• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissie

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Classic Adventuring elements/features that are almost diminishing (Survey)

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

1.Vast Exploration and Vast Locations from Start.

2.A big Number of NPCs to interact with .

3.NPCs Changes location and Give different clues/answers along the Game.

4.Doing Tasks for others was a main concept to move on.

5.Surroundings/Objects can Change/appear at some certain time.

6.Narrators always added and revealed inner feelings of our heroes such as the way with Story telling.

7.Examining things or interacting with NPCs (again) can always reveal something new.

8.Not all objects/Hot-Spots contain clues ,sometimes they are just there.

9.An inventory object held from that start would stay unusable until a certain point far ‘til at the game end (used as cliche).

10.The puzzles used to get harder as you progress in the game.

11 Almost always the last puzzle that ends the game was terribly difficult.

12 Score or progress was monitored, and if not, music theme rewards you, whenever you do a right action .

13.There was always a hotspot (pixel hunt) that intentionally hiding badly.

14.Always there is 1 or 2 puzzles that intended to be the ‘crème de la crème’ of the game, that really bust your mind!!

15.At least 2-3 Puzzles, can be done ‘at one phase’ without a-must-do-order.

16.Many dialogues (babbling) had nothing to do with solving the game’s puzzles were ‘just’ there to make you happy/for fun.(i Give this to Tim)

17.The hero never says/give a clue like ‘i need to’.. or ‘i should’, he just describes what there is be.. .

18.Music almost accompanied the player/game all the time, as a surround ambient sound to keep his/her enjoyment at every scene .

19.Inventory combining were always a tricky job, and not (if never) the 1st things that comes up to our little/shallow mind.

20.NON-Interactive Surroundings hold clues sometimes, some things can be seen all the time, for you to notice what are they represent/are-about without being clickable/hot-spots.

21.Always Trying crazy stuff can reward great surprises you would never have thought they are possible.

22.There was always a total big number of rooms/backgrounds.
————————————————————————————————————————————-
Added:

24.Text phaser ...

25.Many verbs/actions to use to the least of the 3-4 coin’s commands .

Total Posts: 358

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Nice list. I appreciate and enjoy a lot of the things described here.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Thanks Quest , they are not all on the same level of importance but undeniable.

Total Posts: 88

Joined 2012-07-10

PM

To me you fail to mention the biggest thing that seem to disappear from the time of classic quests games and this is the verb system (take, use, look, open, eat etc.) which made the game more challenging, its seem to start to disappear from adventure games toward the end of the 90’es.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Ingsoc - 13 May 2013 10:28 AM

To me you fail to mention the biggest thing that seem to disappear from the time of classic quests games and this is the verb system (take, use, look, open, eat etc.) which made the game more challenging, its seem to start to disappear from adventure games toward the end of the 90’es.

The verb system is still there. Most new games now use two verbs: “look” and “use” but you could say there’s also “give” when you use an inventory item on someone. Having “open” and “close” hardly made games more challenging: if there was a door or a chest, it’s obvious that you need to open it. The Space Quest system of “taste”, “smell” etc was interesting in terms of challenge but i’m not sure it was much more than entertainment value. It was not used in many actual puzzles.

I don’t like the decline from lots of verbs to just two (less control) but the worst is just having a pointer and clicking on things, which is becoming more common. You’re just telling the character where to go and in most cases don’t know what he’s going to do. More abstract games like Machinarium it works better. In Kyrandia it was infuriating at times.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

It is a nice list and it is probably undeniable that they are less used in modern games, i however don’t agree that it is always a bad thing. Some of the things on the list is things i really miss, but there are others that i am quite glad are almost gone.

The three i personally miss the most are:

2.A big Number of NPCs to interact with.

15.At least 2-3 Puzzles there ,can be done at one phase without a must-do-order.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

22. One (and only one) ending when you reach the end of the game.

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

I was going to reply to this thread at length, but then I realized it would just be 21 iterations of either “you’re wrong” or “good riddance”, so I won’t.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Some of those have migrated into other genres, some we are better off. I for one dislike pixel hunting, as I find those kind of puzzle to be more of an annoyance than a pleasure. Character interaction and the like are a part of any good RPG. Even streamlined RPG’s like Mass Effect often have pretty good NPC interaction, be it changing topics or getting new info.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

thanks Ingsoc Oscar and Zifnab for your posts which are definitely needed to be added to the list.

@Izno you said ‘i however don’t agree that it is always a bad thing’ but where did you get this idea i m just collecting/remembering elements i had witnessed diminishing or disappearing with every new year since ‘84 and whether they are good or bad is not the issue at all.

Total Posts: 245

Joined 2006-05-20

PM

I miss this. I agree that the player shouldnt get disoriented and lost, and its crazy when you get stuck and have to comb through 20 screens, but I still miss the exploration part. It’s supposed to be an “adventure” game!

One of the things I’m really looking forward to in Dreamfall Chapters is the ability to free roam a larger area. It’s something I liked in Myst as well. I’ve always wondered why someone doesn’t take an RPG engine like Skyrim, remove the combat and replace the fetch quests with adventure game style puzzles.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Advie - 13 May 2013 11:46 AM

@Izno you said ‘i however don’t agree that it is always a bad thing’ but where did you get this idea i m just collecting/remembering elements i had witnessed diminishing or disappearing with every new year since ‘84 and whether they are good or bad is not the issue at all.

Ahh - Well i misunderstood your purpose then, you have my most sincere apologizes.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 1075

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Advie - 13 May 2013 05:15 AM

1.Vast Exploration and Vast Locations from Start.???

2.A big Number of NPCs to interact with . ??

3.NPCs Changes Location and Give different Clues/answers along the Game.?

4.Doing Tasks for others was a main concept to move on.

5.Surroundings or Objects… ??

Where are the examples, which agames you specify?

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

You really want to me to go through giving each point and mention like five examples/title(s)?!!

ok just for tesing my memory i will add you here one title Each Question

Gabe - 13 May 2013 01:40 PM
Advie - 13 May 2013 05:15 AM

1.Vast Exploration and Vast Locations from Start.???  King’s Quest IV

2.A big Number of NPCs to interact with . ??  How about MI 1&2

3.NPCs Changes Location and Give different Clues/answers along the Game.? i can remeber Baderunner for now or Amazon Queen

4.Doing Tasks for others was a main concept to move on. (So you wanna be a hero) Hero’s Quest

5.Surroundings or Objects… ??  sorry i didnt get that Tongue

Where are the examples, which agames you specify?

——————————————————————-

Kurufinwe - 13 May 2013 11:36 AM

I was going to reply to this thread at length, but then I realized it would just be 21 iterations of either “you’re wrong” or “good riddance”, so I won’t.

I ll be glad if you would

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

So many of the things you’ve listed sound like features of RPG’s as much as or more than adventures—especially the first few. Not that that’s a bad thing—it’s why so many of us like RPG’s.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

crabapple - 13 May 2013 06:14 PM

So many of the things you’ve listed sound like features of RPG’s as much as or more than adventures—especially the first few. Not that that’s a bad thing—it’s why so many of us like RPG’s.

Not RPG ,
classic adventures Mam’/Sir
how old are you anyway ?

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top