• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissieDale

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

DIFFERENT TYPES OF ADVENTURE GAME PUZZELS - Your thoughts?

Total Posts: 198

Joined 2012-08-03

PM

Hi fellow AG’s. I was trying to sit down and think of the different kinds of puzzles that we end up solving when playing our lovely Adventure Games.

I came up with 5 different kinds of puzzles. I might have left something out.

It would be nice to hear your thoughts on the different kinds of puzzle types below, and pick your brain on how you think: a good puzzle should be created (referring to the different types below ), an example of a certain puzzle that you enjoyed and why, and which game it was from.

1. Inventory puzzles

Combine Object A with Object B

Not many games get this right, but I love games that only allow objects getting picked up when they are needed, or when you only can combine object A with B when it makes actually makes sense to do it. A few games that I can think of that made this work are Gabriel Knight 1, Broken Sword 1, and Still Life. Also I like if the needed object is lying around somewhere near where it’s needed to be combined with the other object. For instance picking up a crowbar somewhere close to a crate that needs to be opened. A bad way would be for the player to pick up the crowbar 10 screens away in another area of the game world, 3 hours before it is actually needed. For instance the Tex Murphy games is doing this right. (Most of the times)

2. Isolated puzzles

Slider puzzles, mathematical puzzles, etc.

I don’t really have anything good to say about these kinds of puzzles. I don’t like them at all, but they always seem to be around. I know that some people might like them.

3. Environment puzzles   (not sure what to call these kind of puzzles, but I hope you get my point)

Example: To figure out a combination to a safe or how to open a door by getting information from the environment in the game (for instance reading a journal, solving a riddle, finding secondary information from conversations, etc.)

These types of puzzles are actually my favorites, as long as they can be solved with in-game information, and not by outside information/knowledge.

A textbook example on how NOT to design as puzzle like this is the cake baking puzzle in Still Life, where the player actually needs to know how to bake a certain recipe for real. There is no info in the game on how to do it, and the player needs to do a real Internet search, or actually know for real how to do it.

4. Dialogue puzzles

Open up new conversation trees by getting access to new information

A good example of a game that I think changed dialog puzzles to something interesting was Resonance.

5. Timed puzzles

Just like with slider puzzles, I really hate these kinds of events. I have nothing good to say about it. I am pretty sure that no Adventure Gamer like these. Smile

Anticipating:The Devil’s Men

Recently played:GK1 Remake (4), A Golden Wake (3), Child of Light (4) Memento Mori 2 (4) Face Noir (3.5) Tex Murphy: Tesla Effect (4) Blackwell Epiphany (4.5),Broken Sword 5(4.5), The Shivah Remake (4.5), Monkey Island 2 Remake (4.5)

Top 10 Adventure Games:Tex Murphy: Pandora Directive, Gabriel Knight:The Beast Within, Broken Sword:Shadow of the Templars, Gabriel Knight:Sins of the Fathers, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Tex Murphy: Under a Killing Moon, Lost Horizon, Grim Fandago, The Longest Journey, Blackwell Epiphany

Total Posts: 358

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Well said.

I like all but No. 5, and I kinda don’t love No. 2.

Regarding No. 3, I kinda like riddles that require some general outside knowledge. I mean nothing too technical or obscure, but you have to know SOMETHING. Kinda like with the riddles in Conquests of Camelot. I thought those were fun. You can ask friends for help, and they don’t have to know anything about what’s going on in the game. If the subject in which knowledge is needed is cooking, for example, and if it’s something that requires knowledge of how to hard boil an egg or something basic, then fine. But not if it’s like how to prepare a perfect herb crusted rack of lamb. And so what if you have to do some research? I think that’s kinda fun and educational. It’s kind of like doing detective work. It just shouldn’t be so strict and unforgiving in terms of expecting precise accuracy, as it was at times in Jim Walls games like Codename:Iceman and PQ.

Total Posts: 401

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

I think you missed an important type of puzzle - 3D spacial exploration. Rhem is a good expample of this where you have to process the 2D slideshow into a 3D environment. Somewhat maze-like, but requires more thought and recognition. One of my favorite types of puzzles. Other examples are Obsidian, Riven and Riddle of the Sphinx. Of your list, I like the standalone puzzles and some inventory based challenges. I absolutely hate dialogue and timed/stealth puzzles.

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

Quest1 - 01 May 2013 09:00 AM

Kinda like with the riddles in Conquests of Camelot. I thought those were fun. You can ask friends for help, and they don’t have to know anything about what’s going on in the game.

