• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissieNico2021

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Your favorite console adventure games

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

We seem to talk about PC games a lot, which is a shame because there are a lot of console games around and many look interesting. I’m as ignorant as anyone else on the topic but I’ve played a few I liked.

Try to describe the game and mention why you like it. A screenshot would also be useful.

I’ll start:

Shadowgate (NES)
I understand a kickstarter remake is coming soon, which is great. I just hope it’s not dumbed down because the 1989 original puts Sierra to shame with its countless deaths and dead ends. You really had to plan your moves because you had limited torches and if they burned out you died. Sound fun? It is, trust me, despite the frustrating moments.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Zifnab - 24 August 2013 08:44 AM

You really had to plan your moves because you had limited torches and if they burned out you died.

Why? Do you get eaten by a grue? Tongue

I reckon this thread won’t include handhelds (PSP/Vita/N(3)DS/iOS/etc.)?
If not, then I sadly won’t be able to participate - I’ve never played an adventure game on a console before, despite having owned several in the past… Meh
For adventure games it’s PC and (3)DS only for me…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 109

Joined 2005-07-29

PM

Never heard of this, I’ll probably check out the remake whennit get released.

Well there’s the obvious console adventures like the ace attorney series and ghost trick wich are some of my favorites, I feel like there are a lot more convole adventure I’ve played but I’m having a hard time remembering them Foot in mouth

I recently played a Horror adventure on the psx called D, it was…..kinda terrible, 1st person Cg fmv game that was kinda myst like, moving between screens was dreadfully slow and the voice acting was gash. only got through the first disc before calling it quits.

Total Posts: 164

Joined 2007-11-25

PM

Sadly there are only a few console exclusive adventure games released in the west…

Snatcher (Sega CD)
I’ve played about two-thirds of the game and quite like it so far. It’s a first-person adventure visual novel hybrid with some simple shooting sequences. The story is good, but also a bit cheesy, but it’s tasty cheese Smile Basically it’s Terminator meets Aliens in a cyberpunk world. The game is designed by Hideo Kojima (Metal Gear Solid).
http://www.mobygames.com/game/snatcher

Another Code: R (Wii)
The story is great and quite touching, but it could be told better - the pacing is slooow, and the story lacks thrilling moments, which is bad for a crime story. The gameplay is a mixed bag, and I found the game at least five hours too long for it’s own good (it’s about 25 hours), but overall I’ll recommend it if you like the concept, and I found the game a bit better than its precursor.
http://www.mobygames.com/game/another-code-r-a-journey-into-lost-memories

MySims Agents (Wii)
Definitely not a traditional adventure, but quite charming. Opposed to traditional adventure gameplay the game mostly consists of about 5-6 puzzle-like minigames that evolves as the game and story progresses. The game could have benefited from a few more minigames, though. The game is in full 3D, is in third-person and has direct control - and these aspects are well-integrated with most of the exploration and gameplay. The story is simple, family-friendly and surprisingly charming*. EA developed MySims Agents, but there’s a strong Nintendo vibe to the game.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MySims_Agents

EDIT: * I should note, that I haven’t completed the game yet, but I’ve played for at least 10 hours.

Total Posts: 28

Joined 2013-08-14

PM

I truly wish I could play Another Code: R. I loved Trace Memory. Unfortunately, the powers that be never saw fit to release it in the United States.

I decided to limit myself to six games here, each on a different console. Some of these games were/are also available on the PC but I wanted to highlight the ones I enjoyed most on consoles, not console exclusives.

Starflight on the Sega Genesis

The Starflight series (and her spiritual successor Star Control 2) remains my favorite space science fiction game of all time. Not strictly an adventure game or a simulation game or an exploration game but a combination of all three. I remember being awestruck that they could fit so many fully developed planets on a single floppy disk. The Sega Genesis version was even better with more refined controls and better graphics.

Dreamfall on the XBox

The Longest Journey rekindled my love of adventure games. I was ecstatic to find Dreamfall on a console, hoping it would usher in a new age of console based adventure games. Unfortunately, weak combat controls and a release at the tail end of the console’s lifespan sunk both the game and chances of a console based sequel. Still, guiding Zoe around multiple worlds remains a pleasurable memory for me.

Indigo Prophecy/Fahrenheit on the Playstation 2

Loved this game. The control scheme felt so fluid and the storyline was amazing, unraveling puzzle (even if it did fall apart at the end). The boxing scene between the two cops remains one of my favorite fights of all time because of how well the movements of the characters matches the motions of the controls. Heavy Rain, the follow-up, also deserves special mention, though it was rather middling as a mystery (especially since it pulled such an inane surprise in who the killer was).

Back to the Future the Game on the Playstation 3

This remains my favorite game/series from Telltale. I admit, this has more to do with the strength of the story and voice acting than the gameplay itself. While it was a fair but not amazing adventure game, the storytelling felt very much like a continuation of the movie franchise and the voice acting was so spot on that I didn’t realize that it wasn’t Michael J Fox until I read the closing credits.

The Cave on the Playstation 3

A platformer disguised as an adventure? An adventure disguised as a platformer? The Cave is on this list because of the strength of its story. The way you unveil how each of these remarkable, comedic, and all too flawed backstories without much in the way of words charmed me. The voice of the Cave, serving as narrator proved pitch perfect and wonderfully snarky.

Zero Escape: Virtue’s Last Reward on the Playstation Vita

I played Zero Escape: Virtue’s Last Reward on the Vita, which means I got crisp graphics on a larger screen but sacrificed some precise touch controls. Still, that didn’t stop me from exploring this intense puzzler full of strange characters. The themes explored here made for some truly powerful narrative in that overly philosophized, amazingly complex way that most often seems to come from Japanese made games (or games beginning in Bio and ending in Shock).

