• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

lakerz

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Let’s Play Keepsake

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Since my candidates just can’t seem to win the voting Grin, I thought about Let’s Play - I’ve done this sort of a “screenshots playthrough” with The Black Mirror as well, although it was in the middle of AG site update, and new forum (especially in its early stages) wasn’t particularly favorable towards many pictures in a post. As I’m starting A Vampyre Story in a community playthrough, I think Keepsake will go well with it since, even though it’s a 3rd-person, it’s really a 1st-person in its soul featuring many logic puzzles. Also, I’m planning on a really slow tempo with this one, even though I have to say I’ve already played Keepsake several years ago, reaching somewhere around halfway through.

And even though it’s a solo playthrough, I’m really looking forward to hearing some of your thoughts on the game (perhaps someone would join in?), or “nudges” in the right direction if I get stuck.

Part 1: “Hello? Is there anybody in there?”

In the, more than enigmatic intro cutscene, we’re welcomed with a baritone, mysterious and sad “narrator’s” voice. How did this school become so empty? A schoolmaster, perhaps?

Then, in a Harry Potter-esque twist, we join heroine Lydia who arrives for her first day at Dragonvale Academy.

Worst! Voice acting! Ever! Grin

Ok, seriously, Mustavio’s voice might not be the worst, it’s just that it’s notorious for being over the top in trying to sound “Italian”. But give this guy a chance, and you’ll find him hilarious and will start to like it. Grin

After all, he’ll be sort of a “tutorial” and help you to get grip of the interface:

Well, I’d rather if I was able to just skip it, but alright.

I don’t remember it seeing in another adventure, but it’s a cool little feature that lets you show the main character with a pointing arrow with a right-click (in case you might get lost in the bushes).

The game has a really neat help system on more levels - you can get help as for where you should go next (the desired location pops up), and once in a logic puzzle, you can get the hints like in UHS files, from little to more obvious clues.

The inventory presents a little description of each item (although I had to return this vine to Mustavio Meh)

Nice scenery. The Academy is straight ahead.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Nice idea Diego, though i will try not to follow your posts, as i plan to play Keepsake somewhere in the near future, and don’t want too many spoilers Meh

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Lighthouse and Wicked Studio are responsible for the game, BTW. You can skip those animations each time you restart a game.

Saving/Loading system is rather confusing - it seems there’re no multiple save slots, perhaps only multiple “games” you can start with only one save slot.

Ummm… sure.

Ok, let’s continue. Some nice bird chirps coming in from the forest.

Bird’s-eye views were the specialty of the design team, it would seem. Can’t argue, the view is breathless.

However - the gate is closed, and no one seems to be answering. Strange.

Lydia was to meet with her friend Celeste here at the fountain.

And so, we’re presented with the first puzzle - it’s a rather easy introductory puzzle, but with some terrific minotaur figurines animation.

The gate opens.

The view inside is no less breathtaking. Apart from the fact that there’s no one to be found in the hall.

Well, I guess I’ll search the Academy and find where’s everyone.

Fair enough.

Lydia is being paranoid. Or not? Let’s head for the exit on the right.

There’s someone locked in the school “locker”.

Well, I wanted to open the locker with these tools. That should qualify as “I need them”, right? Ok, let’s find another way:

In the adjacent room, there’s some sort of a mechanism:

with many pillars like this:

but it turned out it has nothing to do with opening the locker.

Another locked clinched door. Back to the locker room:

After a chit-chat, with what seems to be a German shepherd judging by the silhouette, I’ve learned you need to press the rune in order to open the locker:

Ok, so it’s a wolf who says he’s actually a dragon. He claims some of the students joked with a spell on him.

Anyway, from this point Zak starts following Lydia. Great, a sidekick. Cool

He thinks everyone is in the studying room.

BTW, I’ve just remembered Zak mentioned keys in the locker apartment. You DON’T want to forget something in the other end of the Academy, because that means few minutes of walking/running there. Grin Yes, Lydia can run, but authors did not make other means of fast-travel available, like double clicking on the edges of screen or a map. There is a in-game map actually, but it’s non-clickable.

5 minutes later

Let’s inspect the second (or is it a third? ) floor.

And we’re at the balcony. Winds are strong here! Let’s go to the left.

Uh, Zak is acting weird.

