• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Charophycean

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

New here and absolutely stoked to see the adventure genre getting such love these days

Total Posts: 117

Joined 2013-08-31

PM

Hey all, I just stumbled across this site checkin up on some stuff…finishing up Chains of Satinav and dying to get into Memoria. But just wanted to say that I been adventure gaming since the mid to late 80s with KQ and all those fabulous games that came out during the late 80s, early 90s etc…

Its not that the genre really left but it seemed of really taken a backseat with a lot of gamers in my travels, and now it seems that with all these wonderful ways for devs to get their games out, people are now able to see and appreciate the genre a lot more.

To me its one of the most fun and exciting genres simply because ive always found the detail factor to be through the roof in most of them. Sights, sounds, ambiance…has stuck with me from adventure game to adventure game and has been a favorite of mine ever since.

Im a huge fan of of course the big names, KQ, SQ, PQ, LSL, MI etc…been everywhere in between from Rex Nebular to Full Throttle to Maniac Mansion and on and on.

Im just so happy to see them coming out almost as they did in the 80s and 90s, it such a great feeling.

However, I really am still waiting for a new Quest for Glory and Maniac Mansion, they are still two of my all time favorite series, along with Kyrandia which I miss a lot as well.

But in anycase, theres still a good few newer ones I need to play that have come out recently and I plan to do so. But right now im wrapping up CoS and going to step into Memoria. So that’s me! Looks like a fun site and lookin forward to talking some great adventure games here with everyone Cool

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Cool nick Tongue Welcome!

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

It’s always great to have new people dropping by. Welcome to the site, Savatage Smile

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

We never really got much love. The most love we got was in the glory days of the 80s and early 90s, when adventure games were the “standard” and when you told a friend you played a computer game on the weekend, he thought you meant Enchanter or Space Quest or Monkey Island or Tex Murphy. I don’t think it will ever be like that again.

Joined 2013-08-31

PM

Thanks for the welcome!! And yea, Savs is my all time favorite band, simply the best!

And what I meant more or less is that the genre itself is having a more steady flow of games again. It will never be on top like it was, but it doesn’t to not be on top for us fans!

Just seeing the avenues that dev teams have now a days is so great for the genre via kickstarter etc…it opens the doors to the genre again. For awhile it seemed to hit a total stagnant state, in the late 90s and good part of 2000s.

But now it really seems to be back in full swing and for that im simply pumped!

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Welcome! Smile

It’s good to see such optimism again, because the outlook did look gloomy for a while with all the reports about the ‘death of adventure games’ at the turn of the century. I never believed that, because as we all know quantity doesn’t equal quality and I can still look back those ‘gloomy years’ and find more than one great adventure game from each year, even if there were fewer being made.

One thing’s for sure, the genre is alive and kicking so let’s enjoy it!

Joined 2013-08-31

PM

I think a new audience is also starting to enjoy them. I think for the generation of gamers that never experienced them to now see them popping up more is really catching their interest.

Ive always been one to love all different gaming genres. The late 90s and early 2000s were annoying for me simply because it seemed people didn’t understand that not every game needs to be a real time shooter/action type game, which is how it felt to me.

These games offer such incredible atmosphere, storytelling, puzzle solving, great soundtracks…its simply one of the best genres ever for me, and I want more!

I though keep waiting for the next chapter in Quest for Glory, I just want to see a team get together and make it happen!

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Welcome to the forums Sav. You have a good taste in music I see…

As for the genre in the late 90’s - early 2000’s, though it was a bit annoying to see all time classic masterpiecies like Grim Fandango sell poorly at the time, there were exceptions too, The Longest Journey been the most well known, with many copies sold. I believe that the problem was more of a commercial/financial nature than a produced games quality one…

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Well, a great taste in games AND in music. You’re definitely welcome here… Wink

Savatage79 - 01 September 2013 12:54 AM

I though keep waiting for the next chapter in Quest for Glory, I just want to see a team get together and make it happen!

Are you aware that Lori and Corey Cole, the designers of the QfG games, are developing Hero-U after they got Kickstarted?
And that Infamous Quest (with forum members Blackthorne and Lambonius on the design team) are developing Quest for Infamy, a similarly Kickstarted game?

