• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Simon the Sorcerer: 20th Anniversary Edition just released on Android!

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

diego - 24 August 2013 06:48 PM

I’ve never liked the look of Scummvm filters, which is similar to this. It just looks too “artificial”, too “edgy”. The biggest “casualty” when switching to filtered version is probably the little colors gradient leading to less “artistic” and more “flash-based” look. Just compare the fires on those two screenshots - you can sense the warmth on the first one, and the second one is just as someone put orange-yellow paper in there.

That’s because the original graphics were drawn with pixels in mind. The pixels are part of the art.

Imagine ‘upgrading to HD’ this van Gogh painting by removing the broad brushstrokes. Would it be an improvement?

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Oscar - 24 August 2013 07:17 PM

That’s because the original graphics were drawn with pixels in mind. The pixels are part of the art.

Which is the reason why these filters look a little bland. I’m not saying they’re useless, though - there’re probably folks who prefer to use filters, or they wouldn’t have existed.

Not even the completely remade graphics outmatched the original yet, let alone the filters. Monkey Island 2 Special Edition’s graphics looked very good, yes, but it still lacked that subtle “painterly” style of the original.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I agree that the filters don’t do the graphics any favours. It’s missing the charm and character of the original graphics, imo.

But then again, that shouldn’t pose a problem:

Sir^Knigget - 24 August 2013 04:18 PM

The game allows you to choose between 4 different graphic settings, including “original”, which displays the exact original game pixels.

Btw, what are the other 2 graphic settings?

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 16

Joined 2013-08-24

PM

Oscar - 24 August 2013 07:17 PM
diego - 24 August 2013 06:48 PM

I’ve never liked the look of Scummvm filters, which is similar to this. It just looks too “artificial”, too “edgy”. The biggest “casualty” when switching to filtered version is probably the little colors gradient leading to less “artistic” and more “flash-based” look. Just compare the fires on those two screenshots - you can sense the warmth on the first one, and the second one is just as someone put orange-yellow paper in there.

Imagine ‘upgrading to HD’ this van Gogh painting by removing the broad brushstrokes. Would it be an improvement?

Since I do take your feedback seriously, I attempted to scale the given Van Gogh picture using our own scaler.
This is the result:

The left picture is your own, the right is after my scaling. No detail loss as far as I can see.

Now, if I would upscale Van Gogh to 4x with my scaler, that would be the result (using external link, since the forum likes to cut stuff):

Left is your Van Gogh (pixelated), right is Van Gogh after my scaler.

Joined 2013-08-24

PM

Bonsai - 24 August 2013 07:15 PM

The game allows you to choose between 4 different graphic settings, including “original”, which displays the exact original game pixels.
Since different people have different opinions on this,and some people prefer the nostalgic look and feel, the settings are for you to choose.

With all the haggling….I thought this might need to be stated again so there is no confusion.

Thank you for this.  Need a few games on my tablet for the “road.”
Have anymore Adventures in the “pipeline?”

Yep, more adventures down the pipeline… But finish this one first Smile

Joined 2013-08-24

PM

TimovieMan - 24 August 2013 07:46 PM

But then again, that shouldn’t pose a problem:

Btw, what are the other 2 graphic settings?

The 2 other graphic settings are additional scaler presets that are designed to work on less powerful devices.

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

You’re awfully defensive for a professional who is asking for feedback from the community.  Though you may not intend to, some of your posts come across as talking down to us.

The main problem with the smoothed version is that there is a loss of the illusion of texture and depth that exists in the original pixelized version.  Certain surfaces look less textured (the floor, for example), and the smoothing flattens out certain areas that are supposed to appear to recede or protrude (and that create this illusion more clearly in the original.)  An example of an area that loses some of its sense of depth and separation between objects is the alcove with the fire and pot.  It’s a somewhat subtle thing, and many players probably won’t notice it, but anyone with an eye for art can clearly see the difference in the side-by-side you’ve shown.

