• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

HeXit - Point and Click Sci-fi Adventure Game on Kickstarter

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2012-06-08

PM

Whoever likes sci-fi and the point-and-click adventure game style should check the following project on Kickstarter:

HeXit - Point and Click Sci-fi Adventure Game

If you like the concept then help the campaign for HeXit to reach its goal!

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Ugh… so.. theyr looking for funding just for the first episode? Are they going to do a 75k kickstarter for every episode?
When a developer puts an hour total on a game before its been made, im going to go ahead and discard that estimate.

EDIT: and thats the thing about episodic gaming, it is absolutely key that you have a schedule and a plan in place. We should know how many episodes there will be, when they will be released, and whether or not theyr included in this kickstarter or they’ll be separately funded. You cant just take a very short game and call it episodic with the intention of funding more later.

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2012-06-08

PM

The first episode is a full game not just a part of the game.

Total Posts: 34

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

Wow, $75 000. For an unknown game, by unknown people.
I don’t understand that the first episode of x episodes is a full game. Because if it’s an episode, it’s part of the game. x episodes equals full game.

Of course, by the look of the graphics, I would understand the budget. It might cost more to develop a game with such graphics. At least with 8-10 hours of gameplay for each episode.

Wish you good luck.

- Atle

Last Completed
Kelvin and the Infamous Machine ★★★

Currently Playing
The Night of the Rabbit 20% ★★★★★
Fran Bow 80% ★★★★
Batman: A Telltale Game Series 40% ★★★★★
Kelvin and the Infamous Machine 25% ★★★★

Next Up
Sam & Max: The Devils Playhouse (40%) on hold
The Book of Unwritten Tales: The Critter Chronicles
Runaway: A Twist of Fate 50% (on hold)

Total Posts: 70

Joined 2004-02-18

PM

jannar85 - 08 June 2012 06:30 PM

I don’t understand that the first episode of x episodes is a full game. Because if it’s an episode, it’s part of the game. x episodes equals full game.

That view is too simplistic. It depends entirely on how the developers handle it. There are plenty of “full games” with episodic storylines and cliffhanger endings - see Syberia 1 & 2, for instance, and there’s nothing that prevents “episodic games” from having more or less self contained episodes with a hint of something bigger.

The same is true in terms of length. There are full games that lasts only an hour or two, and there are episodic games that lasts for a good while longer.

A lot of people seems to get stuck on the idea that if they pay for an episode, they pay for part of a game, and that’s completely wrong. They pay for that chunk of entertainment, just like with any other game, and hopefully that entertainment is in itself worth the asking price. If it isn’t, then it’s a poor deal, but that’s just as true of full games as well.

Edit: I kinda like the looks of this one, sort of like that Perry Rhodan game. The environments and cutscenes looks very professional. Not sure about the main character, though.

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

It looks nice, but I just don’t think it stands out to me. I’m out.

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Kolorabi - 09 June 2012 04:54 AM

There are plenty of “full games” with episodic storylines and cliffhanger endings - see Syberia 1 & 2, for instance, and there’s nothing that prevents “episodic games” from having more or less self contained episodes with a hint of something bigger.

The problem is, calling it episodic brings some very specific expectations in the context of the modern industry. In effect its a license to make shorter cheaper games with the assumption that there’ll be a whole. They didnt label syberia the first episode before it even came out. So if theyr using a telltale-ish model they need to be more clear about how the other episodes will come out, and if theyr not using that model, then they should re-word it as being a series they plan to make multiple games for… but in any event it sounds like this first episode will probably be the length of an average telltale episode.
And personally id rather not enter a “season” of games where i need to join a kickstarter for every individual episode. Thats really the only thing that would make sense, since theyr only looking for 75k to make a game with higher quality graphics.

Total Posts: 70

Joined 2004-02-18

PM

zane - 09 June 2012 12:34 PM

The problem is, calling it episodic brings some very specific expectations in the context of the modern industry. In effect its a license to make shorter cheaper games with the assumption that there’ll be a whole.

My point, though, is that these expectations don’t mean so much in the current adventure genre. You’ve got the Blackwell-games, for instance. Are they episodic? They aren’t much longer than the larger Telltale-episodes, and it’s very clear that there’s a larger story arch. And the as you point out, they didn’t call the first Syberia an episodic game, but in terms of how the story evolved it certainly felt like one. So did the second, for that matter.

