• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diego

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Your favourite graphic style?

Total Posts: 134

Joined 2012-06-04

PM

Do you prefer playing adventures with a particular look to them? I believe I do. I’ve listed some categories of graphic style I can think of. My category names are not necessarily correct but it’s how I perceive them. Anyway my absolute favourite style of graphics, that when I see preview or review screenshots makes me go “yeah, gotta play that!” are definitely in the last category, ie, face noir, secret files, gray matter, etc. I don’t know how that style is described. I just remembered, there are also quirky styles like the Drawn painted tower series.

CARTOONY

PAINTED LOOK

PHOTO REALISTIC?

GRAY MATTER/BLACK MIRROR TYPE GRAPHICS

First registered in 2005. Original creator of: Place that Quote! - Adventure Game Sounds - Decipher the Anagram! - Name that Inventory! - A Face to Place!

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Out of those I would probably go for photorealistic. I like cartoony when it’s a style I like (eg DOTT or Monkey Island) but I don’t like HD or overly precise cartoon graphics.

I would include another category: STYLISTIC/CONCEPTUAL

You might also include the 3D style, like Monkey Island 4 and Broken Sword 3.
A few adventure games use the Isometric style (Sanitarium, To the Moon).

Joined 2012-06-04

PM

Good calls, Oscar. I’ll play anything tbh, whatever the style. But I’m generally not visually drawn to play games if the graphics look too quirky, comical,  childish or simplistic. So in those cases, I might play them on people’s recommendations on the forum. I much prefer serious, accurate, fine detailed graphics with good lighting effects (think black mirror castle at night). I guess my taste crosses over between photo realistic and my last category.

First registered in 2005. Original creator of: Place that Quote! - Adventure Game Sounds - Decipher the Anagram! - Name that Inventory! - A Face to Place!

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

While I love cartoony, the images that presented in this catwgory here are perhaps exactly the type I hate most. I’ll definately go for high quality cartoony/painted (The Whispered World, Night of the Rabbit, etc) and stylistic/conceptual (like Machinarium, The Cat Lady, etc).

Joined 2012-06-04

PM

Sefir - 08 August 2013 08:22 AM

While I love cartoony, the images that presented in this catwgory here are perhaps exactly the type I hate most. I’ll definately go for high quality cartoony/painted (The Whispered World, Night of the Rabbit, etc) and stylistic/conceptual (like Machinarium, The Cat Lady, etc).

Interesting, Sefir. Just shows how everyones taste is so different. Smile

Here’s a brand new game I’ve literally just seen. LOVE these clean graphics. By them alone I’m itching to play this.

http://www.adventuregamers.com/games/view_screenshots/16240

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Roman5 - 08 August 2013 08:37 AM

Here’s a brand new game I’ve literally just seen. LOVE these clean graphics. By them alone I’m itching to play this.
http://www.adventuregamers.com/games/view_screenshots/16240

While Prominence is a game I’ll definately play, I admit that I find these clean graphics a little cold and unnatural. But sometimes, that’s the whole point, creating a cold and slightly unnatural environment that makes you feel uneasy just be looking at it. If that’s the case (it MUST be, considering the story) these graphics serve their purpose well.

Wasn’t this thread about only 3rd person graphic styles? Tongue
Because there may be some more, worthy to be mentioned, styles in 1st person ones.

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

I’m not seeing much difference between the photorealistic category and the Black Mirror/Gray Matter type graphics. Keepsake isn’t really photo quality. The only game I’d call truly photorealistic would be Gabriel Knight 2.

As for my favorite style, painted looks nice. The backgrounds in Gray Matter are stunning. I also like the look of a few 3D games, like Gabriel Knight 3 and Escape from Monkey Island. Don’t ask me why. I know, the characters look horrible but the backgrounds are nice.

And also, what would Curse of Monkey Island be? The characters are cartoons, but the backgrounds are not.

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Zifnab - 08 August 2013 08:48 AM

And also, what would Curse of Monkey Island be? The characters are cartoons, but the backgrounds are not.

Another example of what I meant when talked about cartoon/painted category. Many games use different techniques and mixed characteristics from more than one category.

Joined 2012-06-04

PM

You’re right Sefir, I hadn’t noticed it’s a 1st person game. We can expand this to those as well. All the SH games since the Awakened are right up my street graphically as are all the Kheops games (Voyage, RTMI, Echo secret caverns, Nostradamus etc).

Zifnab, yes you’re right, I shouldn’t have called them photo realistic. But just different from the black mirror category.

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

If I had to pick one I guess I’d go for Gray Matter but honestly different styles work well in different games and as it was mentioned, sometimes styles are even mixed.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Depends greatly from the story and what kind of a mood the developers are trying to achieve.

Joined 2012-06-04

PM

Very true.

To add something else to the thread, does anyone think there has been one specific point and click adventure game made, 3rd or 1st person, where most people might agree has the best, most beautiful, most breathtaking graphics ever, regardless of style?

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Roman5 - 08 August 2013 09:51 AM

To add something else to the thread, does anyone think there has been one specific point and click adventure game made, 3rd or 1st person, where most people might agree has the best, most beautiful, most breathtaking graphics ever, regardless of style?

Well you see, the problem is that everyone is so influenced by their own experiences of the game. Everything else - the music, the story, puzzles - affects how much you appreciate the visuals. I can agree Schizm looked stunning but I didn’t enjoy the game very much I so wouldn’t call it breathtaking.

I had the opposite experience in Myst III. I remember spending 3 or 4 minutes on each screen in Edanna, astonished by the beauty and detail and slowly taking it all in. I haven’t replayed it since then because I don’t think the second time would live up to my first. The Longest Journey’s visuals affected me in a similar way, I think because I really engaged with the story emotionally. Another is Journeyman Project III, I found it really beautiful when I played it. I love isolated places like El Dorado and the Himalayas.

Total Posts: 182

Joined 2012-01-08

PM

Very true.

While there are certainly people out there who might think that, I’d consider them fools.
Even a Top Twenty, which could cater to different tastes, would cause a huge fight and a lot of disagreement.

To answer the intial question: I don’t prefer a certain style. If the style fits the story and mood of the game and is well crafted I’m happy.

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Very true.

I’d go with Manhunter. Exquisite detail and brilliant choice of color palette.

Yes, I’m joking. I agree with Shnibble that you can’t have a consensus on beauty.

Total Posts: 182

Joined 2012-01-08

PM

Well said, Zofnob.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top