Hero-U thread on the forums
Quest for Infamy thread on the forums

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2013-08-31

PM

Sefir - 01 September 2013 03:04 AM

Welcome to the forums Sav. You have a good taste in music I see…

As for the genre in the late 90’s - early 2000’s, though it was a bit annoying to see all time classic masterpiecies like Grim Fandango sell poorly at the time, there were exceptions too, The Longest Journey been the most well known, with many copies sold. I believe that the problem was more of a commercial/financial nature than a produced games quality one…

Oh I know, there were the exceptions for sure. And im stoked for the new chapter in the Longest Journey series, I love that series! Siberia I and II were also great games as well, I loved the setting in those two. Im just so happy that we see a nice swing more regularly again, that’s what has me pumped.

Tim, thankyou! And omg I didn’t know about U Hero, just watched that vid and it looks incredible, awesome stuff!

Total Posts: 523

Joined 2010-02-08

PM

Besides Hero-U and Quest for Infamy, there’s also Mage’s Initiation, another QfG-inspired game which was successfully Kickstarted. So Quest for Glory fans have several upcoming games to look forward to.

You mentioned you watched the Hero-U video; I assume meaning the Kickstarter pitch video. If you want to keep tabs on the game’s development, you may also be interested in reading the public updates, at least starting from Update #30 after the Kickstarter ended, and working your way forward to the newest updates.

The game has evolved since the pitch, as games often do. The team changed a bit, losing a couple members and adding a few new ones, including Terry Robinson, the art lead from Quest for Glory V. They also switched to the Unity engine and changed the art style to be isometric perspective. These changes slowed progress a fair bit (making content creation tools for a new engine is always a big hurdle) but the end result should be a better game. Starting from Update #34, you can see concept art and a work-in-progress prototype screenshot as the updates continue.

Total Posts: 619

Joined 2012-06-06

PM

Hey, welcome to the forums.  And guys, thanks for all the shout outs for Quest For Infamy. That is very cool - like Caliburn said, if you enjoy Quest For Glory, you should check out Mage’s Initiation, too!

You can download a fully playable demo of Quest For Infamy at http://www.QuestForInfamy.com - scroll to the bottom of the page - it’s available for PC, Mac and Linux!

I’m glad you found this site - it’ll cover all your needs for adventure gaming, and there’s plenty of great people around here that will discuss the minutiae of the games we all love so much!

Bt

Joined 2013-08-31

PM

Great info guys, thanks so much. Man it is incredible seeing these games finding a way to get out and about. Absolutely love how QFI looks…now has the release date been set yet? I am thinking about pre ordering a physical copy.

Total Posts: 619

Joined 2012-06-06

PM

Savatage79 - 01 September 2013 10:43 AM

Great info guys, thanks so much. Man it is incredible seeing these games finding a way to get out and about. Absolutely love how QFI looks…now has the release date been set yet? I am thinking about pre ordering a physical copy.

We don’t have a definitive date set yet, but I anticipate it within the next few months.  We’ll be making an announcement soon when we get the solid date locked, so I’ll be sure to let you know!  If you get a chance, play the demo - it’s a little game all to itself.

(Though, honestly, after playing the game a bunch these last few days, I can say that all the little improvements we’ve made to the areas that are in the demo are pretty incredible! So the final product will have a few more surprises than what you’ll see in the demo!)

Bt

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

always happy to see more adventurers who appreciate the past, present and future of the genre! welcome!

Joined 2013-08-31

PM

Blackthorne - 01 September 2013 10:39 AM

Hey, welcome to the forums.  And guys, thanks for all the shout outs for Quest For Infamy. That is very cool - like Caliburn said, if you enjoy Quest For Glory, you should check out Mage’s Initiation, too!

You can download a fully playable demo of Quest For Infamy at http://www.QuestForInfamy.com - scroll to the bottom of the page - it’s available for PC, Mac and Linux!

I’m glad you found this site - it’ll cover all your needs for adventure gaming, and there’s plenty of great people around here that will discuss the minutiae of the games we all love so much!

Bt

Oh you’re part of the team, awesome!! I’m excited for the game, the way it looks is pure gaming gold in my eyes, I am pumped. Gonna make a pre order!

And I will definitely check out Mages Initiation!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top