• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day — Tuesday 7 May 2013

Total Posts: 363

Joined 2012-09-20

PM

I don’t know if it’s illegal or not. I only know that if you want some games in its full content, that place is one of them. And you have to pay for it. I tried to get some games free over the internet but couldn’t. There are some games you just can’t find for buying anymore, even if you try hard. Well, at least someone is providing them, with a cheap charge.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

You might as well get them for free, because none of that money is going to go to anyone involved with making the game.

Joined 2012-09-20

PM

Well, if you find me a place that I can get old stuff for free or even buying them legally, I will agree with you. But that is not the case with some games.

Total Posts: 473

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Oscar - 11 May 2013 11:47 PM

You might as well get them for free, because none of that money is going to go to anyone involved with making the game.

According to Moby Games, these are all games from Legend Entertainment:

•Callahan’s Crosstime Saloon
•Companions of Xanth
•Death Gate
•Eric the Unready
•Frederik Pohl’s Gateway
•Gateway II: Homeworld
•John Saul’s Blackstone Chronicles: An Adventure…
•The Lost Adventures of Legend
•Mission Critical
•Shannara
•Spellcasting 101: Sorcerers get all the Girls
•Spellcasting 201: The Sorcerer’s Appliance
•Spellcasting 301: Spring Break
•Spellcasting Party Pak
•Star Control 3
•Superhero League of Hoboken
•Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines
•Timequest
•Unreal Deal Pack
•Unreal Gold Edition
•Unreal II: eXpanded MultiPlayer
•Unreal II: The Awakening
•Unreal II: The Awakening (Special Edition)
•Unreal Mission Pack 1: Return to Na Pali
•Unreal: Gold
•The Wheel of Time

Are you saying that we should get these games for “free” because the current copyright holder was not “involved” in making the game?

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Bonsai - 12 May 2013 12:06 AM

Are you saying that we should get these games for “free” because the current copyright holder was not “involved” in making the game?

No, I was saying there’s really no difference between downloading them for free and downloading them for payment through an abandonware site.

I’m not advocating piracy at all.

Joined 2012-09-20

PM

And I’m not advocating piracy at all either. I have a collection of AGs (more then 500) that were bought legally. The truth is that some games are not found for selling “legally” any more. The company and the publisher are dead. What do you do? Search internet and find that someone in Amazon site is able to sell it? Knowing that the stuff you want is no longer avaliable for, they charge a big money. I prefer to look for those who can be reasonable enough and charge the amount it deserves. Do I am encouraging piracy?  I don’t know! I just want to get the game I want and, if I can’t get it the legal way, because there is NO LEGAL WAY to get it, then I try another way.

[Edit: by the way, if any one knows how to get Death Gate, Shannara and Black Dahlia legally this days, I will be happy to know how and where.]

Total Posts: 473

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Oscar, I totally agree with you that if a game is “truly” Abandonware, then it should “never” come with a price-tag.  Sorry if I misunderstood your point.  I hate piracy.  The site UruBoo posted [link removed] has this game for “free.”

Atari was the last one to own the rights to Legend Entertainment games, but discontinued the “Legend” name.  So who knows if Atari abandoned the games, just doesn’t care or some other scenario.

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

But then, UruBoo has a point. Legality aside, if a website is providing a service which people are willing to pay for - providing full copies of abandoned games - then why not charge? It’s only our sense of justice which says they shouldn’t be getting money, but if the rights-holders don’t care does it matter?

If I had a choice between
A: Old adventure games not being distributed, not being played and becoming lost in the mists of time
and
B: Old games being “sold” and played without permission or concern

I would choose B, no hesitation.

Joined 2012-09-20

PM

Zifnab - 12 May 2013 01:09 AM

But then, UruBoo has a point. Legality aside, if a website is providing a service which people are willing to pay for - providing full copies of abandoned games - then why not charge? It’s only our sense of justice which says they shouldn’t be getting money, but if the rights-holders don’t care does it matter?

If I had a choice between
A: Old adventure games not being distributed, not being played and becoming lost in the mists of time
and
B: Old games being “sold” and played without permission or concern

I would choose B, no hesitation.

That’s my point. I don’t see any diference with those who charge for a thing in Amazon and for those who charge elsewhere. Providing that the stuff they sell is not avaliable legally anymore, what the heeck? I really try to buy games legally but when there is not any place else to find it, what should I do? Forget it and think that the game is lost in time? If someone is making money with something that had “disappeared”, and no one can have it, good for him! Isn’t that what everyone do? Just to make clear that I’m talking about games that you can’t find anymore legally, ok?

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Virtually any game can be found legally. Buy them second hand from Ebay or other such site. A quick seach just now has all three games mentioned above for about £10 each.

Abandonware is piracy pure and simple. There is no such legal loophole which allows for games to be “abandoned”

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

Please do not share links to abandonware or any other sort of illegal game sharing.

The previous links has been removed and here’s our official views on the matter:

No pirated software
We have a zero tolerance policy on pirated software. Any messages soliciting or promoting warez will be immediately deleted and posting privileges will be revoked.

No abandonware
We also kindly request that you do not post links to so-called ‘abandonware’. Although we sympathize with the preservation of games that have gone out of print, we choose not to tread any murky legal ground.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top