That said, I agree that this is not an issue if playing with the original graphics is an option.  However, it is a little misleading to refer to it as “HD,” since most “HD remakes” actually have repainted graphics, and that’s what most people will expect when you use that term.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Lambonious gave a good explanation of it. I’d also add, that filter you use makes everything look like melted. Simon’s sprite looks like wax melting on heat. The loss of detail is can be seen well on Simon or the chain or the flowers outside the door. The scaled chain looks partially made of s shapes, while the original looks like a chain. Outside flowers look like blob of colors while the pixel art makes them more flowerish.

Total Posts: 179

Joined 2004-01-25

PM

I think it looks really nice, actually. A lot more palatable to a modern audience.

Let us not get tied down with silly art arguments anyway, does anyone really think that the original Simon game was drawn the way it was because the creators were big fans of pixel art? Methinks perhaps it was a result of only having a certain amount of colours and pixels with which to make their graphics detailed and complete? The whole argument comparing modifying a Van Go is entirely spurious.

Unfortunately, I don’t have an android device, so I won’t be able to play it.

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

Toefur - 25 August 2013 01:37 AM

Methinks perhaps it was a result of only having a certain amount of colours and pixels with which to make their graphics detailed and complete?

You’re absolutely right.  However, they most certainly designed those graphics to take advantage of the textures of the pixels themselves in order to create certain illusions within the paintings.  When you smooth out those textures, you lessen the effectiveness of some of those illusions.  How important this is to you is certainly a matter of opinion, but to argue that it doesn’t actually happen is simply incorrect.

Frankly, I’m not quite sure who the audience is for the “smoothed pixel” look.  Certainly a game like this is primarily going to appeal to people who already know the game, or people who are into “retro-looking” and “pixel art” games.  And aren’t those people more likely to want to play the game looking as it was originally intended to look—big blocky pixels and all?

But anyway, yeah—the discussion is kind of silly.  The options are there for those who like it, and the original graphics are there for those who don’t.  I think it’s great to see classic graphic adventures of any kind coming to new platforms, so hey, more power to them.  Smile

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

My complaint comes from that there’s no real HD work done for the game. Upscaling the old pixel art doesn’t really make the game HD. It doesn’t add any new detail on the graphics and in some cases it can even smudge out the existing detail.

Now had they just called the filtered grpahics mode the way they really are I wouldn’t have said anything about it. It just irked me that they call it “HD”.

Joined 2013-08-24

PM

Since everyone has their own taste and preference, we’ve enabled the “original” game setting, so no one will be left behind.
I respect your opinions, and I hope that you enjoy the game using the original graphics, while getting benefit from all the other improvements.

Keep in mind that the majority of today’s mobile gamers prefer flashy, smoothed-out graphics, so that’s what we give them.
The game is targeted to retro lovers, and new mobile gamers alike - so the experience can be customized. In case it wasn’t mentioned, the settings allow you to use the original MIDI soundtrack, and also a mouse cursor, so you can technically get the PC\Amiga experience on Android.

I will be glad to hear actual feedback on the game, and discuss other features as well.

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Sir^Knigget - 24 August 2013 03:14 PM

On my phone my finger would be the size of the doorway. I can’t understand why people would want to play on mobile devices. Pressing the drawer or the book or the ink would be very frustrating.

Joined 2013-08-24

PM

Zifnab - 25 August 2013 08:54 AM
Sir^Knigget - 24 August 2013 03:14 PM

On my phone my finger would be the size of the doorway. I can’t understand why people would want to play on mobile devices. Pressing the drawer or the book or the ink would be very frustrating.

Zifnab, the game uses a hotspot system, so you will have no problem hitting objects in the game.
The need to “pixel-hunt” was eliminated - unless you choose to use the classic mouse control mode, in which case it will be just like on PC.

Total Posts: 619

Joined 2012-06-06

PM

Yeah, I don’t care for the filtered look on games, but you can play it in classic!  Win-win!

I can understand some people’s confusion over “HD”... people don’t often just take that to mean resolution - they take it as graphics remade in an HD size (as opposed to 320x200 pixels).  I don’t have a problem with it, and most casual purchasers won’t either. The filter, to me, is like putting ketchup all over a filet mignon, but that’s just my opinion.

Bt

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top