• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Becky

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Let’s compile a list of all the animated adventure games ever made

Total Posts: 358

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

How about all these games made with AGS:  http://agsarchives.com/games.html

Total Posts: 164

Joined 2007-11-25

PM

AdorableMogwai - 26 April 2013 10:19 PM

Runaway: A Road Adventure (Péndulo Studios, S.L. / July 6th, 2001)
Runaway 2: The Dream of the Turtle (Péndulo Studios, S.L. / November 17th, 2006)
Runaway 3: A Twist of Fate (Péndulo Studios, S.L. / May 18th, 2010)

AdorableMogwai - 27 April 2013 12:36 AM

I think as long as the actual characters and backgrounds are 2d it should be on the list.

According to a review on this site, the Runaway games have 3D characters:
http://www.adventuregamers.com/articles/view/18345

My guess would be that most/all of Péndulo’s games circa 2000+ are made the same way.

Total Posts: 358

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

The Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes series
Conquests of Camelot
Police Quest 1-3
Leisure Suit Larry 1-3, 5-7, Reloaded (2013)

Total Posts: 619

Joined 2012-06-06

PM

The Adventures of Maddog Williams

Bt

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

OFF-Topic but as mentioning animated adventure
@Bt

what do you think/feel when you look at this AGDI’s Upcoming Mage’s Initiation and KQIII Screen… for me its kinda sad , the use of the same background again (with little crafting), and if it shows anything it will be the feeling of AGDI’s lack of creativity.

Joined 2012-06-06

PM

I always saw that Mage’s Screen as an homage to those famous KQ snowy scenes from King’s Quest 5.  Those backgrounds are iconic, not only in my mind, but I bet in the minds of a lot of others who love adventure games.  I don’t think it’s being lazy - honestly, as a game maker and designer myself - the only similarities these screens share is some snowy peaks, and the ground and mountains off in the distance.  It’s also no coincidence, as the same artist (JP Selwood) did both of these.

Bt

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

i cant see if you agree with that or not but i feel you do not mind ,
i see being the same maker is no excuse to use you own art again and again!

its like this:
changing the Lyrics of Nothing else Matters and recompose the solo (for instance)would not be considered an advantage (new ,or good). ... its a disadvantage by all means .

also the 2 versions of Don’t Cry do not make them 2 different songs .

Total Posts: 122

Joined 2013-04-26

PM

I am nearing the character length limit in the original post, so what I am going to do now in order to continue the list is divide it between the original post and my first comment in the thread.

Jannik - 27 April 2013 05:40 AM

According to a review on this site, the Runaway games have 3D characters:
http://www.adventuregamers.com/articles/view/18345

My guess would be that most/all of Péndulo’s games circa 2000+ are made the same way.

I don’t believe it’s “3D” for our purposes as it clearly still retains an animated style. I believe the developers at Pendulo set out to make animated style games and use computers to enhance the animation. There is a difference between games like Runaway: A Twist of Fate (and the new Broken Sword game on Kickstarter from the looks of it) that are aiming for a animated style and use computers to enhance the animation, and games like Vampire Story and The Book of Unwritten Tales that are not trying to have animated characters at all, but instead are going for the Pixar approach and actually intending to have CG characters.

As for AGDI’s remakes, I think your criticism is a little harsh Advie. I think they’re remaking games that are badly in need of remakes and trying to improve on them, and that this is commendable. What I think the King’s Quest games (and a lot of these other pre-1995 games as well) really need are remakes done like Al Lowe is remaking Leisure Suit Larry 1, but AGDI’s remakes are still what I’d call a step up in quality. In regards to Mage’s Initiation, as far as I’m concerned the more new animated adventure games the better and I can’t really complain too much. If we’re to get up in arms about something, what about what TellTale is doing, taking the Sam and Max franchise and converting it to CG? What about the decision to make the last 2 Monkey Island games CG? These are the things that need criticizing, not the efforts of AGDI to bring us more good animated games.

Now some notes on the list, I have decided that, for now, games made for kids like Mixed Up Mother Goose won’t be included. Feel free to keep suggesting them though as I’m still keeping track and if I get enough of them perhaps I’ll make a separate list just for the kids games.

Furthermore mostly text-based games like the Spellcasting 101 series also won’t be included, as the animation is minimal and I feel like these games represent another sub-genre entirely.

Slideshow style games like Myst won’t be included as, again, I feel this is another sub-genre.

However, games with full motion video or FMV characters WILL be included along with claymation games.

Non-commercial fan made games using AGS or otherwise won’t be included unless they are particularly notable. I think the non-commercial remakes of ADGI would be an example of non-commercial games that are notable and do belong on the list.