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Rule of Rose

Mature, artistic, complex , bold and out of the box, plagued by some light
fighting system, as bad as Dreamfall.

GlassRose ( My favorite Cing game, like it more than HotelDusk series)

And last but not the least, my all time favorite, ClockTower

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Karmillo - 24 August 2013 09:14 AM

I recently played a Horror adventure on the psx called D, it was…..kinda terrible, 1st person Cg fmv game that was kinda myst like, moving between screens was dreadfully slow and the voice acting was gash. only got through the first disc before calling it quits.

Back in the day, it was one of its kind horror, really imaginative
setting, unique puzzles and high quality CG when good CG was really difficult to
pull off , and this along with Residentevil marked the beginning of my 3D
childhood gaming era.

Those were some days.

Joined 2005-07-29

PM

nomadsoul - 24 August 2013 02:55 PM

Rule of Rose

I’ve really wanted to try Rule of Rose but it got a limited print and is selling for stupid prices now.

I tried GlassRose before when me and a friend were looking for a game to playthrough together, we didn’t realise it was gonna be so text heavy though so it didn’t really fit well with a group playthrough. Didn’t know it was by Cing, I really need to check it out myself sometime.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Karmillo - 24 August 2013 03:09 PM
nomadsoul - 24 August 2013 02:55 PM

Rule of Rose

I’ve really wanted to try Rule of Rose but it got a limited print and is selling for stupid prices now.

I tried GlassRose before when me and a friend were looking for a game to playthrough together, we didn’t realise it was gonna be so text heavy though so it didn’t really fit well with a group playthrough. Didn’t know it was by Cing, I really need to check it out myself sometime.

Yeah Rule of Rose got lot of heat due to its bold controversial themes, and publishers
then decided to discontinue the production. 

When you play GlassRose , just give it a chance till few murders start to occur, its about finding a killer in more than 15 suspects, lots of human drama and family politics.

I really liked the conversation gameplay mechanics, it was unique and never reused by
Cing.

Forgot to mention another current-gen puzzle/adventure game Called Catherine, i am sure some of you must have heard about it, got great response. Loved it.

Total Posts: 51

Joined 2011-07-11

PM

Policenauts (PSX)

Classic adventure. Not my big favorite, but definitely worth playing. And I am looking to try Sntacher more.

Wonder Project J2: Corlo no Mori no Josette (N64)

Social adventure (or simulation). One of the best games for me, charming and enjoyable experience.

UFO: A Day in the Life (PSX)

Another hidden gem. Its more a “puzzle” game then a actual adventure, but I must mention it. Well, UFO: A Day in the Life is only in Japanese, but it is playable for everyone with a little try.

Currently playing: Ever 17, The Space Bar

Total Posts: 51

Joined 2011-07-11

PM

I played “D” also a few months ago - one of the worst games out there. Although sequel D-2 for DreamCast looks quite promising.

Currently playing: Ever 17, The Space Bar

Joined 2005-07-29

PM

Drolin - 24 August 2013 03:36 PM

I played “D” also a few months ago - one of the worst games out there. Although sequel D-2 for DreamCast looks quite promising.

Yeah we’ve been looking to play that next, the weird on rails fps/rpg combat looks like it could be either very good or very bad

Joined 2005-07-29

PM

nomadsoul - 24 August 2013 03:06 PM

Back in the day, it was one of its kind horror, really imaginative
setting, unique puzzles and high quality CG when good CG was really difficult to
pull off , and this along with Residentevil marked the beginning of my 3D
childhood gaming era.

Those were some days.

Yeah I could see that the graphics were good for the time, they aged horribly though.
The story was kinda nonsensical too, like where did the police go and why was the dad suddenly some magical ghost/demon just cause he snapped and murdered some people (although maybe that was explained later)

Total Posts: 119

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Pretty much cherry picking with a few of these, but they haven’t been mentioned yet.  Links are to the AdventureGamers reviews. 

L.A Noire(PS3/360)
Journey(PS3)
Heavy Rain(PS3)
Silent Hill: Shattered Memories(Wii/PS2/PSP)

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Well, since handhelds appear to be included, my favourite Nintendo DS games are:

1. Phoenix Wright, Ace Attorney

It’s charming, full of twists and utterly hilarious!

2. 999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors

Good escape-the-room puzzles in a tense and well-written visual novel with a mindfuck of an ending…

3. Phoenix Wright, Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulations

The third Phoenix Wright game. Just as funny, just as charming and possibly even better written than the first game. Nothing new gameplay-wise, though.

4. Time Hollow

A very intriguing time travel story with lots of twists, and really high production values.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2005-07-29

PM

TimovieMan - 24 August 2013 07:01 PM

2. 999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors

Good escape-the-room puzzles in a tense and well-written visual novel with a mindfuck of an ending…

I’ve been wanting to check that out, mainly cause I’m interested in playing virtues last reward wich is apparently a direct sequel.

TimovieMan - 24 August 2013 07:01 PM

4. Time Hollow

A very intriguing time travel story with lots of twists, and really high production values.

I loved this game…although I kinda find it hard to actually call it a game since it was pretty much just walk about until it asks you to draw a circle, more novel than interactive.
It was one of my favorite stories which is why I had picked it but since I loved Konamis last Time travel adventure Shadow of Memories (Which was actually made by the same writer as this!) so I wasn’t disappointed, it even had a similar “Hindsight” secret ending that you could get on the second playthrough.

One of my favourite theme songs too

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top