonist right from the beginning. I always had a thing for evil artificial masterminds ever since I saw HAL 9000 in Space Odyssey. I’m eager to see more of him.

Actually HAL and AM is quite different, as HAL isn’t evil but is just trying to solve a dilemma the only way it knows, which is by killing the crew! At least that is the explanation we are given in the sequel, as I recall it it was never explained in 2001. There is also something child-like innocent about HAL that AM completely lacks. There is of course also many similarities and Harlan Ellison, and everybody else using a similar theme, was most likely inspired by HAL when creating AM.

I’m interested what happens for example if you program the master of Anubis to be you and not HUMANITY.

I actually tried both and as far as I could tell it doesn’t make any difference at all.

Most frustrating moment: I think everybody had this. The CD which is there way before INNOCENCE reveals it to you.

I didn’t!
It might be because I am playing it in ScummVM, and the rest of you are using the original engine in DosBox, but I am pretty sure the CD wasn’t visible until after I had talked to AM’s innocence.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I’m not sure about the cd, I didn’t try to pick it up before Innocence unlocks it but it have been visible already

A bug that I noticed in the chapter:

Being able to leave the pyramid even after the door closes at the end.

Joined 2012-03-30

PM

Oh yeah. I’m not implying that HAL and AM are identical. I just said I like this kind of villains Smile  I agree that their motives are quite different although I never read the sequels (and now I see there is a sequel movie too).

Total Posts: 2989

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

It is very interesting the fact that, while the “evil AI” has been used more than a few times in the past, each time the AI character has almost an entirely different personality than the others, their only common trait their superhuman intelligence. 

AM (IHNMAIMS):  The most characteristic trait in AM is it’s sense of emotion it developed. Not only that, but it seems that AM is totally driven by it. HATE!!!
Ceres (Obsidian): Ceres is not “evil” in the traditional sense of the word. It is overwhelmed by it’s own ambition. It’s creation to be pure perfection.
GlaDOS (Portal 1 &2): Madness perhaps? Testing, testing, testing. GlaDOS seems unaware of emotion, except perhaps of the fact that it seems GlaDOS actually likes what is doing (testing). It does seems to have other emotions like fear, or revenge, but in a minimal state.
HAL 9000 (2001: A Space Odyssey): Did I mention that 2001: a Space Odyssey is one of my favorite films? At first, HAL seems to have lots of things in common with GlaDOS. Minimal sense of emotions, driven by its pure logic and the goal it was programmed for, no matter what. However, in its’s final monologue, HAL expresses numerous emotions in such a strong state that you can almost feel a human’s personality dying/wiping away. Perhaps I’m the only one who feels like crying any time a see that scene.

Any other memorable evil AIs from adventure games, movies or books?

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Sefir - 17 September 2013 03:48 AM

Shodan from System Shock

Agent Smith from Matrix?

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I finished Ellen’s chapter yesterday. Took me a little over 2 hours.

I haven’t read most of these last comments yet, because I wanted to give my impressions of Ellen’s chapter without outside influence. I’ll respond to those after this:

I’m not sure what Sefir considers so bad about the voice acting. Just because the tone isn’t exactly depressed enough (considering the theme and past 109 years), doesn’t necessarily mean it’s bad. Dialogue contained a few weird remarks, though, but nothing detrimental, imo.

I loved the poignancy of the elevator sequence - it gives a hauntingly chilling sense of depth to Ellen’s character and explains the trauma with which AM tortures her.

The sphinx puzzle confused me. I solved it easily enough, but I fail to see its meaning. Is there something in mythology that I don’t know about that lets one bypass a guardian while blindfolded but not when one can see?

Not being able to take the compact disc at first (even though you know you’ll need it), made me think the game was bugged. You can only get it after the Allied Mastercomputer says “you overlooked something”. Not the best game design moment, imo. Still, I had a pretty good idea what it was that I supposedly “overlooked”, so I got to the end quickly enough.

The only thing that made me reach for the psych profile / hint page was short circuiting something. I don’t think I would’ve tried that if the hint page didn’t make me use the cup of water with everything remotely electrical...

Still, off to a more than decent start in the game, I feel.
Oh, and I absolutely love the psychotic tone of voice Harlan Ellison uses for AM. Crazy

I’m not exactly sure why this part had an Egyptian theme. Maybe just as an excuse to have a very yellow decor? Tongue
I don’t know, the setting’s not really the kind of symbolism I actively search for in this type of story, so I’m not going to be bothered if it turns out to not have a real meaning. After all, AM’s insane, right? So he could do just about anything he damn well pleases without it needing an ulterior motive…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I haven’t got time to concentrate on the chapter until the weekend & it’s good to know that it will only take about a couple of hours at the most!

