• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Your Top 5 (Modern Underrated!)  Adventures

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

1.Art of Murder: Cards of Destiny
2.Next Life.
3.Alternativa
4.The Dream Machine
5.The Abbey

6. this list can go forever but 5 are enough i guess.

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

This is something that depends entirely on our interpretation of “underrated” and “modern”.

I’ll go by these:
Modern: <10 years old
Underrated: Whenever the game is mentioned around here, this is the result:

1. Yoomurjak’s Ring (2009): Very solid and unpretentious mystery romp through a beautiful Hungarian town. Great scenery, excellent FMV acting and a surprisingly well conceived story.
2. RHEM (2003-2010)(if I had to pick one it would be 3): Quite simply, a feast for anyone who loves puzzles.
3. Miasmata (2012): It got a good review here but no one really played it. This game has a real spirit of exploration and sense of adventure to it, with interesting puzzles based on collecting plants and researching them. “Unique” is one way to describe it.
4. The Experiment (Experience 112) (2008): “Girl wakes up in a strange place with amnesia” has been done to death but this one has a unique twist that changes the boring “point & click” style to something more interesting.
5. Baron Wittard: Nemesis of Ragnarok (2011): You could say this one is just another “Boakesian” ghost story and that may be true, however it is very solid and underrated and I enjoyed it a lot.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

these are more like unnoticed than underrated for me ,if i understand the terms (both) correctly , then underrated game should have gotten more praise than it did , which means it did somehow but not enough or even close.  but those and as the Pic you posted look more like deserted/Unrated than underrated . but somehow i see you point big time as those might be even better and worth noticing more than mine.

and about that modern you got it all right as i thought modern is a phrase(imo) interpretation for the opposite of classics so whether choices we made we still are on the right track.

cheers

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Advie - 17 June 2013 09:31 PM

these are more like unnoticed than underrated for me ,

Yes, well I think that is because we only talk about games we like. Timmovieman and Jackal don’t like us insulting games. Can you find me a low rated modern game on the forum? I don’t remember anyone speaking badly about Alternativa or The Abbey.

All my games got reviewed, and all under 3.5 stars except Miasmata. That doesn’t say “unnoticed” to me. Also you have to think that when people read a review they judge a game. If they choose not to buy it, they are rating it (poorly).

In fact it would be much easier to do a “modern overrated” thread, because there is a lot more discussion about what we like.

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I agree with Cards of Destiny and Next Life, I enjoyed both easily over 4 stars of worth Wink. The Experiment and Yoormujak’s Ring are ones that I’ve been planning to buy for a long time but haven’t caught a good enough sale.

Alternativa I didn’t find that good, only mediocre. It had potential but would need a lot of tweaking to be a really good aventure in my book. The others I haven’t played yet.

Can’t squeeze a personal list atm.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 1341

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

Zifnab - 17 June 2013 10:06 PM

Timmovieman and Jackal don’t like us insulting games.

What the…? This is so utterly untrue, I can’t even imagine what led you to make it up. People shouldn’t troll threads about their least favourite games, and “insults” shouldn’t be made personal towards developers, but anything other than that is and always has been fair game. I’ve never said anything more than that, and I doubt TimovieMan has either.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

1. Anacapri: The Dream
2. Anacapri: The Dream
3. Anacap…

you know the rest.

But seriously, what a game - emotionally powerful, picturesque, brilliant concept, great fun to play. And yet I’ve never seen anything but hatred for it. Heck I don’t think I’ve even seen a positive review. Definitely in the running for the most underrated AG ever.

I can’t think of any other modern AG that comes close to being that underrated.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Damn! , I do not ever wanna sound like i align the authority here, hell, and god forbid , my life for years now makes me more like that V for Vendetta Movie, i hate authorities , but to be also fair @Zifnab take a look a this thread AG Rating’s DEBATE and watch how Jackal and other Admins had absorbed a lot of attack against them and the AG-Site.

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

I’m kind of curious about Anacapri: The Dream. I’m a bit scared by the voice acting as reported (I’m really picky about voice acting), but I’m wondering if it’s better in Italian. I see they have Italian with english subtitles (plus I’d love to brush up my italian)..

