• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

walas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Simon the Sorcerer: 20th Anniversary Edition just released on Android!

Total Posts: 16

Joined 2013-08-24

PM

Hi everyone,
I wanted to inform you that we’ve just released an official, new edition of Simon the Sorcerer, exclusive for Android.

For those who don’t know or don’t remember, Simon is one of the classic point-and-click adventures - it was released in 1993 by AdventureSoft, and has gathered millions of fans since then.

Some of the new features:
- New HD graphics mode that upscales the game beautifully to high-resolutions
- Praised touch interface
- Enhanced stereo music
- Multiple languages
- New game menu
- The most affordable way to play this game!

Google play link:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mojotouch.simon

Or from your Android device:
market://details?id=com.mojotouch.simon

Watch the trailer:
Simon the Sorcerer: 20th Anniversary Edition - Official Android Trailer - YouTube

Joined 2013-08-24

PM

I apologize for the screenshot being cut by the forum. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

While it’s nice to see another old ag released on a new platform it also saddens me a bit to see that hd mode is a code word for poorly implemented scaler filter.

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

tomimt - 24 August 2013 03:51 PM

While it’s nice to see another old ag released on a new platform it also saddens me a bit to see that hd mode is a code word for poorly implemented scaler filter.

I was looking at it thinking it was a Scummvm filter.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Joined 2013-08-24

PM

Hi tomimt, would you please elaborate on what you mean by “poorly implemented scaler filter”? (for feedback purposes, of course)

Remember that this is a mobile game, not a PC game, and hardware capabilities are limited. Do you have a reference for a fine implementation, so we can know why this one is poor?

Thanks

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

By simply looking at that picture everything looks mushy and all the detail the pixel art had is lost. Either spend money to really redraw the background art and characters or consider using less destructive scaler.

Joined 2013-08-24

PM

tomimt - 24 August 2013 04:13 PM

By simply looking at that picture everything looks mushy and all the detail the pixel art had is lost. Either spend money to really redraw the background art and characters or consider using less destructive scaler.

Thanks for the feedback.

The game allows you to choose between 4 different graphic settings, including “original”, which displays the exact original game pixels.
Since different people have different opinions on this,and some people prefer the nostalgic look and feel, the settings are for you to choose.

Total Posts: 95

Joined 2010-11-01

PM

Gosh, I used to love this game when I was young but could never beat it. Still have the boxed copy of it in fact (wonder how much it’s worth now!). Chris Barrie (Red Dwarf, Brittas Empire) was Simon’s voice, was he not?

Never forgotten this tune, still hum it a lot:

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Sir^Knigget - 24 August 2013 03:58 PM

Remember that this is a mobile game, not a PC game, and hardware capabilities are limited. Do you have a reference for a fine implementation, so we can know why this one is poor?

Thanks

Have you seen the Monkey Island special editions? They are not fantastic, but give a good idea of what can be achieved. The charm and character of the pixel art is destroyed when you use a filter, I find. It’s not something you can call “HD” at all because the definition is the same.

Joined 2013-08-24

PM

Zifnab - 24 August 2013 04:40 PM
Sir^Knigget - 24 August 2013 03:58 PM

Thanks

Have you seen the Monkey Island special editions? They are not fantastic, but give a good idea of what can be achieved. The charm and character of the pixel art is destroyed when you use a filter, I find. It’s not something you can call “HD” at all because the definition is the same.

The Monkey Island special editions have remade graphics - they’ve actually redrawn the original game.

Simon the Sorcerer does not have remade graphics (and does not claim to).

I understand your concern regarding the term “HD”, but remember that you, me and some others are among the rare individuals who know what “scaler” or “filter” means.
The term “HD” is used to communicate that the game is adapted and improved for high resolutions, as opposed to the original game display.
I can assure you that performing a hands-on comparison between our “original” mode and the scaled mode on a mobile device will show the clear improvement.

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

If I’d be you I’d talk about enhancements not HD. Now it almost comes out like a scam.

Joined 2013-08-24

PM

tomimt - 24 August 2013 04:13 PM

Tomimt, can you please tell me what details are lost from the following:

Screenshot from “original” mode:

Screenshot from scaled mode:

Thanks

Joined 2013-08-24

PM

Lucien21 - 24 August 2013 03:53 PM

I was looking at it thinking it was a Scummvm filter.

We do not use a ScummVM filter.
This is a hardware-based shader, a functionality that does not exist in the ScummVM port.

Total Posts: 109

Joined 2005-07-29

PM

Everything kinda looks like wax which is getting meltedMaybe by that fireplace so…I guess you could say the detail of not looking like melted wax is gone Grin

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

I’ve never liked the look of Scummvm filters, which is similar to this. It just looks too “artificial”, too “edgy”. The biggest “casualty” when switching to filtered version is probably the little colors gradient leading to less “artistic” and more “flash-based” look. Just compare the fire on those two screenshots - you can sense the warmth on the first one, and the second one is just as someone put orange-yellow paper in there.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 473

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Sir^Knigget - 24 August 2013 04:18 PM

The game allows you to choose between 4 different graphic settings, including “original”, which displays the exact original game pixels.
Since different people have different opinions on this,and some people prefer the nostalgic look and feel, the settings are for you to choose.

With all the haggling….I thought this might need to be stated again so there is no confusion.

Thank you for this.  Need a few games on my tablet for the “road.”
Have anymore Adventures in the “pipeline?”

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top