• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

angelus_04walas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

J.U.L.I.A. Discussion

Total Posts: 33

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

What do you guys think of JULIA for those who have played it? It’s not what I thought it would be, it’s basically filled with lots of puzzles (many which I find annoying). The whole space adventure thing and exploring planets really intrigued me but I’m not sure if I want to go through frustrating puzzle after puzzle just to trudge through the game.

Currently playing: Starcraft II
Recently finished: Resonance, Tex Murphy: Pandora Directive, Diablo 3

Total Posts: 1782

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Best I can say is…..... it is ok but I hope that the duo who made it learn from their mistakes. Rather more exploration would have been good and, whilst I think that the puzzles were certainly contextual enough, a couple of them were ill thought out. Having a tool to allow one to understand an alien language is good. Having it time constrained was stupid and illogical. Much better to have made the translation more difficult but static as would happen in real life. And disposing of Xir! Sheesh. Talk about irritating. I know you can fail 3 times and the game will do the job for you but it shouldn’t have been so annoying. And the panic in Rachel’s voice was distracting and, in this case, out of context. I got so annoyed at this juncture that I stopped playing.

But, as said at the start, definite promise shown by the developers.

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

I played the Demo, but wasn’t blown away by it.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Thanks Jabod, I’ve just finished the first planet and already the puzzles are getting in the way. I enjoy the exploration sequences though, I like how you get to click on things you want to explore and stuff, reminds me of a “Choose your own adventure” book without being able to die.

Lucien21 - 07 June 2012 03:39 PM

I played the Demo, but wasn’t blown away by it.

Smart move, think I should have did that before I bought it.

Upon starting the game, it actually feels like an old school DOS game.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Jubilee - 07 June 2012 11:55 PM

Upon starting the game, it actually feels like an old school DOS game.

This is a good thing….right?

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Just an observation. Not really what I expected upon booting it up, expecting it to be a modern game.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Oscar - 08 June 2012 12:25 AM

, it actually feels like an old school DOS game.

This is a good thing….right?

Grin
sure it is Thumbs Up

Total Posts: 1782

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Thanks Jabod, I’ve just finished the first planet and already the puzzles are getting in the way. I enjoy the exploration sequences though, I like how you get to click on things you want to explore and stuff, reminds me of a “Choose your own adventure” book without being able to die.

It does improve after the first planet - previous points not withstanding. The rebuild of the memory blocks on the first planet to allow you to discover the rest of the planetary system was not very good and somewhat tedious but it was, at least, logical. I’d continue with it if I were you as, given what you’ve said, there will be quite a bit that you will enjoy. I’ll be going back to it in a few days but I have a PC to fix for a friend first (looks like I’ll neeed to wipe and rebuild Frown ) plus I’m replaying The Pandora Directive (Project Fedora is funded! Yahoo! Now for the stretch goals). A friend who has completed J.U.L.I.A. gives it 3/5 which is about what I reckon. And he tells me from the Xir battle I have about an hour to go to complete.

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 70

Joined 2012-04-11

PM

I hated it but gave it a fair chance, got a couple hours in then met a game breaking bug and couldn’t be bothered replaying the past hour or so.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

I finally finished the game, a fair few things hindered my enjoyment of it. It’s not a long game by any means, I think the annoying puzzles actually dragged it out a little.

I reviewed it here if anyone is interested, gives a different perspective to the AG review.

Total Posts: 187

Joined 2005-01-25

PM

So, apparently the publisher never paid the developers anything for this. Excuses ring hollow.

http://indiestatik.com/2013/01/25/never-paid-us-a-single-cent-lace-mamba-global-breach-publishing-deal-with-cbe-software/

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/pressreleases/185561/Lace_Mamba_Global_Statement.php

Lace Mamba strikes back.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

I have no doubt that CBE’s version is the more truthful one.

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 187

Joined 2005-01-25

PM

Lucien21 - 30 January 2013 03:17 AM

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/pressreleases/185561/Lace_Mamba_Global_Statement.php

Lace Mamba strikes back.

Vague references to “inaccuracies” and a general “no comment”? Is that’s the best they can do?

Total Posts: 1341

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

Sadly, this is far from the first time this has happened from even well-known adventure game publishers. I’d say it won’t be the last, but there are almost no adventure game publishers left, so maybe it will be.

I think it’s pretty clear that Lace Mamba is broke. They haven’t released an adventure game in ages, nor announced anything new. Failing to pay royalties is a pretty standard move for a company who’s scrambling just to stay alive. It’s like the corporate equivalent of people running up credit card bills and dodging creditors until they’re not only broke but up to their eyeballs in debt.

I don’t say this to excuse LMG; it’s disgraceful if true (and I don’t really doubt it is). Just saying this is probably an even sadder case of a once-very-prominent publisher going down and taking developers with them. That’s always been the pattern before, and those publishers no longer exist.

Not really sure why the posturing from LMG in response. Probably just a vain attempt to stop a flood of others following suit. That might buy them a few more months of delaying the inevitable.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Jackal - 31 January 2013 01:21 PM

Sadly, this is far from the first time this has happened from even well-known adventure game publishers. I’d say it won’t be the last, but there are almost no adventure game publishers left, so maybe it will be.

I agree, but on the other hand that led us to proportionally larger increase in companies which act as a self-publisher - Telltale, Daedalic, Phoenix Online… Also, “French school” seems to be on the rise again - Anuman/Microïds utilized more than active Facebook page. As for the “remnants” of The Adventure Company, Nordic Games serves as a support “placeholder” and publishes KING Art’s games.

Jackal - 31 January 2013 01:21 PM

I think it’s pretty clear that Lace Mamba is broke. They haven’t released an adventure game in ages

Only Lucius three months ago, as they seem to shifted more to other genres in 2012. They do however seem to collaborate with an Iranian developers of Murder in Tehran’s Alleys 1933, and the developer of Lifeless Planet confirmed one month ago flying to London to sign a publishing deal.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top