Anyway, will probably get it when I’m back in Europe. Thanks for the recommendation!

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’m not sure what you mean by underrated Advie as the games in your list are not those I consider ignored.

The only game I can think of that I thought was seriously underrated as a game was 15 Days . Understandable though as the cougar (whatever) engine on it didn’t behave on most systems without causing errors/glitches/bugs but I found it to be such an intriguing story, with enough to do!, that slowly unravelled the lives & motives of the main characters!

I thought Yoomurjak’s Ring was brilliant if very challenging.

I remember Paradise getting a slating (not necessarily from here!) but was another game that I really liked that caused a lot of problems on some systems! I also loved the (optional) leopard scenes as they presented another ‘viewpoint’ & the story set against the background of a country with a very oppressive regime came across in context.

I really liked all of the Art of Murder games especially the 2nd & 3rd which I thought were very competent & enjoyable games to play!

Another game that I thought was more underrated than it should have been was
Gray Matter - I found it to be an interesting & intricate tale & I liked the idea of the magic tricks although I think they could have been better conceived!

If underrated refers to review scores - I don’t really care about those if I bother to read a review 1st, just the premise of the story, details about the gameplay & any expected glitches etc. It’s all a matter of taste & a highly rated game as an Oscar winning film is not necessarily the one that’s going to entertain you the most however ‘perfect’ it is!     

Total Posts: 1079

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Advie - 17 June 2013 06:29 PM

2.Next Life.
3.Alternativa
4.The Dream Machine
5.The Abbey

Advie you confess you underrated these games,based on what,i’ve played all of them and they’re pretty mediocre at their best.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

chrissie - 18 June 2013 12:48 PM

I’m not sure what you mean by underrated Advie as the games in your list are not those I consider ignored.

thanks for bringing this Q up , so i can i explain, what i meant by underrated games 1st of all it has nothing with their rating stars here at AG-Site and have nothing to their success either commercially or by gaming magazine positive reviews even not those   ignored or unnoticed at the Forums, WHAT i considered and meant are those gems/games we happen to discover their greatness way later after their release dates, you said gray matter and i agree it is an underrated game with all the praising it had but still not even close! , high hopes and great exceptions kills anything/anygame the moment you start playing and comparing it with the earlier projects of the same dev.
people will discover how great it was after Moebius is released.
i didn’t mention Edna and Harvey (as great example) (you know why?) because putting it as an underrated game at that list would be a sort of humiliation to one of the greatest classics in the modern adventure gaming scene there is a thread i made about Classic Adventuring elements/features that are almost diminishing (Survey) with 22-23 elements that are diminishing from AGs but they were all there at Edna and Harvey :the breakout shouting out loud that classic adventuring still exists as it was 20 years ago . and i couldn’t bring it into this discussion or at my list as it is much more great than all of those mentioned, maybe that ‘Sorry Edna’ Thread is what this game at least deserve if any wanted to mention how underrated it is ,also to let Adventurers to discover this by themselves someday .

Dream Machine also some people didn’t even heard of it but when the episodes are all done i am sure it will be something to talk about for a long while same goes fo ASA:A Space Adventure ,maybe also Ghost Pirates Of Vooju Island was neglected because compared to AVS, and the strangest thing that its better than AVS , there many others even from the past remember Grim Fandango reception at the its time when released and now look at it now, its the best (some consider) adventure ever .

I hope i made myself clear and answered your Q chrissie ma Friend

Gabe - 18 June 2013 12:53 PM

2.Next Life.
3.Alternativa
4.The Dream Machine
5.The Abbey

Advie you confess you underrated these games,based on what,i’ve played all of them and they’re pretty mediocre at their best.

Based on they deserve better reception, not every New adventure must be another Syberia

Total Posts: 80

Joined 2013-02-01

PM

I played Alternativa and the beginning was very promising, but somewhere around the middle it became utterly boring and I never finished it. Same goes for The Abbey, in fact I didn’t even make it to the middle (maybe it was only because I read The Name of the Rose and didn’t feel like going through the same story again). Same goes for Baron Wittard although I managed to finish that one.

