• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Lady Kestrelwalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Community Playthrough No # 24: I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream

Total Posts: 2989

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Karmillo - 21 September 2013 05:38 PM
Iznogood - 16 September 2013 05:58 PM

I did however manage to get stuck no less then two times, the first when I had to pick up the yellow scarf, I knew that I would probably need it, but when she ran away screaming the first time, I just assumed I wouldn’t be able to pick it up now, and had to do something first or simply build her confidence up first, so I ran around for quite some time trying to do other things, before I finally tried to pick it up a second time.

This is what got me too

Remember that lesson for the futurue chapters. There will be more situations were something might not work on the first time, but on the second, or even the third. That includes not only inventory items, but also dialogue options.

rtrooney - 21 September 2013 07:41 PM

I regret to say that I won’t be able to participate any longer. I’m sure I’ll finish the game at some point, but just not as part of the CPT.

I had a kitchen remodel catastrophe occur last Friday night. We installed the new refrigerator Friday. Sometime around 10PM the valve that connects the fridge to the water line malfunctioned. By the time I discovered it Saturday morning water had been flowing freely for almost nine hours. Newly installed hardwood floor was ruined. A large amount of carpeting may also need to be replaced. It’s a f*****g mess, and has set everything back a good three weeks. Certainly not as bad as Interplay’s house burning down, but draining nonetheless.

I will lurk as time permits. Best of luck, and have fun everyone.

Frown

Mess indeed…
Good luck rtrooney.

(strangely enough, one of the chapters in IHNMAIMS does include a destroyed kitchen)

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Sorry to hear about the kitchen catastrophe, Tim. I hope you get everything fixed swiftly…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Having had a lot of building work done in the past that hasn’t gone so well in places I truly sympathise with you rtrooney & hope you get it all fixed! Yep! It’s a pain in the arse at the time! Hope to see you back soon.

Anyway, back to the game! I’ve started on Ellen’s story & haven’t got very far. I’ve looked at all of the monitors, switched them, & discovered a secret passage by the electronic walls but I’ve tried everything so far but nothing’s happening & I can’t open up the secret passage?

Total Posts: 109

Joined 2005-07-29

PM

chrissie - 22 September 2013 09:46 AM

Anyway, back to the game! I’ve started on Ellen’s story & haven’t got very far. I’ve looked at all of the monitors, switched them, & discovered a secret passage by the electronic walls but I’ve tried everything so far but nothing’s happening & I can’t open up the secret passage?

I remember this being kinda weird
if I’m remembering right I think you just push the electric bricks in the spot where the secret passage should be, it doesn’t look like it’s a separate hotspot from the others though. you might have to look at them first and then push them

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Thanks Karmillo, I’ve tried to push the electronic bricks in that location but all Ellen says is that there should be a secret door here & is AM messing around again (or something like that). It seems to indicate that I’ve done something wrong somewhere else (not that there’s a lot to do wrong just yet!)?

Joined 2005-07-29

PM

chrissie - 22 September 2013 10:08 AM

Thanks Karmillo, I’ve tried to push the electronic bricks in that location but all Ellen says is that there should be a secret door here & is AM messing around again (or something like that). It seems to indicate that I’ve done something wrong somewhere else (not that there’s a lot to do wrong just yet!)?

Yeah that’s what I remember being kinda weird, it felt like I had tried to push them once and it didn’t work and then it worked when I tried doing it again. Or it might be that you “use” the electric blocks, the game seems to be a bit flaky with the verbs push/take/use sometimes.

Edit: went back an had a look and just realised something There some loose wires under the left most monitor that you have to use first. The first time I played that I had just used the wires when I first found them and had no idea what that actually accomplished.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Thanks Karmillo, I’ve tried using the wires already - mmm…. just a thought I’ll go back & try again!

Joined 2005-07-29

PM

Yeah there could be a required order or something

Switch monitor and leave it showing the passage
Look at bricks where passage should be
push/use bricks
fix wires
push/use bricks

I’m not sure if all of those steps are required but starting the chapter from scratch and doing that seems to work.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Thanks Karmillo, I’ve managed to get the opening opened! Maybe I used the wrong command on the wires or the game is just plain picky!

