• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

angelus_04walas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

2013 is holding back!....

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

remember at this time (almost) last year there was a dozen of titles that were out and already had great feedback and successes , i remember we were screaming ‘easy on us Devs’ with the rate of games that were released not to mention the quality all the same, the expectations for 2013 was even more high than ever we all considered that the burst of Adventure gaming last year easily would be nothing to this one we thought 2012 was just a warm up for what is coming next.

of course its still early, but think or even try to predict ;for instance daedalic released 4 Great Adventures last year with 2 parts of one game Deponia!! ,well did this even happen at the history of adventuring before?! .. but now we are almost near half a year of adventuring iam sorry , i enjoyed nada so far , nothing that came out since jan that really was worth it, and please lets not get into mentioning episodes or indies .

and as for daedalic 2013 do any expect that really will release their 4 targeted games for 2013 before it is over i believe if they came up with 2 titles that would be even a great enough, what is it?! are Devs afraid competition do they think maybe lets wait until LSL Reloaded is out and about and then we can make our releases ,and even it seems all upcoming games now are questionable ; either TBA or Release dates postponed ‘til further notice ...

i am being negative i know ,but , i am sure that the 2nd half of this year will show its real face!.. but however it would be i am sorry to say that i am not sure it would be like the last year quantities and qualities , i remember at october 2012 there was one day 3 great awaited titles were released , just in one day for god sake ..

whatever is happening i am little disappointed so far or at least this is not what i expected form 2013, maybe i am wrong and games will start to fall down like rain and get us all drowned! but still it seems kinda of a dream(IMO).

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

I seriously doubt any developers are holding back releasing their games over the fear of the looming release of Leasure Suit Larry: Reloaded.

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Well it’s definitely a slower start. The beginning of 2012 had games coming out almost every week! I don’t mind because it gives me a chance to catch up Smile

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

I honestly don’t see a big difference. Just look at the 2012 Aggie nominees, which is a decent way to quantify last year’s “relevant” adventures. Out of 25 nominees, only 5 were released in the first 4 months of the year (6 if you count the first episode of The Walking Dead in late April).

Now, if we look at the 2013 releases, Kentucky Route Zero, Cognition, The Cave, ASA and Year Walk are sure to get at least a nomination in some category, with possibly Carol Reed or Fester Mudd as well. So it’s really not that different.

Releases just tend to get lumped late in the year, that’s all.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Maybe it just seems that way because the reviews have slowed down in favour of features and minor games. The last major game review was Cold Case Summer or Fester Mud almost 2 months ago. Someone should tally up the number of reviews this year compared with last, probably isn’t much different.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

I agree with Advie, so far it has been very slow with new major releases this year.

But as i remember it that was also the case in 2012, up until the release of Chains of Satinav, Deponia and Resonance, all released if i remember correctly in June and July, there really wasn’t any titles word mentioning.

I don’t really know why this is the case, and i can’t remember if it has always been like this, but the timing of kickstarters might have something to do with it this year.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Iznogood - 07 May 2013 07:08 AM

I agree with Advie, so far it has been very slow with new major releases this year.

But as i remember it that was also the case in 2012, up until the release of Chains of Satinav, Deponia and Resonance, all released if i remember correctly in June and July, there really wasn’t any titles word mentioning.

Botanicula, Corrosion: Cold Winter Waiting, JULIA, The Walking Dead, A Stroke of Fate: Operation Valkyrie, Amber’s Blood, The Journey Down, Yesterday.

Not all of them were great but people were talking about them. Even poorly received games like Dark Secrets and Miskatonic were being talked about. Now it’s all about Kickstarter and upcoming games. It’s been a while since I’ve seen a thread about a recent game.

Whenever a new review appears on the main page it’s more than likely to be a casual, tablet-based game or something that looks like it’s been thrown together over a few weeks.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

i see most posts more like calculating the numbers released between now and then with no consideration to the quality and the expectations we all had above all (i am talking like that out of being one of the regular forums user)

but even;
Kuru’s had mentioned 3 Episodes and i think episodic games can not be judged/considered until all the episode are completed, in the end (imo) they are jut one game separated in many parts because production issues we all know about ..

