• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Dalezobraks

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

These casual ‘hidden object’ games…

Total Posts: 134

Joined 2013-04-13

PM

suck.

I cant believe they are so popular. They all have tacky background graphics and look like a retarded offspring of the myst type engine.  I was never a huge myst fan nor a fan of first person perspective in general but I feel these games really are insulting to the adventure genre.

Anyway, I saw some advertisements for some new HOG games which led me to go back and start a replay of Zork Nemesis.  What a game!  So much atmosphere in the music and imagery. I wish these casual games would go away.. anyone else feel the same?

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Well they are not my type of games and i avoid them like the plague.

But if others like them, why should i deprive them of their pleasure?
And why should i want companies to stop making them, if there is a market for it?

I simply don’t understand your reasoning!
It is not like less adventure games is being made because there is also a sub-genre called casual or hidden object games.

Sometimes i wish it was more clearly labeled whether a game is an adventure or casual game, but that is another story.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 347

Joined 2006-07-30

PM

I have been playing adventure games since the original Zork, and I happen to enjoy casual games a great deal.  But, I agree with iznogood that this is all just personal opinion, as there are many popular genres that I personally abhor.

I will disagree with you about one thing, though: the graphical quality of “casual” games.  Of course, there is a wide spectrum in quality since one of these games comes out every day.  However, the graphical quality of the games from top casual developers is often superb, and often much superior to full-fledged contemporary adventure games.  I often find myself wondering why the background art of these casual games is so much better than full-on adventures.  It seems like the situation should be like you said, with these disposable games looking cheap and amateurish.  But it often comes off quite the opposite.  Often times, when I see screenshots for an upcoming adventure game, I wonder why it looks so much worse than a game I can get for $7 at Big Fish. 

The comparison in gameplay, though, is (usually) a different story.

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

syn - 21 April 2013 04:45 PM

These casual ’hidden object’ games…

suck.

Believe it or not, some fans of casual HOGs feel the same way about “true” adventure games. If you go to the BigFish site which is the main repository for casuals, anything without: automatic hints, a list of goals and non-relative movement is very harshly treated by reviewers. Hard to believe, I know.

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Is this another topic about passing judgement on genre of sorts because of a few games?

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Monolith - 21 April 2013 11:31 PM

Is this another topic about passing judgement on genre of sorts because of a few games?

Is this another post by Monolith passing judgment on a member of the forum without adding anything to the topic?

Total Posts: 4254

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Oscar - 22 April 2013 12:03 AM

Monolith passing judgment on a member of the forum without adding anything to the topic?

What’s there to ad (?) - this is just another “I don’t like something, therefore it sucks” topic.

P.S. Yes, I think this topic sucks.
P.P.S. I’m not particularly fond of HOGs, but I don’t think they suck.

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 358

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

zobraks - 22 April 2013 03:47 AM

P.S. Yes, I think this topic sucks.
P.P.S. I’m not particularly fond of HOGs, but I don’t think they suck.

This is a great topic. I appreciate people voicing their opinions about things that suck.

syn - 21 April 2013 04:45 PM

suck.

I cant believe they are so popular. They all have tacky background graphics and look like a retarded offspring of the myst type engine.  I was never a huge myst fan nor a fan of first person perspective in general but I feel these games really are insulting to the adventure genre.

Very well said. I agree. Sometimes I am interested in a game based on the cover art until I see those dreaded words, “hidden object,” which make me recoil in disgust. I’m sure many of us remember our first time playing one of these games, thinking it was going to be a first person adventure, and then discovering it was a cheapey game apparently designed for pre-schoolers or convalescent home residents looking to kill a few minutes before the start of “Matlock.” No offense to anyone out there who plays these games or lives in such a home, by the way.

Zifnab - 21 April 2013 08:09 PM

Believe it or not, some fans of casual HOGs feel the same way about “true” adventure games. If you go to the BigFish site which is the main repository for casuals, anything without: automatic hints, a list of goals and non-relative movement is very harshly treated by reviewers. Hard to believe, I know.

Idiots.

Total Posts: 11

Joined 2006-02-23

PM

Nice to have a place to complain… Recently I have bought, as a bargain, but still, two Art of Murder games - the titles I was unfamiliar with, but simply assumed that these are the two newest titles - and it turned out these are HOG games.
I was disappointed as I do not play them, and the cover graphics and the description (even the same heroine) were identical with adventure versions of the game, extremely misleading (no info on hidden object of course).
Seriously, exploiting the acclaimed titles to this extent… There should be a obligatory warning about hidden object nature of these games… Would not buy them then obviously.

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

zobraks - 22 April 2013 03:47 AM

Monolith passing judgment on a member of the forum without adding anything to the topic?

What’s there to ad (?) - this is just another “I don’t like something, therefore it sucks” topic.

Lots!
“I don’t think it sucks because…”
“I agree: here’s why”
“You’re an idiot”
“I don’t like this topic”

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

I fear for the realization that these folks just like things that suck….

Is this another post by Monolith passing judgment on a member of the forum without adding anything to the topic?

Never knew I was passing judgement on people now, let alone without evidence. When did this happen? I can’t seem to find any evidence proving your statement….unlike my post, yours absolutely didn’t add anything for the fact…it was baseless.

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Total Posts: 245

Joined 2006-05-20

PM

I dont know if its me, but sooo many of the threads over the last month have been “this sucks” or “that sucks”. “Telltale sucks”, “Phoenix Online sucks”, “Jane sucks”, “Hidden Object Games suck”. How about we discuss what we like instead?

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Please keep it friendly, guys. No need to immediately jump on either each other or the thread.

Iznogood - 21 April 2013 05:16 PM

Well they are not my type of games and i avoid them like the plague.

But if others like them, why should i deprive them of their pleasure?
And why should i want companies to stop making them, if there is a market for it?

It is not like less adventure games is being made because there is also a sub-genre called casual or hidden object games.

^ This. Totally.

Sometimes i wish it was more clearly labeled whether a game is an adventure or casual game, but that is another story.

I agree. Whenever I see a game in retail that looks like an adventure game, but that I don’t know, alarm bells go off. When “hidden objects” is one of the first things I read on the back of the box, I immediately put that thing back where it came from…

Edit:

Siddhi - 22 April 2013 01:21 PM

I dont know if its me, but sooo many of the threads over the last month have been “this sucks” or “that sucks”. “Telltale sucks”, “Phoenix Online sucks”, “Jane sucks”, “Hidden Object Games suck”. How about we discuss what we like instead?

Amen.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

My only experience with the genre is Tiny Bang Story, it looks and sounds amazing but I never did finish it because ultimately I was bored…

Total Posts: 245

Joined 2006-05-20

PM

Well the Drawn series was pretty good, and I also enjoyed the Women’s Mystery Club series.

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Siddhi - 22 April 2013 01:21 PM

What’s the difference? There’s just as little or as much to discuss, and hope we don’t go into for this “be positive” theme where posting anything negative is taboo and results in a banning.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top