I haven’t played the others mentioned, except for The Yoomurjak’s Ring, which I agree is very underrated, it is on my Top 5 underrated games definitely, and another one is Edna & Harvey: The Breakout, which should be praised on all four corners of the Earth and it is not.

Can’t think of others right now. Need to sleep.

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Advie - 18 June 2013 01:22 PM

Ghost Pirates Of Vooju Island was neglected because compared to AVS, and the strangest thing that its better than AVS , there many others even from the past remember Grim Fandango reception at the its time when released and now look at it, its the best (some consider) adventure ever .

I hope i made myself clear and answered your Q chrissie ma Friend

Thank you, you did Advie! I’ve had Ghost Pirates for a long time which I’ve never got around to playing & your perception is interesting -  I have to confess that I played Grim Fandango, enjoyed it & understand, as it’s a brilliant game, why it’s so highly rated but (please don’t lynch me anyone!) I like lots of other game more!

Gabe - 18 June 2013 12:53 PM

2.Next Life.
3.Alternativa
4.The Dream Machine
5.The Abbey

Gabe, my thought is that as it’s a matter of taste you can enjoy ‘mediocre’ but there’s such an enormous amount of work that goes into even just ‘mediocre’!

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Jackal - 18 June 2013 10:17 AM
Zifnab - 17 June 2013 10:06 PM

Timmovieman and Jackal don’t like us insulting games.

What the…? This is so utterly untrue, I can’t even imagine what led you to make it up. People shouldn’t troll threads about their least favourite games, and “insults” shouldn’t be made personal towards developers, but anything other than that is and always has been fair game. I’ve never said anything more than that, and I doubt TimovieMan has either.

Advie - 18 June 2013 12:03 PM

Damn! , I do not ever wanna sound like i align the authority here, hell, and god forbid , my life for years now makes me more like that V for Vendetta Movie, i hate authorities , but to be also fair @Zifnab take a look a this thread AG Rating’s DEBATE and watch how Jackal and other Admins had absorbed a lot of attack against them and the AG-Site.

And watch how I got told not to bash DS games. I’m not going to trawl through old threads but I remember lots of times people being told to be nice to games or not say anything at all, or not to be negative, or something like that. If you post a thread solely for the purpose of praising a game to the heavens then it’s fine, but a thread that a game sucks somehow isn’t “constructive”.

chrissie - 18 June 2013 12:48 PM

The only game I can think of that I thought was seriously underrated as a game was 15 Days . Understandable though as the cougar (whatever) engine on it didn’t behave on most systems without causing errors/glitches/bugs but I found it to be such an intriguing story, with enough to do!, that slowly unravelled the lives & motives of the main characters!

I agree about 15 Days, it got so much criticism and I didn’t understand it. Maybe the gameplay part was weak but it was a good game, at least on par with, or better than, other games being released at the time. I enjoyed it more than House of Tale’s other games, Overclocked and Moment of Silence. Maybe people were expecting something closer to those games.

Total Posts: 182

Joined 2012-01-08

PM

Zifnab - 18 June 2013 09:47 PM

And watch how I got told not to bash DS games. I’m not going to trawl through old threads but I remember lots of times people being told to be nice to games or not say anything at all, or not to be negative, or something like that. If you post a thread solely for the purpose of praising a game to the heavens then it’s fine, but a thread that a game sucks somehow isn’t “constructive”.

Well, while you are free to criticize, your way of criticizing is open to critique as well and people might have different opinions. If you dish it out, you have to be able to take it, especially when your claims seem unsubstantial. 
I didn’t get at all that Timovieman was reprimanding you in his role as an adminstrator. He was opposing you as a fan of DS games. 

Zifnab - 18 June 2013 09:47 PM

Maybe people were expecting something closer to those games.

I guess so and the game part was really reduced to a minimum.
Perhaps it even would have been received a bit better if it wasn’t a HOT game.
Anyway, I didn’t really like it and overall it felt a bit rushed to me.

Underrated:  I haven’t played that many games recently and none of them obscure or exceeding my expectations, so I have nothing to offer that would really fit into this thread.

Ghost Trick is quickly dismissed by many adventure game purists, though and it’s easily the most polished and enjoyable gaming experience I had recently.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top