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Karmillo - 21 September 2013 05:38 PM
TimovieMan - 17 September 2013 06:31 AM

The sphinx puzzle confused me. I solved it easily enough, but I fail to see its meaning. Is there something in mythology that I don’t know about that lets one bypass a guardian while blindfolded but not when one can see?

From what I gathered from the moniter showing the room as being empty and her remarks about not being able to hear the monster after she left the room was that the monster was just in her head. I think the guardian just staying there even after Ellen blindfolds herself might have been a graphics glitch.

I guess it is possibe, I didn’t think much about it before you mentioned it, but isn’t there also one thing missing from all the other pictures on the monitors? I’m pretty certain Anubis is also not shown on the monitors. I don’t think there is any graphical glitches here, but that it is simply a case of “if I cant see you, then you can’t see me!

To answer TimoviMan’s question, then I don’t know if it has any root in mythology, but in a more modern context, it is quite common that you will turn into stone if you look into the eyes of a sphinx, and you can pass simply by closing your eyes or using a blindfold.

Sorry to hear about your troubles Rtrooney, I hope it all ends well, and doesn’t cost you too much.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2005-07-29

PM

Iznogood - 22 September 2013 04:34 PM

I guess it is possibe, I didn’t think much about it before you mentioned it, but isn’t there also one thing missing from all the other pictures on the monitors? I’m pretty certain Anubis is also not shown on the monitors. I don’t think there is any graphical glitches here, but that it is simply a case of “if I cant see you, then you can’t see me!

Well in the dosbox version at least Anubis is in the Monitor, but for some reason he is standing in the centre of the room with his head down. This threw me for a bit because I thought it has some relevance back when I didn’t realise you could pick the scarf up, ended up not meaning anything at all as far as I know.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

To answer TimoviMan’s question, then I don’t know if it has any root in mythology, but in a more modern context, it is quite common that you will turn into stone if you look into the eyes of a sphinx, and you can pass simply by closing your eyes or using a blindfold.

Isn’t that the eyes of the medusa?

Concerning the blindfold puzzles, wether it’s a bug or not, although it’s a nice puzzle, I don’t think those parts were not very well executed, gameplay wise, I didn’t make much sense to put the blindfold and control Ellen normally, it would have been more interesting to change something like the screen going dark or something.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

wilco - 22 September 2013 05:59 PM

Isn’t that the eyes of the medusa?

In mythology yes.
In Greek mythology the sphinxes are riddlers mainly known for the famous Riddle of the Sphinx.
But for example in The Never Ending Story:

The first gate is the Great Riddle Gate, which consists of two Sphinxes who face one another. In Greek mythology, the Sphinx presents riddles and punishes those who cannot guess them. Fantastican Sphinxes are blind: their eyes do not take in light, rather they send forth all the riddles in the world. Those caught between their gaze are frozen on the spot and doomed to remain until they solve every riddle, or until the more likely outcome that they die. There is a random chance the Sphinxes will close their eyes and allow a person to pass, however. It is possible that being afraid is the key to passing this gate.

I could probably find other examples where the focus are on the eyes of the sphinx, but I’m to lazy to actually do that.

But I agree, the puzzle really doesn’t make much sense!

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I’m late to the party and will be a tad late for the first chapter since I doubt I can play it through tonight. But I cleared my playlist for now and would like to participate. I didn’t read all this discussion yet in fear of spoilers. Anyway, I also would have chosen Ellen first, though only because she’s the youngish woman, so she’s the one I identify myself the most. Too bad if her character/voice acting/both are the weak point of the game. But anyway, will start the game this week.

Oh btw, any idea where I could read the short story? Can’t find it in libraries near me and I’ve wanted to read it for a while. - Well, scratch that then. The short story collection with the same name is actually listed on the Finnish bookstore I usually order my stuff from anyway - silly me.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 2989

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Deleted.

I almost gave the green flag a day earlier than I supposed!  Grin

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top