• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Gabriel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

How long do you wait before you replay?

Poll: How long do you wait before you replay?
Total Votes: 41
Less than 1 year
2-3 years
>5 years

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

I am not a big replayer of games I buy. It’s usually at least a few years before I get around to getting an old game out again and reinstalling, even if I really liked it. About half of the games I own I have never replayed.

My Longest Journey box is still sitting in a dark abandoned corner of the house covered in cobwebs, yearning to be opened for the first time in over 10 years. And I loved Longest Journey!

It’s not that I don’t intend to replay, or that I don’t have the time for it. I don’t know what it is. I always tell myself I will get around to replaying this or that game someday but it never happens Sealed Lips

So how about you?  Grin

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Voted >5 years but in some rare cases I have replayed a game in less than that. Not within the same year though, never. I intentionally wait a good while before replay so I don’t remember all the details but there are tons of games I’ve been meaning to replay for a few years now, so it’s also and issue of time and just getting to do it.

Then again if we talk about non-adventures, then of course I replay games like ThemeHospital and Civilization almost every year.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 415

Joined 2007-12-29

PM

I usually replay a game that I really enjoyed right away.  I need to see if there was any dialogue that I missed and enjoy the puzzles again. I am a strange one, I am sure. And if I really like the game, I can play it over sometimes 20 or 30 times.

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

I’ve gone for 2-3 years but in reality it’s variable. I do replay games I like quite a lot and I would probably wait about a year or so to replay for those, where as games I liked less, but still liked, might be 2-3 years or more.

The exception is games with Directors Commentaries, i.e. Resonance, which I played again with the commentary straight after the first playthrough.

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I picked 2-3 years, but it’s highly variable. It’s difficult to quantify because some games I know I’ll never replay, and others get a replay after a decade, some after five years, some after just a few years, and some almost immediately…

I replay games *less* than I did back in the ‘90s, but the reason is simple: my list of games to play is seemingly infinite now, while back then my catalogue only got expanded two-three times a year, so I replayed the most awesome games again and again. That’s also why you won’t get a screenshot/quote/soundclip past me from either Fate of Atlantis, The Dig or Full Throttle. Tongue

Nowadays, I’ll just replay (3)DS-games when I’m done with my current catalogue and nothing new pops up. But given my love for Phoenix Wright, those will always be the usual suspects for replaying (along with maybe the Zero Escape games and Time Hollow).
I replayed the first Phoenix Wright game a few months ago, and that was about 4 years after my first playthrough.

I’ll often replay games that are part of a series when there’s a sequel coming out (to refresh my memory). I replayed 999 after only a year-and-a-half because of Virtue’s Last Reward’s release.

As for PC games, my backlog is so huge that I’ll probably only replay games when there’s a sequel coming out or if I played them over a decade ago and they made my list of games to play now because they’re part of a series that I’d like to continue/finish.
Or if a certain mood strikes me, like my urge to replay everything LucasArts two years ago. Tongue
And I still haven’t deleted To the Moon off my hard drive yet, just in case there’s a slow afternoon where I’ll feel like crying for a good long while…

If I replay an adventure game almost immediately, then that usually means there’s something extra in the game (like a director’s commentary or an alternative path or an alternative ending - stuff I had missed (or was unable to see) on the first playthrough, basically).

Of course, non-adventures get an occasional revisit too, especially “never-ending” games like sports games (Tennis Elbow at the forefront) or strategy games (like the Civilization series)...

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 5594

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

My replays vary tremendously, but I guess the average is 2-3 years.  I’ve often replayed a game immediately, especially if it’s one I think my sister would enjoy.  Because of her cognitive impairment, she doesn’t read well and can’t solve logic-type puzzles, so I sit beside her to give her hints and help her through the difficult stuff.  We played The Dig, the first two Dracula games, and a few others that way.  (Nowadays, I just set her loose with casual games from Big Fish, which she can do with just a few prompts on the easiest setting.  Hidden object games are her favorites.) 

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

TimovieMan - 13 June 2013 12:10 PM

As for PC games, my backlog is so huge that I’ll probably only replay games when there’s a sequel coming out or if I played them over a decade ago and they made my list of games to play now because they’re part of a series that I’d like to continue/finish.
Or if a certain mood strikes me, like my urge to replay everything LucasArts two years ago. Tongue
And I still haven’t deleted To the Moon off my hard drive yet, just in case there’s a slow afternoon where I’ll feel like crying for a good long while…

I recognise myself from this. I have so much to play that the games that I actually manage to replay are usually parts of series. A while ago I had the urge to replay the GK trilogy through, before the whole Kickstarter, it just came out of nowhere. And I still haven’t uninstalled some of the good titles, though I am quite sure I will not have time to replay them for a few years really.