A wolf, who thinks he’s a dragon who’s afraid of heights. Now I’ve seen everything.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Iznogood - 28 May 2013 02:39 PM

Nice idea Diego, though i will try not to follow your posts, as i plan to play Keepsake somewhere in the near future, and don’t want too many spoilers Meh

Fair enough Wink I think I might be going quite slow with Keepsake, especially during A Vampyre Story playthrough as I’m determined to play AVS full tempo (so many unfinished playthroughs… I’ll show everyone I’m a changed man Grin) so you might still catch and even join me afterwards Tongue

Total Posts: 363

Joined 2012-09-20

PM

Very good, Diego. It reminds me that I should replay Keepsake. It’s been a while now since I played it the last time and I enjoyed very much. But there are 2 or 3 puzzles that are mind-breakers near the end.

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Why are magic academies always so scenic? Wizards certainly know how to distract themselves from their studies with colorful surroundings.

I played this game a few years back when it first released. Maybe it’s time to search through my cluttered shelves and try it out again.

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

I could never finish this game. There was a bug in it that kept crashing me to the desktop at a specific puzzle and i’m not sure it was ever patched.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

UruBoo - 29 May 2013 08:31 AM

But there are 2 or 3 puzzles that are mind-breakers near the end.

I can imagine. I remember some of the puzzles being quite challenging even though I was still to advance to the second part of the game. But there is an in-game hint system, and what’s more - I feel like I’m in the mood for some “Myst-clone” puzzle fun Grin

Becky - 29 May 2013 10:16 AM

Why are magic academies always so scenic? Wizards certainly know how to distract themselves from their studies with colorful surroundings.

Indeed Tongue I have to admit I’ve watched only first Harry Potter movie several years ago, and I forgot the look of its academy, but I like the “architecture” of this one. The only drawback is, as I said, that the authors opted for a “realism” and you need to pass hefty amount of screens in order to get from one part to another Grin

Lucien21 - 29 May 2013 02:31 PM

I could never finish this game. There was a bug in it that kept crashing me to the desktop at a specific puzzle and i’m not sure it was ever patched.

There is a patch available on the official site, but I’m not sure if it fixes that problem.

Total Posts: 1075

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

I dont get the idea of your let’s play..coz you playing and make us watching.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Gabe - 29 May 2013 04:19 PM

I dont get the idea of your let’s play..coz you playing and make us watching.

i love the way how you keep silent for months and suddenly come up with the brightest post. Tongue

On-topic.

this Game diego i tried to play twice and i always end up uninstalling it.. its intro when i 1st watched maybe 6 year ago .. i was like jumping of my chair and wondering about how great this one is gonna be .. but don’t know as the game has all the elements of a great game but something very wrong with it maybe the terrible humor but then that is alright many great games failed to make me laugh but they ended up to be great .Keepsake is one of those game that felt for me like i should/must continue playing it every time i opened it not that i really wanted to ,the vast locations the nice animation and the puzzles i met at the 20-25% of what i played all theses are good but there is something dull, very dull about the game, the story itself is good but the script is so bad(imo).. after seeing your lets play starts i went to watch one of the lets play instead of installing the game once again and put aside later, and when i watched a bit of what i had played before again it seemed interesting , plus i know that many PP here appreciate keepsake.. but i ended up deciding/thinking what didn’t work for me twice before why would it now..

last thing i wanna add;i think Keepsake fails to hold a certain theme , is it Mystery,Comedy,fantasy? .. does it represent games like syibera or does it represent Games like AVS .. i dont know.

anyway good job with the still motion lets play, nice idea i don’t know if anyone had ever made it before here or somewhere else or you are the pioneer at this style.

and about the community playthrough which mentioned at your 1st post , i never was a part of any but looking the list of the games that had been chosen/played before i think AVS is the weakest of them all , maybe its a good game by itself but i noticed that the list holds all kind of brain smashing Adventures and i always thought the community’s tend to chose difficult ones so there would be fun in playing them together but AVS as a Community playthrough Adventure ..... hmm i wondered what anyone would post there about the while playing.. anyway i mean its not game that can hold many players together over play it .

at last i will be continuing following this thread and reading your remarks/comments about each screen you post to have the fun that i could not at playing keepsake myself. Smile

goodluck there. Wink

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Advie - 29 May 2013 08:48 PM

anyway good job with the still motion lets play, nice idea i don’t know if anyone had ever made it before here or somewhere else or you are the pioneer at this style.