Thanks everyone for the comments so far, I’ve already found out about many games I didn’t know existed. As the list continues to get bigger it will become more challenging, and I hope you are all up for this challenge as it will test the very limits of your animated adventure game knowledge.

Joined 2013-04-26

PM

diego - 27 April 2013 04:35 AM

I’ll add some obscure ones - Galador: The Prince And The Coward and Orion Burger.

Thanks. Does Galador have an English version? I’ll still add it if it doesn’t, I’ll create a separate list for non-English animated adventures.

Joined 2012-06-06

PM

Advie - 27 April 2013 04:35 PM

i cant see if you agree with that or not but i feel you do not mind ,
i see being the same maker is no excuse to use you own art again and again!

He’s not using the same art each time; they are completely seperate paintings - they just have that similar feel with the snow on the rocks.

its like this:
changing the Lyrics of Nothing else Matters and recompose the solo (for instance)would not be considered an advantage (new ,or good). ... its a disadvantage by all means .

also the 2 versions of Don’t Cry do not make them 2 different songs .

Yeah - well, it’s because, in the instance of Don’t Cry for example, the music IS exactly the same on both tracks.  It’s the same recording, same chord progressions (Am-Dm-G in the verses, F-G-Am in the choruses) - the lyrics have been changed, and the recording of both the Lead Vocal and Harmony vocals have changed - as well, the vocal melody has been slightly altered in certain parts.

The two paintings here are different, yet share similar elements.  A more accurate comparison would be comparing Don’t Cry to Civil War (Both off of Use Your Illusion) - they both have a similar minor chord verse structure that kicks off into a more powerful chorus using major chords - but the stuctures, while having similar elements, are completely different.

That’s what you have here - I mean, yeah, I probably would have gone a different direction in my own art direction of the same scene, but I don’t see anything wrong with their choices here.

Bt

Total Posts: 134

Joined 2013-04-13

PM

i dont really see the similarity between those images either, and as bt stated above, i see those snowy peaks as more of a homage to kq5 mountain pass area.

i also agree that willy beamish was great.  that animation really had something unique to it and the entire game had a different ‘feel’ which was really neat regardless of the sometimes awkward interface.

anyway, did ‘the dig’ make the list up there somewhere?
or what about ‘laura bow 2:the dagger of amon ra’? 

just a few more of my favs that came to mind,
cheers

Joined 2013-04-26

PM

Yes, both The Dagger of Amon Ra and The Dig are already on the list. The list has now been divided between the original post and my first comment in the thread since I ran out of space for it.

Can anyone name any more animated adventure games?

I didn’t play Willy Beamish until 6 months ago, I think my opinion of it was marred somewhat because I was playing it on dosbox and it was buggy.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

syn - 29 April 2013 02:32 AM

i dont really see the similarity between those images either, and as bt stated above, i see those snowy peaks as more of a homage to kq5 mountain pass area.

yeah me too , don’t see a mountain on the top right or Green below , or even Snow that covers the rock the same way and shape .. and hey you mentioned something even more important that those too screens/Art of ADGI’s are originally from KQ5 ... how creative .

lets just give each thing the credits that deserve and take out what is not .. but to look at someone/some-people and say ‘hey they are just small developers trying to add or even bring adventure gaming back on top’!! i am sick of it.
no body is helping the Adventure Gaming but us ,Players and Backers .

Tt sold us the minute they used us and our fav old IPs (example).. and hey they are not coming back .. they may even disfigure the genre with action scenes added to it that might bring down other projects .. and Syn don’t take anything Personally , i just found your post is rather rich for my to reply or what i wanna say .. i had witnessed gamers crying out loud (long time ago)  saying that Lucas and Sierra dont know about adventure gaming look at what the Millers gave us   .. and then ... and then were none Grin

Cheers

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

AdorableMogwai - 29 April 2013 05:45 AM

Can anyone name any more animated adventure games?

Hundreds more. But you’d better make clear why games like Heart of China are there but not the Legend games or Myst, why there are FMV and Pendulo games but not Monkey Island 4, and what on earth “computer-generated” means and why you don’t think them “animated”. It’s hardly worth the effort when the only criterion is whether or not you want the game on the list.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Although I understood OP when speaking of “computer-generated” graphics, as sort of a synonym for rendered and pre-rendered graphics, I agree with Zifnab that the criteria is too loose - as I already said, no way Amazon: Guardians of Eden can be counted as “cartoon”, or “animated” adventure.

The term “animated” is also too loose to begin with - every game features some sort of “animation”. Now, we often spoke of “hand-painted” games when describing titles such as The Curse of Monkey Island, Broken Sword… but the term “hand-painted” is too narrow because you can still make “cartoon” or “animated” games that resemble the style using computer programs or even 3D (The Westerner, Broken Sword 3…).

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top