• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The Color Gray - New Mobile Adventure Game

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2013-07-05

PM

Hello everyone!

We are a small team of indie game developers and we would like to introduce “The Color Gray,” a new adventure game for mobile platforms.

A few years ago my sister and I sat down and discussed what we enjoyed the most about adventure games. We loved the well crafted stories, the beautiful artwork, and the casual pacing.

We then started talking about what we enjoyed the least. One thing quickly stood out, even though it was an adventure game staple: the puzzles. We felt that the puzzles would actually break the immersion. Frustration would set in, or even worse, we’d get stuck and stop playing.  Could we remove these puzzles and still create an interesting experience? We thought we’d try.

The Color Gray is just that. An adventure game that follows a twisting story of deceit and manipulation with no traditional puzzles. Instead, we’ve introduced morally gray choices that must be made along the way. These decisions greatly affect the story and the characters you meet. The goal is to create an experience that felt like you were always progressing while at the same time giving you increased control of the results.

We are planning on releasing it for the iOS and Android in August. Any feedback or opinions are greatly appreciated!

You can find our trailer and more on our website: http://www.thecolorgraygame.com

Or follow us on Twitter: @colorgraygame

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

By your description the game sounds more like an interactive novel. Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

Joined 2013-07-05

PM

Nothing wrong with that comparison. It’s definitely not an experience that includes big walls of text though. Very audio/visual focused.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Oooh, I love visual novels! Thumbs Up
And there’s far too little of them out there that aren’t bishôjo / eroge / hentai, so double Thumbs Up Thumbs Up!
I hope you guys realize that you’re basically making a niche game within a niche genre. I’m not entirely sure how popular these are outside of Japan.

It might also be best to emphasize that it’s more a “visual novel” than a true adventure game, instead of using the more ‘negative’ term “no puzzles”. Positivity helps in promoting your game - it’s always better to say what it IS instead of what it ISN’T… Wink

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

TimovieMan - 07 July 2013 06:59 AM

And there’s far too little of them out there that aren’t bishôjo / eroge / hentai

You can never get too many eroge games Cool

Joined 2013-07-05

PM

Great advice Timovieman about not advertising that we don’t have something.

My only concern with ‘visual novel’ is how non-interactive it sounds.

We like all the positive images in our heads when we hear ‘adventure game’ instead of something like ‘interactive fiction or choose your own adventure novel’.

In ‘The Color Gray’ you walk around freely, you talk to people in any order, and you make choices in certain events. We felt that adventure game without puzzles gave people an easier picture of what our game is. It’s very similar to where the Walking Dead is going, although they still have a few light puzzles. Heavy Rain is another example. They both have a little more ‘gameplay’ than we do, but I think we’re closer to those than we are to a novel.

Thanks for the post though, it got me thinking.

Total Posts: 30

Joined 2013-03-30

PM

Seems really attractive to me.  Laughing
(Love the theme music on your trailer !)

I totally agree with TimovieMan, you definitly should re-write the “no puzzle”.  Wink

Good luck !

Total Posts: 112

Joined 2003-10-18

PM

I must say I agree that the way you’re promoting the game is a bit strange. Generally speaking, people who like adventure games like puzzles and people who prefer more interactive novel type of games don’t really like adventures games. So essentially you may end up alienating both parties with the tag line “adventure with no puzzles”.
I could very well be completely wrong about that though.

Anyway, your game seems interesting, I hope it proves really successful.

Total Posts: 132

Joined 2007-02-10

PM

I like adventure games and the idea of no puzzles, so it doesn’t put me off Grin Though I remember Girl With A Heart Of was similar story-based and ended up having little fanfare so I hope this doesn’t suffer the same fate.

Total Posts: 131

Joined 2006-10-02

PM

sounds interesting, different takes on the genre should be encouraged

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top