• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Let’s Play Keepsake

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Does the game look even prettier on that?

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Well, I’m not playing on a really big monitor to start with, so I just wanted to test few (especially those “from upper parts”) scenes. However, like in most cases, it’s more blurry on TV so I think I’ll be playing the normal way (but at least I’ve finally made TV-output to work, which will do for some regular movies Wink)

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 363

Joined 2012-09-20

PM

Diego, from the images, it looks that your TV is a CRT, not LCD or LED. So, I can assure you that the game (or any other recently games) looks amazing in a 40 inches LCD Full HD.

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Yeap, that’s CRT in my room, and what’s more - I’m using S-Video to composite to connect it which is more of a quality loss. It’s ok for movies, but not so for games. I can imagine it would look wonderful and more crisp in HD and using the DVI video card output.

Anyway, I’m still stuck at the Minotaur Maze Shifty Eyed Grin but I’m stubborn not to ask for hints as yet Tongue

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Done with the little goblin! It’s time to celebrate! Grin

Iznogood - 05 August 2013 01:27 PM

In fact I don’t understand why it should be so popular among the students?
Once you have solved it the first time it doesn’t have much replay value, not even if the starting conditions are random.

Well, what if one student is a goblin, and the other is a minotaur? And perhaps if there’re some rules to place the obstacles before each round (like, goblin and minotaur place one stick at a time) which could add to the replay value. Tongue

Anyway, I’ve used only the first level hint. I needed some time to solve it, and I’ve had some theory of mine about the minotaur (“catches” goblin rather horizontally) and sticked to it. I’ve read all 3 level hints afterwards, and even now I’m sure how the game works. Like I was confused while solving about sudden possibility to move more times. But who cares

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Part 4: “The Tree, and some more trees”

I’ve got myself some seeds! It’s a tree planting time!

Lydia is surprised that Zak can read, after all. Anyway, let’s find a proper planting site. Garden sounds perfect.

You’re not getting away without another one of those bird’s-eye views!

But before anything else - a puzzle! This got me stumped for some time, actually. I knew the three symbols:

had to do something with it, but couldn’t realize they have EVERYTHING to do with it, meaning the desired symbol you’re trying to complete is one of the three symbols. And the hint wasn’t overly helpful, too.

I don’t know if my reasoning was right, but in trying to determine which of the 3 symbols is the right one, I noticed the “mountain” is the only one without a fancy animation of it Tongue, and tried that one first

And so, the tree grows!

And just when you thought it’s gonna be a Jack and the Beanstalk reference

Lydia refuses to climb the tree Meh She spotted a balcony to reach the fruit easily, though.

Easy, my A$$! Ok, I deserve a kick in the nuts for more than poor memory, as I couldn’t find my way to that part of the balcony for more than 15 minutes.

Later that day…

Finally!

I guess I have all the ingredients now.

Sometimes, I wish it was Prince of Persia so I could just climb down that pillar.

Mustavio on the right and beneath scared the sh… out of me!

Non-students shouldn’t be in here, but I guess it’s alright under the circumstances. He’ll explain he came for the wine, but even more than that:

He fixes our pendant finally!

Why, on Youtube of course! Sarcastic

Anyway, I think I know whom should I pay a visit. I wonder if the tree will like the melody…

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Out, and into the forest.

I visited the tree site earlier, but now, due to some pixel hunting, had to run through the forest for couple of minutes until I’ve found it:

Oh, come on, you Fangorn beast! Open those sleepy eyes…

Later…

The tree is quite friendly, and after a little chit-chat:

This was the last ingredient I needed! Now, let’s do some cookin’!

But not before we drag that cauldron over here. (that’s the part resembling A Vampyre Story, although - there’re few small puzzles along the road in order to bring it over here, and Zak, unlike Froderick, isn’t helpful as much Smile)

But what if it was a bad…

Zak faints after drinking the potion. As well as Lydia, with another vision:

And then

We meet a cat on the crossway:

Yeap, it’s Zak. Grin I’ve gotta come honest here - some time ago, I stumbled upon some Keepsake concept arts, and saw this cat, and knew it’s somehow related to Zak. I thought that Zak is a cat originally, who’s been turned into wolf, and not that the spell had gone wrong.

Oh, come on - haven’t you heard a song? Grin

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Part 5: “Cat on a Hot Tin Roof of the Academy”

Ok, so it’s time to tackle that second trial - the trial of WISDOM!

Now, this is a nice little situational puzzle - the plan is to put Zak on the roof of the Academy so he can enter that broken window from above. You need to remember the right place where he can climb up. And then:

And he did it!

This is one of the more funnier scenes in the game - mainly because of Zak’s voice and him being a wise guy on the expense of distressed Lydia. Grin

Now, you take control of Zak also, in a cooperative puzzle where you need to rearrange the magic staircase in turns in order to reach the balcony with the second trial.

Finally, the second trial. Again, this is quite an interesting “quiz” puzzle, but I’m not sure if we were given enough clues during the course of the game to solve it. The reason I say this is - the object of the puzzle is to “connect” the runes with the appropriate riddle. However, I’ve found that there could be more than one rune that “fits” the description. For example, what would you say for:

Nature, Energy, Fire, Movement, Earth, Spiritual, Water or Celestial rune? Tongue

Anyway, I used the 2nd level hint which told me which 4 of 8 runes are used in the puzzle, without telling me the correct order. I’ve been lucky to put them in the right place in first try:

It’s time for the final trial!