Those kinds of things were great back in the day, if you had friends who played those games.  The idea of the camaraderie of adventure gamers back in the day is something that doesn’t exist anymore in the age of internet faqs and instant help/solutions.  But growing up with these games, playing them when they were new and all your friends were playing them.  Coming to school excited to share newly discovered information—that was what it was all about.  Gamers today don’t have any idea what that kind of experience is like.  It absolutely MADE those games.

That said, I don’t think they’d go over well today.  I think a general rule of thumb for adventure game puzzle design is that the puzzles either have to be explicitly logical, or the solutions (or hints for the solutions) need to be able to be found IN GAME.

I’m a fan of things like slider puzzles IF they are done well.  The problem with those kinds of mechanical puzzles is that they were usually completely arbitrary, with little in the way of clues as to whether or not you were making any sort of progress towards the solution.  I seem to remember Myst having a shitload of those crappy puzzles.  One of the best slider puzzles I can think of is from The Dig, where you have to manipulate a bunch of crystal rods to reactivate the defunct tram system.  The rods would subtly glow, which increased in intensity as you manipulated them.  It was basically a “warmer, cooler” scenario.  You just had to keep messing with them until they were all as warm as possible, then they would activate.  There were clearly defined visual cues that showed you that you were on the right track.

Joined 2012-08-03

PM

colpet - 01 May 2013 09:09 AM

I think you missed an important type of puzzle - 3D spacial exploration. Rhem is a good expample of this where you have to process the 2D slideshow into a 3D environment. Somewhat maze-like, but requires more thought and recognition. One of my favorite types of puzzles. Other examples are Obsidian, Riven and Riddle of the Sphinx. Of your list, I like the standalone puzzles and some inventory based challenges. I absolutely hate dialogue and timed/stealth puzzles.

Wow, did not think of that kind of puzzles. Smile To be honest, I am not a big fan of solitary exploration games, and I have only played a few of them. It sounds like a pretty fun puzzle design though.

Recently played:GK1 Remake (4), A Golden Wake (3), Child of Light (4) Memento Mori 2 (4) Face Noir (3.5) Tex Murphy: Tesla Effect (4) Blackwell Epiphany (4.5),Broken Sword 5(4.5), The Shivah Remake (4.5), Monkey Island 2 Remake (4.5)

Top 10 Adventure Games:Tex Murphy: Pandora Directive, Gabriel Knight:The Beast Within, Broken Sword:Shadow of the Templars, Gabriel Knight:Sins of the Fathers, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Tex Murphy: Under a Killing Moon, Lost Horizon, Grim Fandago, The Longest Journey, Blackwell Epiphany

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

should the Mechanical Puzzles go under Environment puzzles , (you know) those puzzle when you start click that switch this until you know what the hell is going on or has to be done , the water tank at Riven (as it stands alone from all the other connected puzzles of Riven represent this example good enough)

Image Attachments

riven-ui.jpeg

Click thumbnail to see full-size image

Joined 2012-08-03

PM

Advie - 01 May 2013 09:22 AM

should the Mechanical Puzzles go under Environment puzzles , (you know) those puzzle when start click that switch this until you know what the hell is going on or has to be done , the water tank at Riven (as it stands alone from all the other connected puzzles of Riven represent this example good enough)

Good question, I was actually thinking about that before, and I could not figure it out. I would probably put it under Stand Alone puzzles, but it is a thin line between that and Environmental puzzles.

Total Posts: 87

Joined 2007-07-23

PM

I’d say they should go in a new category. That Riven mechanism wouldn’t work in many other styles of games, whereas the “classic/generic” standalone puzzles tend to be reincarnations of pre-computer puzzles of one kind or another, like sliding-block puzzles or reassemble-the-torn-paper… The fact that it’s on one screen shouldn’t really affect the category.
Your current “environmental puzzles” is more about how information is given, rather than the puzzle itself. If you were given information somewhere about what item might be used for some purpose, wouldn’t that fit in category 1 rather than 3?
Category 3 could be further split up. If it’s just a case of finding a safe combination in one place and using it on the safe in another place, that isn’t much of a puzzle in itself, more like a test of whether you’ve explored enough. It fits more with category 1, but with a virtual rather than “physical” item. If however the combination wasn’t just given to you, and was encoded into the text of a journal (which you may need a clue from elsewhere to decipher…), that’s another matter altogether.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

There’s also gathering information by trial-and-error. Sometimes you have to try things first to work out what to do or what the correct sequence of actions is, instead of just looking. Amazon: Guardians of Eden or Space Quest comes to mind but this was much more common in text adventures. Sometimes you might have to die to find out what you did wrong.

