• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

rtrooney

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Do you ever use hints? Is it EVER ok or better to think it through?

Total Posts: 8

Joined 2013-08-06

PM

Very interested to see responses

I used to use hints alot but ive matured and want to try and finish Ghost Pirates of Vooju Island WITHOUT hints

reckon its possible?

Chumley Nerd

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

You might want to read this recent thread on the same subject.

But to answer your question: Everybody uses hints or walkthroughs from time to time, the only difference is how often, and how long we are prepare to be stuck before we give up and uses hint/walkthroughs.

If I remember Ghost Pirates of Vooju Island correctly, then there are 1 or 2 puzzles that are very difficult, but you should be able to solve most without help.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

I usually do my best to avoid walkthroughs, though I often end up using it atleast once or twice during a playthrough. I find that when you’ve first resorted to it, you’ll consult it quicker a second time, and even quicker a third, and so on. This snowball-effect have ruined many a game for me in the past. However, If I find a game to be rather mediocre, but still don’t feel like abandoning it, I feel no shame in looking up a walkthrough rather frequently. Broken Age (which is the nr.1 game on my personal hype-o-meter), is a game I would never dream of spoiling with a walkthrough (unless it turns out to be shite, but I doubt it will Wink ).

Completing an AG (that isn’t too easy) entirely without using hints gives a very satisfying sense of accomlishment. Resorting to a walkthough can often feel like being defeated, and nothing is more frustrating than looking up a solution that you in hindsight feel you should have been able to figure out on your own, and nothing is better than finally figuring out a puzzle that has had you stumped for days. Just make sure to sit back and think when you’re stuck, rather than engaging in the trial and error routine. Solving a puzzle through trial and error doesn’t give any sense of accomplishment anyway. Asking for hints in this forum may be a better option, or you could check the web if the game in question has a UHS file, which is much less spoiling than an ordinary walkthrough. Or like you asked about in another thread, play more than one game simultaniously, and switch game when you get hopelessly stuck. When you get back to it at a later point, you’ll often see things in a different light, and come up with new ideas.

To answer your question: offcourse it’s okay to use hints, in some cases, you may even ruin the experience by NOT looking up hints, but as a general rule of thumb, you should avoid them like the plague Wink

Iznogood - 06 August 2013 11:09 PM

If I remember Ghost Pirates of Vooju Island correctly, then there are 1 or 2 puzzles that are very difficult, but you should be able to solve most without help.

The great thing about Ghost Pirates is that you have three characters you can switch between whenever you want, and you can complete each characters part in whatever order you choose, so here there’s no need to switch game to get fresh ideas, you can simply switch character Smile But as Izno said, there are a couple tricky puzzles that may require some hints.

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 40

Joined 2009-04-25

PM

I answered in more depth about when I personally use hints on the other thread, but to answer this question specifically…

Yes, I think it’s okay to use hints. Games are entertainment, not an alternate form of employment. There is no wrong way to play if you’re having a good time.

The point at which it’s okay to use a hint is the point where using that hint will contribute more to you having fun in the game than pushing through on your own will contribute to your fun. Exactly when and how you reach that point will be different for every player and every game you play.

Total Posts: 120

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

There have been a few times in Tex games where you have to hide in a specific location in order to continue the game, I wasn’t a fan of those bits. Plus they were terrifying.

I’m on a whole new adventure.
Growing a mustache?
No. Bigger than that.
A beard?!?

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

To answer your questions: yes, I use hints, of course it’s ok to do so, but it’s also better to think things through.

As for more details on my use of hints (or walkthroughs), see my response in that other recent thread. Smile

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top