• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Sssshh….Phantasmagoria 2!

Total Posts: 144

Joined 2010-11-08

PM

Hi people!It’s been a while since I last posted in the forums here,how is everyone?

The other day I downloaded Phantasmagoria 2 from gog.com or steam,I don’t remember where I got it actually,but….boy I love this game!

First of all let me tell you that when the game came out in the 90s one of my best friends who had a computer(I didn’t get a PC until after I finished school in 2001)bought it and coincedentally I had a magazine that had the walkthrough in an issue so…I used to go to his place and we were playing the game together….back then in the 90s it was a big deal for a game to even show a woman in a bra…let alone Phantasmagoria 2’s scenes! Tongue

So anyway,apart from the nostalgia…I love this game.I know it received bad reviews when it came out,I know that it’s considered a failure…although probably not as much as the first game in the series,but I love the music,the whole soundtrack is very good!And I like the acting,it gets an oscar if you compare it with some movies that are intended for cinema or straight for video out there…and I like the characters and the setting.

And most of all I love the atmosphere!I think the game is pretty atmospheric.

Ehh…the only thing I complain about is that the transition to modern PCs kind of got to the graphic.If I play the game in full screen there are these….“shutter-like” lines during the FMVs.If I play it in windowed mode the graphics are much better and there are no shutter lines during the scenes.Dunno if that’s the case with everybody or my PC.

So um….yeah I wish there was a darn third game in the series.Kind of miss the old FMV games.Should I try to buy and download the first Phantasmagoria too or should I go for something the 7th Guest or ...?

Combine Water with Condom to get Water balloon

Total Posts: 48

Joined 2012-11-12

PM

Cool I totally get the nostalgia thing with these FMV games. Haven’t thought about Phantasmagoria 2 in ages but I smile thinking about that “edgy” rock song in the end credits.

“I understand that evil thoughts are part of human nature/the monsters in my head have supplanted my creator”

Hey as a teenager I thought it was dark! Ah the 90s

As for other games like it, have you played Gabriel Knight 2? That’s pretty much the daddy of FMV horror games and is also pretty legitimately great. Like Phantasmagoria 2 it also has a bit of homo-eroticism too. Obviously a thing for Sierra games at the time

Phantasmagoria is also recommended, it’s not as good or dark as Ph2 but I liked it. It’s still fun, with lots of cheesy scares and over the top violence. For me Ph2 is Clive Barker/Seven rip-off, Ph1 is more Roger Corman/Stephen King TV Movie

I wouldn’t recommend 7th Guest on the same nostalgia kick though. It’s much more early 90s. There’s so little plot because the CD process was so new. You just wander around a house solving puzzles (chess, pipes etc) and are rewarded with short, very pixely and very cheesy clips of the guests being killed that sort of make a story when put together but don’t really. It’s much better as a puzzler than an adventure game. Actually the Sequel 11th Hour is a lot better for story and atmosphere. Watch a few clips of both on youtube and see if you agree

Also recommended FMV horror of this era: Realms of the Haunting and Zork Nemesis

Joined 2010-11-08

PM

Hmmm to be honest I haven’t finished Gabriel Knight 1 yet.I’m still at the beginning…always getting angry at that voodoo fat lady voice protesting in anything I do…“GE-BRIEL CAAAANNNOOOT NNNNDOOO DAAAT…...”

Wish they would make a decent FMV adventure now!Modern stuff old style!Just like all those retro-style games keep appearing.

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Phantasmagoria 1 is better than 2, by far. So is the 7th Guest. Get them both, right now.

Foinikas - 30 July 2013 07:17 PM

Wish they would make a decent FMV adventure now!Modern stuff old style!Just like all those retro-style games keep appearing.

Apparently you missed Anacapri: The Dream and Yoomurjak’s Ring, which are both indeed better than all those retro-style games which keep appearing.

Total Posts: 415

Joined 2007-12-29

PM

foinikas, you can turn off her voice in the settings. that is the first thing that I do when I play GK1.  I can’t stand her voice.  definitely change the settings and turn off her voice so that you can enjoy the game. this is too great of a game for her annoying voice to get in your way!

Total Posts: 188

Joined 2004-03-18

PM

mbday630 - 30 July 2013 07:52 PM

foinikas, you can turn off her voice in the settings. that is the first thing that I do when I play GK1.  I can’t stand her voice.  definitely change the settings and turn off her voice so that you can enjoy the game. this is too great of a game for her annoying voice to get in your way!

That would be a bad idea; her performance is the best part of the game.

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

I’m not listening! NO ONE IS HATING ON MAMA NARRATOR! NO NO NO! THE BANANA BOAT IS CALLING! NO NO!

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Phantasmagoria 2 is an odd game. And a poorly designed game. And rarely has a game had a main character as unlikeable as P2 has.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Monolith - 31 July 2013 01:17 AM

I’m not listening! NO ONE IS HATING ON MAMA NARRATOR! NO NO NO! THE BANANA BOAT IS CALLING! NO NO!

LOOOL Grin Grin

Total Posts: 415

Joined 2007-12-29

PM

I know some people did enjoy her voice, but, I didn’t like it. I talk fast and she taaallllkkkkkeeeeed sooooooo sloooooowww. it drove me crazy. At least it is an option, so if you don’t like it, one can turn it off, but, if one likes her voice and her slow talking, keep it on.

Joined 2010-11-08

PM

tomimt - 31 July 2013 02:41 AM

Phantasmagoria 2 is an odd game. And a poorly designed game. And rarely has a game had a main character as unlikeable as P2 has.

That’s your opinion,you’re entitled to it and it sucks! Grin

Joined 2010-11-08

PM

mbday630 - 30 July 2013 07:52 PM

Thanx man,I didn’t really know you can do this,that definetely makes me wanna play the game now,I just couldn’t stand that voice Confused

And now you guys got me thinking about Gabriel Knight 2…

Total Posts: 1782

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Have you not been following Project Fedora (now properly named as Tesla Effect)? Teaser Trailer here: http://www.texmurphy.com/

And Zifnab is wrong! P2 is much better than P1. Tomimt is sort of right about Curtis but there are reasons for his personalty which become clearer throughout the game (one has to give these games as much understanding and leeway as possible folks Smile ).

GK2 is good in a qualified fashion.

7th Guest vastly over-rated.

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Jabod - 31 July 2013 07:34 AM

7th Guest vastly over-rated.

Only if you don’t like to use your brain Nerd

Total Posts: 363

Joined 2012-09-20

PM

If you want FMV games, Foinikas, you can’t miss the 3 Tex Murphy games (Under a Killing Moon, Pandora Directive and Overseer) - they are the best of the best. And most recently Yoomurjak’s Ring, Conspiracies (1 and 2). And I liked both Phantasmagoria, each has its unique charisma.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Tex Murphy: Tesla Effect is a the closest we’ll get to a modern and excellent FMV game. Although it’s not horror.

Edit: What Jabod said

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top