• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

how to make adventure games

Total Posts: 41

Joined 2013-07-23

PM

hi,

I want to make adventure games,i am intersted in making investigative and detective type games,my specs are:
Win 7
intel core 2 duo 2.20 ghz,
intel 4500m graphics card,
2 gb ram

Can anyone suggested complete tutorial and game engine that runs on my laptop and i can make games ,i want to make games from 2001-2007 era graphics because my graphics card cant handle games after that.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Adventure game-making software that doesn’t require you to know too much about programming:

Adventure Game Studio or AGS - Primarily or old-school pixelated games, most Wadjet Eye games (Gemini Rue, the Blackwell games, Resonance) were made with this, and it has a pretty large community.

Wintermute Engine - For 2D or 2.5D adventure games, Art of Murder: FBI Confidential, The Lost Crown and Alpha Polaris were made with this.

Visionaire Studio - For 2D or 2.5D adventure games, Daedalic Entertainment (Edna & Harvey, A New Beginning, Deponia, The Whispered World) use this.

AGS is probably easiest, but if Chris Bischoff (Pyke from the forums, and the maker of the upcoming Stasis) his excellent blog is to be believed: Visionaire might be the best tool of the lot.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

I wouldn’t categorize Wintermute as all that easy to work with (at least I found it cumbersome myself). Both AGS and Visionaire are pretty straight forward, though.

Total Posts: 179

Joined 2004-01-25

PM

I don’t understand AGS anymore. I used to be able to make an entire game, by selecting options in menus etc, and make a whole game with basically no coding. Yet when I tried it recently, it seemed this ability was gone and even basic things like changing room, picking up object could only be done with coding?

Joined 2013-07-23

PM

thanks for help,anyother game engine which is free and takes much less programming or no programming.

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

There’s AGE (Adventure Game Engine), which should be extremely user friendly. But it’s somewhat of a new engine and I don’t follow its development or know if it’s actually updated properly.

Find it here: http://age.seccia.com/

Joined 2013-07-23

PM

is visionaire freeware version is enough for me or i should go for full licence version

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

Just stick with the free version until your product is ready for release. Nothing is constricted in the free version other than the ability to actually compile and release your game.

Joined 2013-07-23

PM

so i cant release my game without license version or there is any other way to put game online

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

That is correct. Unless you buy a license for Visionaire you cannot release your game. But the license for the “Limited Distribution” is very, very cheap. 35 euros for freeware or limited commercial release.

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

Wait—you can’t COMPILE the game??  Wouldn’t that mean you can’t test it at all?  How can you do any real development work if you can’t test as you go?  Did I read that wrong?

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

You can’t compile it into a separate .exe, no. You can test the game - and send it forth and back just fine - as the development file itself.

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

Kasper F. Nielsen - 13 August 2013 04:51 PM

You can’t compile it into a separate .exe, no. You can test the game - and send it forth and back just fine - as the development file itself.

Ah, ok.  That makes a lot more sense.  Heh.  I was like, “Wait—that’s a pretty big limitation!”  Smile

Joined 2013-07-23

PM

ok so i have to stick to wintermute,can i get complete programming tutorial for wintermute so that i should not have to search google every time because my programming is weak

Total Posts: 26

Joined 2013-04-15

PM

I would for trying something small and getting your confidence and skills up. There’s some neat retro style games out there (5 Days a Stranger, which was done in game maker I believe http://www.fullyramblomatic.com/5days/ )that uses minimal graphics and animations. It’s very easy to get frustrated when starting out, and there’s soooo much stuff to learn in the gamer industry right now. Back in the day, 1 programmer made Pitfall in a few weeks. Now you could easily have 100 artists alone on a AAA title.

Then try new things as you go.

Click here to support the best independent developer mentioned in this signature footer:
http://www.shadesofsanity.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sword-Spirit-Software-LLC/346697060329

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

RobSeres - 16 August 2013 03:57 PM

(5 Days a Stranger, which was done in game maker I believe http://www.fullyramblomatic.com/5days/ )

Just FYI it’s made in AGS Smile

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top