Total Posts: 87

Joined 2007-07-23

PM

Maybe there needs to be two sets of categories, one for how the information is obtained, and another for how it is used. A lot of inventory “puzzles” seem to boil down to either guessing which object to use where, or figuring it out by trial and error, with no real hint or “logic” to it.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Nice input, Niclas! One of the classic criteria when trying to categorize puzzles is if they’re “self-contained” or not. However, even that’s not fully precise because often you’re having some sort of “middle-ground”, meaning it’s basically a self-contained puzzle, but you still need some action, inventory item, info… in order to start it, or even solve it.

I’ll add also:

Riddle/quiz puzzles - will be familiar to anyone who played Conquests of the Longbow or Nemesis/Awakened. They can be further broken down to:

- Puzzles that demand manual input from player - for example, you need to type the riddle answer manually with your keyboard.
- Puzzles that don’t demand manual input - you can select the answer from the contextual menu.

Also, it can be combination of several approaches, or it can a sequence of actions (making chocolate in Callahan’s Crosstime Saloon). And “lateral thinking” puzzles, or “creative” puzzles can be found either in, let’s say, Monkey Island, or a Myst-clone game.

Here’s one of the many articles on the subject.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Apart from exploration puzzles i think there are other kinds of puzzles also left out on the list, or at least subtypes of the ones mentioned that it might be best to distinguish from the main-type.

Deduction puzzles where you have to make some conclusions on the information you have found in the game. The most obvious example is of course the deduction board in some of the Sherlock Holmes games.

I think this is a very underused kind of puzzle, and i always hate when the game lets the protagonist make all the conclusions instead of letting us players do that for ourselves.

Mini-games technically a form of Isolated puzzle, but sometimes isolated puzzles can simply be in the form of decoding a message, or it can be in the form of an outright mini-game like the hacking in BS4 or the Platypus Bataka or Corner the Submarine in Deponia 2.

The outright mini-games are usually just ridiculous and something that simply doesn’t belong in AG. The ones i mentioned above are some of the best example, and if they were all that good i could live with them, but they aren’t and i can’t.

Mazes a subtype of Exploration puzzles (or perhaps the other way around), but there is a difference between having to explore an area and navigating through an outright maze.

I personally like mazes if they a constructed right.
A perfect example of how not to construct a maze is in Black Mirror 2, where they constantly flip the camera angle 180, so you exit a scene to the right and enter the next scene from the right, making you all disorientated.

Pixel hunting also a kind of puzzle in its own right. You don’t see it much nowadays with hotspot finders etc. but many old games had quite a bit of pixel hunting. And there are still some games like the Sherlock Holmes series that uses hidden objects elements.

Personally i’m not particularly fond of pixel hunting, but i don’t mind a bit here and there.

As for the ones you did mention:

1. Inventory puzzles
I kind of like these, and it is still the most used type of puzzle in AG, but it depends entirely of how they are made.

2. Isolated puzzles
Generally i don’t mind isolated puzzles in the form of decoding messages or similar, but slider puzzles and the likes, i simply hate those. The problem with many isolated puzzles is also that they are usually best solved simply by using brute force.

3. Environment puzzles
This should probably also be divided into subtypes, as there are many different kinds of environment puzzles.

The example you used with opening a safe etc. by finding clues in the environment is also among my favorite.

But the mechanical kind where you have to operate some kind of machinery without an manual, like randomly pulling 7 different levers just to see what they do, and finding the right combination to lower a drawbridge or something similar, I absolutely hate those, they also have the same problem as many isolated puzzles as they can often best be solved by brute force.

4. Dialogue puzzles
My absolute favorite kind of puzzle!
Unfortunately also a grossly underused type of puzzle.

I don’t think your example with Resonance is the best example, even if it did require you to think about what you want to ask, then it has the same general problem as the traditional dialog tree, that what you say doesn’t have any consequences.

Personally i prefer the kind seen in LA Noire or Culpa Innata, where you really have to think about what you want to ask or say, because there is consequences to it.

5. Timed puzzles
No self-respecting adventure gamer can possible enjoy being under time-pressure, part of the reason I/we play AG is because I/we like to take our time thinking instead of just reacting.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Niclas - 01 May 2013 08:54 AM

1. Inventory puzzles

Combine Object A with Object B

Not many games get this right, but I love games that only allow objects getting picked up when they are needed, or when you only can combine object A with B when it makes actually makes sense to do it.