The Cave, ASA are the only games that matter maybe until this moment (sorry if i forgotten about them at my 1st post they are good, and tho i didnt play the cave to decide but i do trust people opinion about it here)

Oscar and Izno reminded of the 1st 4 month of 2012 and as you guys mentioned them out of proving the idea that 2012 start is similar to 2013 i see it differently , do you think Botanicula,JULIA, Yesterday , Amber’s Blood were just any Adventures?.

anyway i didn’t want to get into this comparison with 2012 i wanted to predict or explain this Slow Start as Zifnab mentioned and the possibilities of the upcoming months to catch up, in case we believe that the start so far do not give a good Impression about the future of 2013 , we have that saying around my land ‘a book is revealed from its prologue’

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Oscar - 07 May 2013 07:20 AM

Botanicula, Corrosion: Cold Winter Waiting, JULIA, The Walking Dead, A Stroke of Fate: Operation Valkyrie, Amber’s Blood, The Journey Down, Yesterday.

Not all of them were great but people were talking about them. Even poorly received games like Dark Secrets and Miskatonic were being talked about. Now it’s all about Kickstarter and upcoming games. It’s been a while since I’ve seen a thread about a recent game.

We can always discuss what a major game is, or the qualitites of the games you just mentioned, but for me personally it was mostly games of a different kind then my preference, or games that ended up greatly disapointing me. My preference might not be objective criteria, but i think most will agree that the 2nd half of 2012 was much better than the 1st half.

Oscar - 07 May 2013 07:20 AM

Whenever a new review appears on the main page it’s more than likely to be a casual, tablet-based game or something that looks like it’s been thrown together over a few weeks.

You could just as well say that for the games you mentiond above from 2012, and is just as subjective as my comment about 2012. Not that i disagree, I actually agree, my point is just that for me the 1st part of 2012 was just as bad.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I think it’s just a coincidence. It’s not like any devs are really taking on a wait-and-see-what-the-Kickstarters-do approach. There would hardly be any point…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

TimovieMan - 07 May 2013 02:21 PM

I think it’s just a coincidence. It’s not like any devs are really taking on a wait-and-see-what-the-Kickstarters-do approach. There would hardly be any point…

let me ask you this (relatively) if you see the Marketing People at those Developers Companies don’t care about other Adventures releases ..
How would it be if Mage’s Initiation,Quest for Infamy and Hero-U were released all in a small/same period ?

Edit: i have edited the farming of the Question to make more sense.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

They absolutely care about other releases, which is exactly why waiting for the Kickstarters is a bad idea. There’s a relative drought at the moment. If anyone had a game ready to release, last month was the time to release it.

Suppose they wait for the Kickstarters, and Larry comes along, and does well. Do you really want to compete with a game that does well? Postponing would then put you up against other Kickstarters (who will have gotten a boost from Larry). Too much competition in a small genre hurts it, imo.
And if Larry fails to do well, then everyone will start questioning our genre again: do you really want to release your game at a time like that?

I really feel that waiting for the Kickstarters is a bad idea, and I think most marketeers realize that. No games getting released means there weren’t any ready for release. Hence, I think it’s just a coincidence.

Besides, we had a couple of games in January, we’ll have a couple in the next two-three months, and there’ll be a bunch at the end of the year. That’s actually not even all that different from other years…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Advie - 07 May 2013 02:29 PM

How would it be if Mage’s Initiation,Quest for Infamy and Hero-U were released all in a small/same period ?

Probably not so good, but i don’t think they are planning their releases so they don’t overlap. A big studio might be able to sit on a game for months, to avoid being drowned in other releases, but i don’t think a small studio can afford that.

I think it has more to do with many studios try to get their games released before Christmas, and especially avoid January were many are still playing their Christmas presents.

And then there is as Tim said also simple coincidence.

I also believe that the whole timing of the Kickstarters has an influence this year, not because others are holding back their releases, but because it is only about now that we will begin to see the result of the Kickstarters.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

@Tim and Izno
i will not say i am not convinced but i d rather say that didn’t change my idea of Devs Holding Back (imo of course)  Content

but lets not get drifted away of the idea of The Devs themselves holding back, the only thing i thought of at staring the thread is to point out this poor period of Adventing so far at the last months of 2013 and if this gonna change anytime soon and in what rate.

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Fair enough - Its not like either of us has any inside knowledge.

Total Posts: 1341

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

Actually, they’re all waiting for Jonathan Boakes and Matt Clark to release their games. Tongue (Sorry, couldn’t resist.)

Nah, any game that hasn’t been released yet simply isn’t done. There’s no grand conspiracy. Most developers don’t have a clue when other adventures are releasing. Hell, most developers don’t have a clue when THEY will be releasing. I know, I have to monitor AG’s release calendar! They couldn’t coordinate schedules if they wanted to.

Every year has dead periods. We’re just in this year’s now. I wouldn’t be surprised if some high-ish profile games slip to 2014. That also happens every year. But I still think that come the end of the year, no one will remember that April was a quiet month.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top