If Dreamfall Chapters doesn’t get delayed I will be replaying TLJ and Dreamfall fairly soon from the previous play just to refresh my memory. Also I have “replayed” some games that I didn’t manage to finish for some reason. If it’s been a while I rather start from beginning to get immersed better.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I couldn’t say how long the gap is but I’ve replayed a few games but try to resist as I’m still trying to catch up with a lot of games I haven’t played yet!

Total Posts: 33

Joined 2007-02-25

PM

That’s not something I really think about much. When I want to replay an old favorite, I just play it. I’m currently going through a replay of Sam and Max seasons 1-3. I haven’t played them in a while so I forgot a lot of the details, and for season 3 at least, it would be my first time replaying it. So, I would say somewhere between 2-5 years for replaying a favorite game. I can imagine myself doing less replaying in the future though because tons of adventure games have been coming out in recent years.

Currently Playing: Chicory: A Colorful Tale

Total Posts: 783

Joined 2010-10-26

PM

A full replay, also in about 2-3 or maybe even more years, it depends on the game
The only exceptions are first 2 BS game, which I play almost every year in full and also in partial Crazy
And I still can’t get enough of them! Grin Crazy

A few I replay (partial) very often (like BS, MI, TLJ) usually my favorites, and those I ALWAYS keep installed in my PC. Partial replay, or I look maybe at some scenes I like and so on… Smile

I am baaaaaaaack!

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

15 years , i am no kidding, replaying games was something that never thought of before 2004-2005!

but if the Q is about shortest time that would make replying enjoyable, i think 3-5 are enough to anyone to forget about many thing of any adventure, Dialogues , Story Details, even Puzzles .

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Advie - 13 June 2013 02:47 PM

15 years , i am no kidding, replaying games was something that never thought of before 2004-2005!

It is similar for me.
Up until quite recently the idea of replaying a game had simply never occurred to me Smile

I am still not a big fan of replaying games, there is simply too many new games that i would rather give a try instead. Also i’m cursed with a good memory, selective but overall good, even if i think i have forgotten everything about a game, then as soon as i start playing it, then it all comes back to me, or at least all the major parts of the story, which detracts too much from the experience imo.

To this date there is still only 3½ games that i have replayed, The Longest Journey, Grim Fandango and Discworld Noir, which coincidentally also happens to me my 3 favorite games. (The 1/2 is the current community playthrough of AVS) I do have some old games like KQ6&7, GK1 and (perhaps, even though it is a bit too recent) IHNMAIMS that i plan to replay somewhere in the near future, and i will most likely also replay Dreamfall just before Chapters is released.

So i selected >5 in the poll, but would have selected >10 or >15 if those options existed.

Oh - I also never replay a game to see alternative endings, not unless i can just undo the last half hour or so, otherwise i just lookup the other endings on Youtube. When i played The Cave i also only played it once with the 3 characters i started with, going through the same areas a second time, even if it is only some of the areas, simply didn’t appeal to me.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

millenia - 13 June 2013 01:20 PM

Also I have “replayed” some games that I didn’t manage to finish for some reason. If it’s been a while I rather start from beginning to get immersed better.

Yeah, that too. Grin

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 619

Joined 2012-06-06

PM

It depends on how much I liked the game - cause I know I always missed SOMETHING!

Honestly, I like game replay - it’s why I’ve designed Quest For Infamy to be replayed with each class, and you’ll get a different gaming experience with each one.  Definite fun for those who like to explore - have alternate scenarios and puzzles…, etc.

Bt

Total Posts: 363

Joined 2012-09-20

PM

I usually replay in 2-3 years. But that depends of the game, if I like it more or less than others. Recently, I replayed Zork Nemesis after more than 15 years (not because I don’t like it but because I “forgot” that I still have it!). On the other hand, I replayed The Longest Journey and Syberia at least twice in the last 3 years.

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

It varies a lot. There have been adventure games where I replayed them immediately after finishing them, like Myst III: Exile, The Longest Journey, and Obsidian. There have also been games that I replay every year or two, like Shivers. But most games I haven’t replayed. Part of that is due to not having as much time to play, and part of it is from having more games that I haven’t played yet. So I’m not really sure how to answer the poll.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top