And personally id rather not enter a “season” of games where i need to join a kickstarter for every individual episode.

I doubt very much that this will be the case. Kickstarter is about kickstarting a project, and it would in my opinion be abusing the system if a developer returns to it again and again (I don’t think it’d work either). Once they’ve developed a game with the aid of Kickstarter funds they should use the profits to fund their new projects, not come back to ask for more money. I feel the same way for all the other Kickstarter-successes too, if Tim Schafer comes back after his adventure, pockets all the profits from the actual sales and goes “hey you gave us so much money last time, how about we do that again eh?” then that would be a real disappointment to me.

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I’m not bothered about the “episodes”. There’s several hours and a full story, it’s a full game to me, even if the sequels are already planned out.

I like sci-fi so I’ll be getting back to this project too once the Tex KS ends and I see my money situation for the summer.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 43

Joined 2009-12-24

PM

it looks okay,, but there nothing really to go on. and 75k is a lot for something unknown.

sometimes i think people need to put more though into their campaigns. look at lilly looking through, release a demo, charm everyones socks off and ask for a small amount to help speed up the game that will easliy be attained and not damage your reputation or call the game as a whole to come into question.

what happened to saving up money, investing and producing something first THEN going to an audience with something tangible and asking for help.

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Kolorabi - 10 June 2012 06:20 AM

Once they’ve developed a game with the aid of Kickstarter funds they should use the profits to fund their new projects, not come back to ask for more money.

This is wishful thinking, mark my words. Theyr asking for 75k, and theyr doing a boxed version at $70. Either somthing is severely fishy or they plan to do 4 of these fundraisers.
The technicality of whether somthing fits with the word “episodic” is irrelevant. This is about the uncertainty of the business model theyr using.

Total Posts: 77

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I feel the same way for all the other Kickstarter-successes too, if Tim Schafer comes back after his adventure, pockets all the profits from the actual sales and goes “hey you gave us so much money last time, how about we do that again eh?” then that would be a real disappointment to me.

With so many people backing and thus already getting the game, I doubt Tim Shafer makes a lot of profit from sales. Who’s left to sell this game to?

Total Posts: 40

Joined 2011-12-15

PM

I like sci-fi and stuff and this seems rather cool but why the hell they’d put a lusty female character as the main role (it couldn’t be more cliche)?

This game is mainly targeted for men, so it’d make sense to put a male as the main role.

I’m not funding just because of that.

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

Erwin_Br - 10 June 2012 02:24 PM

With so many people backing and thus already getting the game, I doubt Tim Shafer makes a lot of profit from sales. Who’s left to sell this game to?

A lot of goddamn people.

87,000 people backed DFA in a 30 day period, with no information on the game whatsoever. A very small fraction of consumers are willing to do this on good faith. For every person that backed, there are 5 people that saw it and didn’t back because they want to see how it comes out, and 5 more that never saw it at all, but will in the future, once it’s out or closer to release.

For comparison, Machinarium (which did well but certainly didn’t have this level of promotion or public interest) sold 300,000 in its first few months. If DFA did only that much, they will have made another 3 million dollars.

You are out of your mind if you think Double Fine Adventure doesn’t at least make a few million dollars in profits after it’s released.

if Tim Schafer comes back after his adventure, pockets all the profits from the actual sales and goes “hey you gave us so much money last time, how about we do that again eh?” then that would be a real disappointment to me.

I think to do that would be absolutely predatory, and I think most people would see it that way, too. It’s an important part of the successful Kickstarter narrative to justify WHY you are asking people to give you a gift (and it IS a gift, not a purchase. There’s no promise the game at the end will be worth it).

The Tex Murphy people were pretty clear that they are looking at this as a one time only thing, and while they would like to continue the series, the only way they will do that is if the profits from Project Fedora justify it.

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

bulak - 10 June 2012 03:47 PM

This game is mainly targeted for men, so it’d make sense to put a male as the main role.

I’m not funding just because of that.

I do hope you realize why thats a terrible reason.

Total Posts: 77

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Frogacuda - 10 June 2012 03:48 PM

A lot of goddamn people.

You are out of your mind if you think Double Fine Adventure doesn’t at least make a few million dollars in profits after it’s released.

Yikes, did I hurt your feelings or something? Sure, my statements might have been unfounded, based on nothing but speculation, but dude you seriously need to lighten up.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top