• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Site → Site & Forum Feedback → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Should there be some message when reporting a post?

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

The fact that you can’t force people to have an interesting discussion about something just because you care, is just human nature. Sure, you can have obnoxious, power-mad mods barging in every 5 minutes to make sure that people don’t discuss anything else, but that’s not going to magically make the thread more interesting. It’s just going to highlight how little people want to discuss the subject – and create a horrible atmosphere.

I’ve been a member of some boards where mods slap people down constantly for going off-topic (or so they think). Or boards where mods will merge your thread into some older thread that nobody’s posted in in 3 years because there should only be one thread on any given topic. I didn’t stay a part of these communities long. But I like it here.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Antrax - 24 July 2013 01:17 PM

On this particular board. There’s nothing inherent to Adventure Games that says things have to be this way, and many (most) other boards out there don’t follow what you’ve just outlined.

Sure they do. All the forums I’ve been active in have. Others either died or were boring.
And for the record, that’s my opinion and impression as a forumer, not as a mod… Wink

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 813

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

Kurufinwe, I understand where you’re coming from. I’m not here to tell you guys what’s best for the existing regular posters, because “natural selection” of sorts already ensured the current state is most agreeable to the current set of posters.
If you choose to look at what I’ve suggested (community size) as an alternative success criterion, then consider two of the most successful forums in the world: the SomethingAwful forums and the Cracked (was: PWOT) forums. Both are extremely moderated, to the point your hyperbole is pretty close to an accurate description of what goes on.
(To be fair, on the other hand you have 4chan which blows both out of the water - and where there’s almost zero moderation)

TimovieMan, I guess this is one of those “agree to disagree” points where my experience as forum member and admin is very different from yours (and Kurufinwe’s, it appears). Typically you have one area for “ramblings” and in other places you expect people not to go off on tangents. How you enforce this varies, so authoritarianism isn’t necessarily the best approach, but from my experience expecting people to stay on topic and reminding them when they stray is not a bad thing.

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Antrax - 24 July 2013 12:32 PM

Chrissie, the issue with embedding large images is twofold: They tend to distort the page layout when someone views them in a device with small resolution, and they force people to download them, which might be an issue for people with slow connections or people with bandwidth limitation (very common in the smartphone era).

Thanks for explaining Antrax, as I exclusively use a desk top with a fast speed to access the internet I wasn’t aware that it was problematic in other cases! I would incidentally look at a posters post count before suspecting SPAM as it’s more likely to come from someone who has 1 or 2 posts rather than over 900+! 

However, most communities are interested in acquiring new members, and people are going to be turned off if they come in here and you derail their topic into yet another discussion about which games are awesome that you’ve had so many times before. I know this because this happened to me, and it sent me back to lurking for about a year - I asked an innocent question and got three pages of completely irrelevant posts and some flames to boot.

Yep! - this thread has got to be the best example of a thread being totally derailed but has lead to some interesting discussion. I apologise about the ‘flames’ & realise that your issue was with the post & not the postee. TimovieMan, there was never any intention on my part to suggest a personal vendetta & perhaps my use of the word vindictive was a little strong! 

While I agree Antrax that topics de-railed into a re-hash of discussions had so many times before can be a turn-off it’s obviously not for those continuing to participate & possibly happens because the original topic has run it’s course or not inspiring enough! I certainly prefer that to heavy policing on the moderators part which would turn me off a lot more!

Using a function intended to report posts one finds problematic, however, seems like something that any member should feel free to do - when done properly (i.e. when admins don’t openly call you out on it), it’s pretty much win-win, resolution is reached involving the minimal amount of people necessary and there’s never bad blood.

I agree - if only you’d PMed one of the staff with your query instead of starting a thread! I know it was not your intention for your grievance to become public but I still don’t understand why you chose to report that particular post which was connected to the thread rather than some of the completely off-topic posts in say the Broken Age thread you mentioned earlier?

Total Posts: 813

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

It’s not the first post I reported Smile Because my reports were always ignored, it occurred to me ask whether or not anyone’s even receiving them.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Site → Site & Forum Feedback → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top