Thanks, but far from it that I’ve pioneered it Tongue - for example, on this site there’re plenty of screenshot Let’s Plays. For example, take a look at Sins of the Fathers or Monkey Island LP

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

We move across the balcony. Splendid view, I almost feel bad for resizing it.

Finally an unlocked door. Or is it because I’ve collected those keys? Now I can’t remember if you’re ever supposed to actually use items in a traditional sense.

There’s a plaque here referring to the the history of the Academy. And the door:

Well, this one is definitely locked. And whaddaya know, a mini-game:

I’m SURE I did this type of puzzle previously is some other game Tongue (you know, getting from right to left, and vice versa), but it won’t hurt to beat it again. I had slight problems in the opening minutes, but after awhile:

The door opens. I think that’s an owl in the top right corner which was in the next room, even though Zak thinks it’s a beast.

More corridors.

Love this part of the castle.

Actually, this one deserves a “full view”:

Another plaque

I failed to mention earlier, but the music is as enchanting as the scenery, like this piece played in this part.

It’s all (magician’s) Greek to me.

Not much help from Zak, either.

Anyway, I fell like I should express now that I like how the game lets you explore the castle at your will, but it also doesn’t provide enough feedback in what’re you exactly supposed to do (and I don’t want to use hints as yet). It’s not much of a trouble as the atmosphere is right, but that also means you’ll spend plenty of time going places, and I repeat that apart from running there’re no other means of fast-travel in a huge castle. There’s a map:

which is somewhat confusing, but at least you’ll get a picture of the castle and your whereabouts.

Total Posts: 783

Joined 2010-10-26

PM

Keeeeeeepsake! Grin I really like this game!
Sometimes feels like TLJ because of the dynamic between Lydia and Zak (like April and Crow) , sometimes feels like Syberia with it’s melancoly, sometimes like a Myst game (because of the teleporting), sometimes…umm… you get the point… Crazy

I like the stunning graphics, the funny stuff,  the flashbacks (or whatever you call them) sometimes very sad…
I remember all the runing around, sometimes annoying, but it’s worth it.
My favorite cutscene is of the big tree that is growing , I’ve also liked the concept of thechanging of seasons orb , in which you could see the classroom in all the seasons and visit it I don’t think I’ve encountered such a thing in other games.
About the map, I actually think the map is only for the European version, if I remember right.

About that type of puzzle ( getting from right to left, and vice versa):
Yeah, I also encountered it a few times. The one that I remember right now, is from a Tex game.

I am baaaaaaaack!

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

kate me - 31 May 2013 04:34 PM

I really like this game!
Sometimes feels like TLJ because of the dynamic between Lydia and Zak (like April and Crow) , sometimes feels like Syberia with it’s melancoly, sometimes like a Myst game (because of the teleporting), sometimes…umm… you get the point… Crazy

Exactly, this is probably one of those games where you can’t really describe it with just a couple of words - like saying that it’s a “3rd-person fantasy game” wouldn’t completely do it justice.

About the map, I actually think the map is only for the European version, if I remember right.

Or perhaps the map is added with the patch? Now I can’t remember because I’ve already patched my game.

About that type of puzzle ( getting from right to left, and vice versa):
Yeah, I also encountered it a few times. The one that I remember right now, is from a Tex game.

I played recently another game with the similar type of puzzle, I think it’s a recent-ish game, I’ll try to remember. I think it was more complicated than this one in Keepsake, I knew it gave me slightly more of a headache. Tongue

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Darn, I’ll have to tread carefully in this thread to avoid spoilers (since I do plan on playing this at a certain point in the future).

Couldn’t you wait for a community playthrough? It’s bound to come up sometime after Obsidian and IHNMAIMS… Tongue

The screenshots look absolutely gorgeous, though! Gasp

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

TimovieMan - 04 June 2013 01:22 PM

since I do plan on playing this at a certain point in the future

Oh, yeah, I remember reading somewhere your full neverending “to do” list Tongue Good luck Keepsake!

TimovieMan - 04 June 2013 01:22 PM

Couldn’t you wait for a community playthrough? It’s bound to come up sometime after Obsidian and IHNMAIMS… Tongue

With my luck, Roberta Williams would sooner make another adventure than my nominee winning the voting! Grin

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top