• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Kid-friendly recommendations

Total Posts: 268

Joined 2008-07-05

PM

Zifnab - 26 August 2013 07:32 PM

The Wallace & Gromit game would be a better choice, if you ask me.

Sorry I’m a bit late but just back from holiday Smile

Yep, can confirm that Wallace & Gromit worked well with my 5 & a half year old son. His 2 biggest favourites are without a doubt Machinarium & Botanicula. And he also enjoyed the casual games Thunder Island & Shangri-La. We got them free thanks to backing the Tex kickstarter & the difficulty level is well suited to him.

I’d have thought Sam & Max wouldn’t be so suited to younger children? And I have to admit I’d be a bit wary of some language in The Longest Journey (Flipper & Zack being the main two who come to mind) as well as the themes maybe being a bit heavy for younger children? He had a certain interest in The Whispered World…but it bored me stiff Wink. Interested to hear of any other post-Lucas-Arts games which might work.

Total Posts: 134

Joined 2007-03-25

PM

Lambonius - 26 August 2013 03:08 PM

I never thought I’d find myself recommending King’s Quest 7, but yeah, for a 7-year old girl, it should be at least tolerable.  Wink

King’s Quest 6, for that matter, is a pretty classic fairy tale love story, and would be a good game to play through with her.

Along with KQ7, I’d recommend Torin’s Passage (if you can find it). Same cartoony graphics, rather innocent, and it doesn’t take itself too seriously—it’s a funny game.

Total Posts: 124

Joined 2013-08-10

PM

If she enjoys Ancient Egypt or a lot of exploration and puzzles, she might like Riddle of the Sphinx. Back in the day, it got me into adventure games. It can be difficult to find nowadays, and getting the older version (the devs rereleased it a few years ago for XP) to work is a pain, but it’s (really) fun.

One thing to note though is that, because it takes place in tomb complexes, there are some skeletons and creepiness, but nothing horrible. There are a few times you can die, and the screen has a red skull that comes up on screen when this happens.

Other than that, nothing too scary.

Another thing: the creators are Christian, and the ending heavily reflects this. Basically, the premise of the game is that the Jewish Ark of the Covenant (the box the Ten Commandments were carried in, according to the Bible) was buried under the Sphinx. At the end of RotS you get to discover it.

There are also a few mild acknowledgements of thanks to the Christian God and Christ in the credits.

Being Christian, I wasn’t offended, but some people are, so I thought I’d mention it.

Hope you and your daughter find something fun to play together. You’ve certainly got a myriad of good suggestions to choose from!  Thumbs Up

K R Parkinson - Staff Writer

Contact: .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Total Posts: 415

Joined 2007-12-29

PM

oh yes, Torin’s passage was another one my children really loved!  My grand kids still want to play that one when they come over!

Total Posts: 14

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Thanks to however recommended Emerald City Confidential - we finished it tonight and she absolutely loved it! I downloaded The Inner World today and we have made a start - o far so good. Have also downloaded Simon the Sorcerer but she wanted to do TIW first. She is desperate for me to let her play through The Wolf but the language and violence is way too much!

Cheers
JB

Total Posts: 191

Joined 2004-12-30

PM

While they aren’t adventure games per se, the I Spy games utilize some of the same skills used in adventure games, are challengingly fun, and feature surprisingly good graphics.

There is a trio of educational games named Physicus, Chemicus, and Bioscopia which teach the basics of physics, chemistry, and biology in a puzzle-solving adventure game format.  Taken purely as adventure games they’re quite fun and non-violent, and all the answers are provided in-game.

Warning- People won’t have as much of a sense of humor about you putting an Alka Seltzer in your mouth then staggering into a restaurant while shouting “THE VIRUS HAS MUTATED!” as you’d hope they would.

Consider this: People say “Ewwww!!!” when they hear about a guy having a hairy bum or hairy back, yet every Teddy Bear ever made has had both a hairy bum AND a hairy back and nobody complains about them; In fact, people think Teddy Bears are adorable.

Total Posts: 7

Joined 2014-09-28

PM

I recently started playing point-and-click adventure games and am on the hunt for more. My five year old son likes to watch me play and occasionally help, so we need titles that are not scary/too violent. I also personally don’t care for horror or too much atmosphere (I played Gone Home with every light in the house on because I was not convinced until the credits that something wasn’t going to jump out at me).

We love Botanicula and really like Machinarium. I don’t hate The Inner World except for the draaawwwnnnn out dialogues.

Thanks!

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Journey of a Roach also would do, but there are not much of those friendly, easy, charming looking adventure interfaces around , in other word;  suitable for 5 years old child. maybe you need to take him to another level or least soon. Grin

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Clubberella - 28 September 2014 03:24 PM

We love Botanicula and really like Machinarium. I don’t hate The Inner World except for the draaawwwnnnn out dialogues.

Thanks!

Anika’s Odyssey - http://www.miniclip.com/games/anikas-odyssey/en/
The Whispered World
Don’t play The Longest Journey.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

diego - 28 September 2014 04:20 PM

Thanks!

Anika’s Odyssey - http://www.miniclip.com/games/anikas-odyssey/en/
The Whispered World
Don’t play The Longest Journey.

how come , haven’t read the OP good?, Diego ?

Total Posts: 4253

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Deja vu. Check this thread.

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Advie - 28 September 2014 04:29 PM

how come , haven’t read the OP good?, Diego ?

OK, let’s see:

so we need titles that are not scary/too violent

The Whispered World is not horror, and not too violent.

I don’t hate The Inner World except for the draaawwwnnnn out dialogues.

He doesn’t hate The Inner World - he DOESN’T HATE The Inner World! Except for the drawn out dialogues. Everyone who doesn’t hate The Inner World, surely wouldn’t hate The Whispered World, too (hey, they both got “World” in the title!):

Satisfied? Tongue

Now, comes the tricky part:

We love Botanicula and really like Machinarium.

Both Machinarium and the German version of The Whispered World were released in 2009. Both in Botanicula, and The Whispered World the hero(es) set up on an epic journey to save the world. Elementary!

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 345

Joined 2012-04-04

PM

Broken age would seem a pretty good pick. There’s what some may deem inappropriate humour but it’s more than likely to go over a youngin’s head IMO.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

zobraks - 28 September 2014 04:35 PM

Deja vu. Check this thread.

Thanks for that. Merging both and putting the link in the recommendations thread. Cool

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 268

Joined 2008-07-05

PM

A.A - 28 September 2014 04:52 PM

Broken age would seem a pretty good pick. There’s what some may deem inappropriate humour but it’s more than likely to go over a youngin’s head IMO.

Broken Age was definitely a success with my son (6 years old) and 2 of the first adventures he played were Machinarium and Botanicula so there’s definitely a similarity. He also played and enjoyed with us all the Wallace & Gromit Telltale games, Secret of Monkey Island remake, and Lilly Looking Through (though that grabbed him a bit less I think). We’re currently in the middle of The Book of Unwritten Tales, and that’s definitely very suitable too.

We did start The Whispered World but it’s very slow and as me & my wife also found it pretty yawn-inducing, I have to admit that we gave up on it Wink .

Oops…I see I’ve already made some similar recommendations on that other thread Meh . Oh well, a couple are new at least…

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top