• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Some suggestions please (for recent games)

Total Posts: 11

Joined 2006-05-01

PM

I don’t game much anymore…fortunately my career has taken off but that has left me with little time to spend on games and I also lack the enthusiasm and patience with poor games that I probably once had. My days of toiling away for 8 hours a day on WoW and Counterstrike are long since past.  I’m looking to buy two adventure games to play and the qualities im looking for are:

1. Storyline driven (not so much worried about the controls etc)
2. Non mechanical-puzzle orientated… ie: i dont like ones with mechanical puzzles like clocks and gears and stuff like that.  I like the type of puzzles you might find in Monkey Island or Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.
3. Long. Something long.. like Grim Fandango was.

So i mentioned a few games in those notes above, they’re the type i like.  If there’s anything out like those plz let me know.  Don’t worry about mentioning telltale, because I already buy all their games.  I’m looking for something non-episodic, something that i can spend a long time playing my way through.  And i want two, so i can play them simultaneously, so when i get stuck on a puzzle and get bored i can spend some time on the other one.

Thanks for the help guys!

GoT

Total Posts: 415

Joined 2007-12-29

PM

My favorite recent games were Book of Unwritten Tales and Lost Horizon. Great games!

Joined 2006-05-01

PM

thanks heaps, do they kind of meet the things i like?  I’ll look at previews for them both so i can work it out myself…

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

If you might have missed them, two classics that I think would fit the bill is the original two Broken Sword games.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I agree with the recommendation of Lost Horizon - it’s very much like Indiana Jones and has some great locations to visit.

If you haven’t yet played these, The Longest Journey and it’s sequel Dreamfall are highly recommended as well (although they’re not recent, 1999 and 2006 I believe).

Furthermore, the Nintendo DS has some of the best adventure games of recent years. The Phoenix Wright games are hilarious and extremely long, for instance.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Book of Unwritten Tales and Lost Horizon are good recs, though I remember finishing Lost Horizon over a weekend, so it’s not long.

You might like Gray Matter. Strong story, good graphics, non-mechanical puzzles and good length.

There’s also Botanicula or Machinarium, depending on whether you prefer plants or machines. They are quite unusual however, and you should read up on them first.

If you like horror, the Black Mirror series is popular and seems to fit your criteria. Also Sherlock Holmes: The Awakened is very good.

Daedelic has made some great games recently. Edna & Harvey: The Breakout and Deponia are both very nice comedy games, or The Whispered World for something more serious.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Get Gray Matter and Haunted - I think you’ll be a very happy camper.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

Zifnab - 02 August 2013 07:11 PM

There’s also Botanicula or Machinarium

I wouldn’t really recommend either of these, at least not if you’re searching for something which is storyline driven. While both are great games, both the gameplay and sorts of story doesn’t seem to fit the criteria.

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Why? I thought they drove the story in a unique, charming way. Maybe what you mean is that the storytelling is visual, and words or text aren’t used. If that’s what GoT wants, then he should avoid the games. I still think they fit the qualities, except maybe length.

If we’re doing non-recommendations, I strongly recommend against Haunted. Truly awful game.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

The Whispered World, The Book of Unwritten Tales, Ceville and Ankh.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

TimovieMan - 02 August 2013 06:57 PM

If you haven’t yet played these, The Longest Journey and it’s sequel Dreamfall are highly recommended as well (although they’re not recent, 1999 and 2006 I believe).

I agree if you haven’t played those, then it is exactly what you are looking for.

But also most of the games from Daedalic Entertainment especially: The Whispered World and The Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav, and if you like humorous games: the Edna & Harvey games and the Deponia series.

But I can also second games like: Book of Unwritten Tales, Ceville, Gray Matter and the Black Mirror series.

Many of them does have some mechanical-puzzles, but it is not the main kind of puzzles, and I believe it would be hard to find games that is completely without mechanical-puzzles.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 179

Joined 2004-01-25

PM

If you have a DS, or can get your hands on a cheap DS Lite, I would strongly recommend Hotel Dusk and it’s sequel The Last Window. They’re long, and have some of the best stories in any adventure games.

Also, any of the Wadjet Eye games; though they aren’t particularly long. But they have great stories, and have great classic adventure game feel to them - Gemini Rue, Resonance, Primordia, or the Blackwell Games.

Joined 2006-05-01

PM

wow! thanks for the replies, you’ve given me some games to research! I see a couple there repeated several times over so i’ll start by checking out their websites to see what the stories are about. 

Question: Is it worth getting DS just for the adventure games? because that was mentioned at least a couple of times. I haven’t research DS at all so i don’t even know if they’re expensive. But I’d sure love to be able to sit on the couch and play it on the TV.

EDIT: i just reaslize the DS is that tiny hand held thing… probably not what im after…. i thought it was a proper console i would like an adventure game on the massive TV haha!

Joined 2006-05-01

PM

After a little bit of research and watching some trailers and what not I definitely decided to get The Book of Unwritten Tales… looks awesome! Fantasy adventure too!

Lost Horizon, Gray Matter both look good and so do a lot of those others but I think Unwritten Tales looks like an obvious place to start my adventure gaming! Something to keep me busy until the next season of Walking Dead (which is more of an interactive story than a game, but meh!).  Thanks guys for your tips, i think i’ll be able to download it on steam when next on my home PC Smile appreaciate all the help!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top