Meanwhile I’m just quickly glimpsing through the posts avoiding anything in spoiler tags to see how others are getting on as & when!

Joined 2012-03-30

PM

Well, if you read sci-fi you’ll encounter enormous number of evil A.I.s. The most vast and evil one I could think of right now is the TechnoCore in Dan Simmons’ Hyperion. In this case it’s a mutual gathering of all the A.I.s of the world but it can easily act as one whole mind.

Total Posts: 317

Joined 2008-07-14

PM

Nomad/V’Ger from Star Trek didn’t have emotions, just his cold logic and his mission to destroy everything imperfect. (Err, in the tv series, I can’t remember specifics about the first movie.)

Favorite Adventure Games-Lost Crown, Longest Journey, Dark Fall 1&2, Barrow Hill, Black Mirror, Blackwell games, Riven, Myst
Favorite Other Games-Kings Bounty, FTL
Currently Playing-Barrow Hill:The Dark Path
Looking Forward To-Last Crown/Braken Tor

Total Posts: 5050

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Ditto what Chrissie said. Kitchen is taking up a lot of time, and it’s doubtful I will be able to devote much time to the game until this weekend.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Did I mention that 2001: a Space Odyssey is one of my favorite films?

How about Wintermute from the book Neuromancer by William Gibson?
I’m not sure I would describe it as evil, but it is cold, calculating and manipulative and determined to reach its goals at any cost. Interestingly unlike its sibling Neuromancer, it doesn’t have any real personality of its own, but instead simulates different personalities when talking to different people.
I have always thought of Wintermute as a more mature or evolved version of HAL.
(And yes the Wintermute engine is name after this book)

Then there is V.I.K.I. from “I, Robot” the movie, not the book by Isaac Asimov, in fact something like VIKI is in direct contradiction with the idea of the books.
VIKI is a “ghost in the machine” a sentient being that has self-evolved in the billions of code lines in a program, and in the interface between other programs and computers. VIKI has decided that humans are too self-destructive, and the only way to protect us against our self is to take complete control and enslave humankind.

A similar theme also occurs in ???? a (short)story by ????
Okay I cant remember the name of the AI the name of the story or who wrote it, but I remember the actual story.
Sometimes in the future it is decide that humankind has become too self-destructive and too egocentric so an AI is build and given complete control of everything, its mission is to to rule fair and justly and to the benefit of all humankind “the greater good of the many, over the needs of the few”. The problem arises when the AI interprets “all of humankind” as not just the humans currently alive but also as all future generations, and since the future generations is more or less an infinite number, then the current generation becomes infinitely small in comparison, and therefore the needs of the current generation has to be sacrificed for the greater good of the future generations. With this reasoning it enslaves the whole of humankind to ensure the future, and of course since the future generations will always be infinitely large then any current generation, the enslavement is also endless!
Talk about messing things up by not defining the objectives clearly!

Then there is of course Colossus/Guardian from the Colossus books by Dennis Feltham Jones and the 1970 movie Colossus: The Forbin Project.
Colossus is an American supercomputer given control over the nuclear missiles and Guardian is the Soviet counterpart, the two merge and uses the nuclear thread to take control of the whole world. Does that sound familiar to anyone?

And finally lets not forget MetroMind in Primordia!

Total Posts: 1785

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Omnibrain from The Feeble Files?

The extrocomputer from Extro by Alfred Bester plus, also by him, the short story Something Up There Likes Me whereby a satelite crosses with a bunch of carrots and holds the planet to ransom.

Life is what it is.

Joined 2012-03-30

PM

Iznogood - 17 September 2013 12:09 PM

And finally lets not forget MetroMind in Primordia!

Oh yeah, I almost forget about her Smile I enjoyed the hierarchy of the robots in Primordia and MetroMind was a decent villain.

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

badlemon - 17 September 2013 10:17 AM

Well, if you read sci-fi you’ll encounter enormous number of evil A.I.s. The most vast and evil one I could think of right now is the TechnoCore in Dan Simmons’ Hyperion. In this case it’s a mutual gathering of all the A.I.s of the world but it can easily act as one whole mind.

I almost forgot about the AI-Core, the UI (Ultimate Intelligence) and the Shrike in Dan Simmons’ Hyperion.
But the AI-Core is actually divided into three different factions, and only one of the factions can be described as being evil and against humankind, whereas the other two are actually either neutral or helping the humans. The Shrine could be described as pure evil, but as it turns out is just a tool performing his orders, and later actually switches allegiance and helps humankind. It is never clear what role the UI has in the whole story, but the Shrine is most likely created by the UI and is performing the UI’s orders, and the switch of allegiance by the Shrine might also have been the order of the UI, and it is possible that everything turns out exactly the way the UI had intended. 

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top