Hmmm…

Aren’t these the biggest, and most certainly, the widest stairways in adventure game? Sarcastic

WT..? Ok, so the third trial is some sort of a magical VR? Great.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

diego - 13 August 2013 06:17 AM

Aren’t these the biggest, and most certainly, the widest stairways in adventure game? Sarcastic

I love it how magic schools in games always look really old. They have the ability to conjure fire, teleport, and transform you into a toad, and they can’t build an elevator? Seriously?
Tongue

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

diego - 11 August 2013 06:27 PM

We meet a cat on the crossway:
Yeap, it’s Zak. Grin I’ve gotta come honest here - some time ago, I stumbled upon some Keepsake concept arts, and saw this cat, and knew it’s somehow related to Zak. I thought that Zak is a cat originally, who’s been turned into wolf, and not that the spell had gone wrong.

Yeah… Right…Really?
I think you have already had plenty of clues to what or who Zak really is! But if you want to ignore all the clues in the game, and base you assumption on some concept art, then I wont (completely) spoil it for you… lets just say that you haven’t made your last transformation potion Smile

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Hehe, I know what you mean. Looking back, there were subtle clues but I haven’t really thought of that because of the cat image… but after the clue I posted with Zak speaking about the third trial it’s clear without a doubt.

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Oscar - 13 August 2013 06:31 AM

I love it how magic schools in games always look really old. They have the ability to conjure fire, teleport, and transform you into a toad, and they can’t build an elevator? Seriously?
Tongue

Staying in shape does matter with wizards too, I guess Tongue

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

diego - 11 August 2013 03:50 PM

But first - a puzzle. This got me stumped for some time, actually. I knew the three symbols:

had to do something with it, but couldn’t realize they have EVERYTHING to do with it, meaning the desired symbol you’re trying to complete is one of the three symbols. And the hint wasn’t overly helpful, too:

This was actually the very first puzzle I solved in the game, before I had even found Zak. I just happened to stumble across it and though “hey here is a puzzle to solve” without having the slightest idea about what I needed it for or what would happen when I solved it.

I thought it was pretty clear that you needed to recreate one or all of the symbols, and it just turned out that the only symbol I could figure out how to solve was the leaf which was also the correct symbol.

I was a however a bit disappointed that all I got for my trouble, was a nice little cut-scene, but no reward. Luckily I thought I might need it later, so I will just leave it as it is, which came in handy when I did get to the part where I needed it. 

And so, the tree grows!

One of the most beautiful scenes in the game IMO.

diego - 11 August 2013 06:27 PM

Actually, this was the last ingredient I needed. Now, let’s do some cookin’!

But not before we drag that cauldron over here. (that’s the part resembling A Vampyre Story Grin although - there’re few little puzzles along the road in order to bring it over here, and Zak, unlike Froderick, isn’t much helpful)

This actually annoyed the hell out of me -  Not dragging the cauldron to the kitchen, that was easy enough.

But I made the mistake of running directly to the cauldron and tried to move it to the kitchen, but just got a “It’s too heavy” response “lets try to find a smaller cauldron”. Okay, so I ran around looking for a smaller cauldron, back to the cellar, same response, run around a bit more…. finally after running around for what felt like hours, I used a hint, and it turns out that all I had to do was click on the fireplace in the kitchen before I could move the cauldron

diego - 13 August 2013 06:17 AM

Ok, so it’s time to tackle that second trial - the trial of WISDOM!
Finally, the second trial. Again, this is quite an interesting “quiz” puzzle, but I’m not sure if we were given enough clues during the course of the game to solve it. The reason I say this is - the object of the puzzle is to “connect” the runes with the appropriate riddle. However, I’ve found that there could be more than one rune that “fits” the description. For example, what would you say for:

Nature, Energy, Fire, Movement, Earth, Spiritual, Water or Celestial rune? Tongue

Anyway, I used the 2nd level hint which told me which 4 of 8 runes are used in the puzzle, without telling me the correct order. I’ve been lucky to put them in the right place in first try:

We aren’t really given any clues previously in the game, it is simply a “solve the riddles” puzzle, but with a twist that makes it a bit harder.

As you said there more than one possible solution to each riddle, but once you realise that the same rune can only be used once, then there is only one possible solution to all the riddles. So it is both a riddle puzzle and a combination puzzle.

What I did myself is that I wrote down all the possible answers to all the riddles, which allowed me to exclude 4 of the runes as not being the answer to any of the riddles, leaving me with only 4 runes as the possible answers. And once you have it on paper, there is pretty obviously only one way the 4 runes can match all the 4 riddles.

So I was able to solve this puzzle without any hints at all
It turned out that I had made a mistake, and only 3 of the runes were correct, and one I had excluded actually had to be used, so like you I had to use the 2nd level hint to get the 4 correct runes.
But the method is solid enough, and if I hadn’t made that one small mistake, then I would have been able to solve it without any hints at all. Confused

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Oscar - 13 August 2013 06:31 AM

Tongue

You forget the elevator between the wine cellar and the kitchen - I guess they only use elevators when it comes to the really important stuff, like wine Smile

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

It seems like you are ready for the upper part, I won’t spoil any surprises, but I will say that this is where that map becomes a real life saver!

Technically the upper part is even harder to navigate, but with the map you can always directly and easily see how to get from A to B, so there is no more:

Easily, my A$$! Ok, I deserve a kick in the nuts for more than poor memory, as I couldn’t find my way to that part of the balcony for more than 15 minutes.

I Promise

Without the map however ... lets just say that you would need to make a map yourself.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top