• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Keybordz

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

DEVICE 6, from the makers of Year Walk

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

A surreal thriller in which the written word is your map, as well as your narrator.

DEVICE 6 plays with the conventions of games and literature, entwines story with geography and blends puzzle and novella, to draw players into an intriguing mystery of technology and neuroscience.

Anna wakes up in a castle on a remote island, with little recollection of how she got there. All she remembers is an unusually unpleasant doll…

Why are there two identical castles on the island? Who is the mysterious man in the bowler hat? And above all, what is the purpose of the tests Anna is put through?

DEVICE 6 launches on iOS in late 2013.

[More info + weird trailer]

Year Walk was possibly the most memorable new adventure I’ve played this year, so I’m definitely excited about this.

Total Posts: 523

Joined 2010-02-08

PM

Woah. Intriguing.

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Some more info: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-08-15-device-6-adventure-texts

After reading this, I feel even more confused about the game. And more excited too.

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Aaaaand it’s out.

I’ve played it a bit — I’ve just finished chapter 2 (out of ...?) — and it’s a very unique game that is very hard to put down. The story is intriguing (and unsettling), the presentation, which mixes text and some little interactive black-and-white elements, is great and the puzzles have been fun (so far, they’ve mostly been about fiddling with stuff and paying attention to clues; actually, it feels a bit like a text-based Myst game).

I might post more impressions as I get further into the game, but for the moment I’m having a blast with it and I highly recommend it.

A few caveats:

* While there are a few pictures/animations/sounds, the game is mostly text-based. If don’t want to be reading, it’s not for you.
* The game makes you constantly turn your device every which way, so it might feel nicer on an iPhone (or maybe an iPad mini?) than on a full-sized iPad, which feels a bit cumbersome.
* Note that several essential clues are spoken, without subtitles, which might be a problem for some (language barrier, playing without sound…).
* Like Year Walk, you really have to take notes to play the game, which I feel sort of defeats the purpose of playing on a portable device. So don’t expect to be playing this on the train to work.

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Triple post! (Does no one play iOS games around here???)

I’m done with it, and it was definitely a clever and special game. The way it blends text and exploration is really unique and innovative (and never in a pretentious/douchey way #sworcery). But it did feel a bit short to me. I guess it’s better to want more than be fed up with the game halfway through, but it did feel a bit unsatisfying. Once you figure out that it’s a essentially a Myst clone and that you’re supposed to write down everything that looks like a clue and then piece things together, you can breeze through the puzzles pretty quickly. And even story-wise, there could have been more; the story has a beginning, a middle and an end, a few twists and a point of sorts, but it feels like it could have been developed more and had more space to breathe.

Obviously, for $4 you shouldn’t really be allowed to complain about a game’s length, and at that price everybody should definitely experience it. But I certainly wish it had been a bit meatier.

Total Posts: 245

Joined 2006-05-20

PM

I just finished Lost Echo, which was pretty good, except for the confusing ending. I might try this one next.

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2009-07-10

PM

How many hours long is the game? 1-2?

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

2 or 3 I guess? That’d be about 20-30 minutes per chapter, which seems about right. I played it over a few short sessions, so it’s hard to say.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top