• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

BeckyCharophyceanchrissie

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

How long are your gaming sessions?

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

I was just reading in another thread that TimMovieman said he played a 6-hour burst of Obsidian. Wow. To me, that’s insane! Not the amount of spare time (which I could probably arrange for myself if I wanted to) but the ability to engage with a game for that long. Games are like movies to me, and I don’t think I could watch more than one movie a day, or maybe two short ones.

So I thought to ask, how long are your sessions? Am I a weirdo by only being mentally equipped to be able to play 1 or 2 hours a day, maybe a slightly more extended session if I haven’t played for a while? When do you start to lose interest?

Disclaimer: No offense or ill will is intended toward Timmovieman by this thread. He knows we all love him and this is more to ride home the fact that he’s a superhuman adventuregamer with a sexy tie, whose only shortcoming is a slight overfondness for DS games.

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

Personally I don’t usually have time for mega 6 hour sessions now as stupid real life keeps getting in the way. However, when I do manage to set aside a couple of hours in an evening or on a weekend I usually find that I don’t play a game for longer than 2 hours at a time before I want to take a break from it anyway.

For instance, earlier this week I had to travel quite a fair distance for work which entailed 5 hours each way on trains. I had my laptop with me and, as it was the perfect time to get some gaming in, fired up The Raven to get stuck in. However, I didn’t spend more than 2 hours there and then maybe another 2 hours on the way back on The Raven as I needed a break from it.

Maybe I am just out of practice on longer gaming sessions, or am a weirdo like you! Wink

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Total Posts: 164

Joined 2007-11-25

PM

I don’t play that much, but when I play I usually prefer 1.5-2 hour sessions opposed to very short or very long sessions. A few times a year I have a couple of those semi-long sessions in one day or one long 3-4 hour session.

Total Posts: 134

Joined 2012-06-04

PM

I don’t game a lot but have been playing a few games back to back recently. I have time off at the moment to be lazy and I played lots of Lost Chronicles of Zerzura yesterday. Resumed a save game at 11.03am and created my last save game at 5.40am this morning. Taking into account a couple of phone calls, making food, and one or two other things, that’s about 17 hours played almost non stop, from my laptop, in bed.  Laughing

First registered in 2005. Original creator of: Place that Quote! - Adventure Game Sounds - Decipher the Anagram! - Name that Inventory! - A Face to Place!

Total Posts: 278

Joined 2012-12-22

PM

My gaming sessions aren’t that long anymore (1-2 hours) but back in the days I could probably sit 10-12 hours with a game for one session.

Story rich DRM-free games for Windows, Mac and linux for direct download - https://fireflowergames.com/. Half the profit goes to projects that benefit the environment and game related projects.

Total Posts: 813

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

I usually play two one-hour sessions on the weekdays. In my heyday I could easily burn an entire day (8 hours or so) on a play session.

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

I usually play in short bursts of max 1 hour at a time. But if a game is super awesome I can have several of these sessions a day. The last game that I did that with was The Last of Us, which I usually played for about 40 minutes at a time three times a day.

Until I was like 13 or 14 I could easily play games for 6 - 8 hours in a row, but somehow I lost that ability to concentrate on the games for that long at a time growing up.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

When I can, I usually get 1-2 hours day of playtime. Some games make me go over that time, usually meaning headaches and sleepy face the next day (Bioshock Infinite, Last of Us, playing DS adventures in bed).
Sometimes there still exists a perfect storm that “life” allows me more free time and a some addicting game arrives (I thing I spent a whole weekend playing Skyrim…) but these are getting rarer.

Total Posts: 61

Joined 2005-11-23

PM

My sessions are about three hours in length on average. I like them straight and without interruptions, once every week day. I never play games on the weekends because those are reserved to my girlfriend and perfecting my barbecue skills. And getting drunk.

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I had one “catch up” session during the AVS Community Playthrough that lasted about two hours. That’s about the upper limit for me these days.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I don’t really follow the time. But before last Christmas I played 13 hours of Heavy Rain pretty much with one sitting. Some eating and visiting the toilet in between. When I was playing WoW more hardcore I could easily play a week so that I just slept and ate in between.

These days marathons are rare but 6 hours, yeah, I still do that from time to time. When I have a free evening or night. I don’t usually even bother starting a game if I don’t have clearly over an hour to play.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Whoa - I can’t imagine playing an adventure game in sessions as short as 1-2 hours, I mean just reading your notes from where you left and getting into the right gaming mood, can easily take half of that time. Also in at least some games (like Keepsake), there are complicated puzzles that can easily take you an hour or more to solve. How do you manage to cut a puzzle in half, and just continue it another day?

When I play I usually play in 4-6 hours session, and if I haven’t got at least 3 hours I can spend, then I will rather do something else, and postpone the AG until I have more time. But this is nothing compare to ye old days, when I was younger I would often play in 10-16 hours session, and my record is a 32 hour long session playing Civilization, starting Friday evening and not stopping before early Sunday morning.

This also raises an interesting question, how does our playing habits influence our game preferences?
I mean there are some games that are better enjoyed in longer session, and can’t that easily be split into smaller sessions without loosing something, whereas other games are better suited for small sessions, and might even be more enjoyable if consumed in small bits instead of in one large chunk.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

My gaming sessions tend to be one hour long, two at most. And then I’ll need a break and will probably switch to something else for a while (another game, something on Netflix, etc.). I find that I like playing a few games in parallel from different genres (say an adventure, an RPG and maybe something more casual on my iPad) and alternate between them rather than play the same thing for 4 or 6 hours straight.

(As always, there are exceptions. When Skyrim came out, I took some time off and played the game all day long for a week. But that was an exceptional behaviour for a very exceptional game.)

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

I need breaks , after 3 hours, because i realize that gaming is addiction
and can be unhealthy. Maximum i played DragonAge2 for 13hrs a day, with breaks after 3 hours.

It also depends how taxing the game is , like Demon/dark souls i can only
play for 1 to 2 hours.

Total Posts: 5569

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I like to play for long stretches with relatively few interruptions because I find it really helps with the immersion.  That doesn’t mean I’m totally glued to my chair for an entire afternoon or evening, but it does mean that my focus is on the game for that amount of time. 

When I was working, Friday nights were for game playing because I could play as long as I liked (5-6 hours) without having to worry about getting up at 6:00 AM the next morning.  Nowadays, I tend to spend more time at the computer doing other things, so my game time is closer to 3 hours 3-4 times a week.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 363

Joined 2012-09-20

PM

I already had played continuosly for more than 12 hours! If, as “game session”, you don’t count the interrupts for “human nature calls”, then I can easyly play for 6-8 hours.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top