Ok, but let me ask you this - in Toonstruck, somewhere right after the beginning, there’s a certain “puzzle”, or let’s say - a situation, that cannot be solved until later in the game. I’m sure there’s a ton of similar examples. And now - is it an unfair puzzle design?

Why do I ask this? Because, do you think that it’s possible to design a game where EVERY player will KNOW he/she will “need” that object, or that a player will in advance KNOW that he/she needs to combine items? Is it possible to create a puzzle that will make “sense” to EVERY player at the exactly same moment in game?

Similarly, in Toonstruck example, I said “puzzle” and not puzzle because the game doesn’t always tell us - “You’ve just encountered a puzzle - now solve it!”. The gameworld can “breathe” and be flexible, and the puzzle - or “object” might be lying around just for the sake of it, whether you can actually solve it or not, and whether it makes any sense to you or not. The puzzle is sometimes also in NOT knowing that it’s a puzzle.

Also, I see no problem at all at objects lying further from the spot where you’ll actually use them - if you’re going to dig a hole near the end of the game, does it matter if you’ve picked up a shovel in the first act, or at the end? And you can actually carry the shovel for the entire game without using it, but that’s just a design choice and sort of a red-herring, and not the bad puzzle design. Remember “wallet”, or credit cards in many adventures - you’ve got them right at the start, and it can be that for the entire game you don’t have to use it.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

diego - 01 May 2013 01:12 PM

Because, do you think that it’s possible to design a game where EVERY player will KNOW he/she will “need” that object, or that a player will in advance KNOW that he/she needs to combine items? Is it possible to create a puzzle that will make “sense” to EVERY player at the exactly same moment in game?

Similarly, in Toonstruck example, I said “puzzle” and not puzzle because the game doesn’t always tell us - “You’ve just encountered a puzzle - now solve it!”. The gameworld can “breathe” and be flexible, and the puzzle - or “object” might be lying around just for the sake of it, whether you can actually solve it or not, and whether it makes any sense to you or not. The puzzle is sometimes also in NOT knowing that it’s a puzzle.

Also, I see no problem at all at objects lying further from the spot where you’ll actually use them - if you’re going to dig a hole near the end of the game, does it matter if you’ve picked up a shovel in the first act, or at the end? And you can actually carry the shovel for the entire game without using it, but that’s just a design choice and sort of a red-herring, and not the bad puzzle design. Remember “wallet”, or credit cards in many adventures - you’ve got them right at the start, and it can be that for the entire game you don’t have to use it.

Great post—you’re dead on.  One of the things I’ve always disagreed with from that article Ron Gilbert wrote about adventure game design was the idea that the backwards puzzle was necessarily a negative thing.  It’s only really a negative thing if it can lead to dead-end scenarios—and even then, it’s arguable.  You are supposed to use your brains in these games—to think and figure things out on your own or through communication with other players.  The idea that all puzzles (and by extension, their solutions) should be clearly telegraphed for the player is absurd.  It’s the first step towards Telltale’s games-that-play-themselves approach to “game” design.  Some puzzles SHOULD be obtuse, should require complex thought, and should TAKE TIME to unravel.  That’s what makes the “ah ha!” moments so satisfying.  If you don’t like solving puzzles, you shouldn’t be playing adventure games.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

I sort of agree with Niclas on the inventory thing, it is better if you first realize you need to dig a hole, and then go looking for a shovel, then running around with a shovel for half the game waiting for somewhere to dig a hole.

But for all practical purposes it is impossible to ensure this!
Or at least it is impossible without either making a restriction, so you can’t pick up the shovel before your have first tried to dig the hole with your hands, or making the game 100% linear so you are guaranteed to find the hole-digging-place before you find the shovel. Both of which i would hate.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Iznogood - 01 May 2013 01:59 PM

it is better if you first realize you need to dig a hole, and then go looking for a shovel, then running around with a shovel for half the game waiting for somewhere to dig a hole.

But you’re not waiting to dig a hole! Tongue Heck, you may even need a shovel to smack someone up theirs head along the way and not dig the hole at all. Or you may need a shovel for both. And if puzzle design would allow you only to pick up objects once you realize you need them (although, as I said it’s impossible that all players realize the same thing at the same time), then it would narrow the design possibilities too much.

The puzzle is not only knowing which object to use, but could be realizing what to do with the object you’ve already collected. Smile

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top