• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissieJdawg445KeybordzSpeedBozobraks

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

New Adventure Game Kickstarter - A Small Favor

Total Posts: 358

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

New, fun-looking sci-fi adventure game with very modest funding goal. Only $6 right now to get game.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/clickshake/a-small-favor-2d-side-scrolling-adventure-game

The video and overall campaign look very well run and professional. Won’t you do a small favor for “A Small Favor” and back them?

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

That Castro guy looks extremely creepy.

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Kasper F. Nielsen - 17 April 2013 11:20 AM

That Castro guy looks extremely creepy.

No he doesn’t. He is a good looking guy. What an unnecessary and nasty thing to say. Why don’t you post your own picture, Kasper.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

This was a news item on the main site just two days ago…
Looks pretty good, imo.

Quest1 - 17 April 2013 11:27 AM

No he doesn’t. He is a good looking guy. What an unnecessary and nasty thing to say. Why don’t you post your own picture, Kasper.

You don’t jest very well, do you?

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

If it’s a joke and he knows the guy, then I apologize. But if it was meant to be an insult, then I don’t think it’s funny at all.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

What i like most about this project is:

EXPLORATION
We want to give the player the chance to really explore the environment they inhabit. That means letting them go where they wish, entering people’s homes, discovering secret areas and stories that lurk just below the surface. The main quest will be linear but we hope to provide enough side quests that the world will begin to feel open and real. We want our world to go beyond static backdrops and feel like a real community with many stories to tell.

There simply isn’t enough AG that allows free exploration, and i can’t think of a single AG that uses the idea of side-quests, at least not to the same extend that these guys are planning.

This is exactly the direction in which I would like to see AG evolve, and not the exact opposite direction that some other developers are taking!

My only small concern is that voice acting seems to be a stretch goal, but i’m definitely going to back this one. If for no other reason, simply because of the above quote.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

Only $6,000??  Is it being made by just one guy?

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Lambonius - 17 April 2013 01:21 PM

$30,000 goal, and it is two guys.

What Quest1 meant by:

Quest1 - 17 April 2013 08:13 AM

Only $6 right now to get game.

Is that 6$ is the minimum pre-order early bird pledge.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

Iznogood - 17 April 2013 01:25 PM
Lambonius - 17 April 2013 01:21 PM

$30,000 goal, and it is two guys.

What Quest1 meant by:

Quest1 - 17 April 2013 08:13 AM

Only $6 right now to get game.

Is that 6$ is the minimum pre-order early bird pledge.

Oh, haha…yes, I clearly misread that.  Nevermind!  Smile

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I really think that networking among indie adventure game developers is one important key to Kickstarter success. A successful Kickstarter campaign project manager can endorse or promote other Kickstarter campaigns in their update emails. The emails would be going to people who have already shown willingness to pledge for similar games. Also, I think it benefits smaller, indie developers to make themselves accessible, at least occasionally, on forums like these and in the comments on Kickstarter. You can build up a lot of good will by backing and promoting other people’s projects before launching your own. Not that I am in any way well-connected (I’m not), but I had never heard of these “Small Favor” creators before, though apparently many of you had. They seem to be finding support, which is good, but I wonder if they could have already been further toward their goal if they had been building relationships and participated more in adventure game online communities, if even just occasionally. If many in the fervent base of adventure game support hadn’t heard of you, it can’t be a good thing.  Now, maybe they have been doing this and I just never noticed.

Total Posts: 7

Joined 2013-02-13

PM

Thanks for the love, Quest1 and Iznogood.  I think there’s a great opportunity for adventure/platformer mixes and I’m personally really happy with the formula we came up with for A Small Favor.  We really liked The Cave, but I would have liked the platforming to be a lot tighter, and for the story to be more cohesive all the way through, rather than random mini-stories stitched together.  I also feel that Oddworld controls could be tighter too and then I would have liked that one better as well. 

In ASF, we’re not doing jumping because we don’t want any twitch mechanics, so it’s not a platformer, but the climbing and scrolling really opens up the world for exploration.  IMO, it wasn’t necessarily great fun jumping up steps in The Cave, I’d rather just walk up a slope and get to the next area.  I liked the exploration but jumping really wasn’t an important part of that for me.  I also would have liked more off-the-beaten-path side quests and secret hunting, so I hope we strike the right balance in ASF.

So what was creepy, my pic or my video?  As to the latter, it was challenging jumping from programming to recording a video, so I may not have come off as naturally as I’d like.  If we had more time to do more takes and have someone else recording/directing me I think I could have been more relaxed and natural.  Hopefully the passion for game development and vision for ASF came through though. Smile

Also, I do agree we need to get more involved on these forums, especially since adventure games is almost all we’ve done for many years now.  Did you know we made an adventure game for Comedy Central’s Ugly Americans premiere?

Please support our adventure game Kickstarter, A Small Favor. A 2D, side-scrolling sci-fi adventure game for PC and MAC with focus on story, exploration and puzzle solving… with a laser gun!
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/clickshake/a-small-favor-2d-side-scrolling-adventure-game

Total Posts: 10

Joined 2008-12-01

PM

Thanks for the interest everyone!

@Quest1 - Ultimately you are right. We are known within the free gaming communities, but when it comes to the real adventure forums we haven’t really been that active. I’ve posted a few times on here but I’m usually chained to my desk trying to create another new adventure. Hopefully its not too late and we can overcome it!

@Iznogood - I’m happy to hear you’re excited by the exploration aspect. Ever since I played “Below the Root” on the commodore 64 30 years ago I’ve been craving that exploration experience in adventure games. I’m excited to deliver on that. I wish we could promise Voice Acting, we did it in our last game and I know how much extra time it would take to implement. Unfortunately with our funding goal and tight schedule I know that voice acting would put the squeeze on the whole production. That being said, maybe if we hit our goal we can do another mini kickstarter at the end our game production to buy us some time to do full voice acting, I know personally I’d really like to have it too.

Total Posts: 10

Joined 2008-12-01

PM

“I’ve posted on here a few times” - I look over and see my post count of 2. haha

I swear I posted more than just once on here. Oh well, maybe I dreamt it.

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

Steve@ClickShake - 25 April 2013 11:58 AM

So what was creepy, my pic or my video?  As to the latter, it was challenging jumping from programming to recording a video, so I may not have come off as naturally as I’d like.  If we had more time to do more takes and have someone else recording/directing me I think I could have been more relaxed and natural.  Hopefully the passion for game development and vision for ASF came through though. Smile

It wasn’t detrimental to the pitch or anything, I just thought it was amusing you had a sort of serial killer stare in the video. All in all you guys did pretty good at getting your message out Smile

zeebarf - 25 April 2013 12:05 PM

“I’ve posted on here a few times” - I look over and see my post count of 2. haha

I swear I posted more than just once on here. Oh well, maybe I dreamt it.

We changed our forum software back in 2012, so while all the accounts remain the library of posts (and in turn the postcount) got wiped.

On your old account you had a total of eight posts: http://archive.adventuregamers.com/forums/member.php?u=14177

Total Posts: 7

Joined 2013-02-13

PM

Kasper F. Nielsen - 25 April 2013 12:09 PM

I just thought it was amusing you had a sort of serial killer stare in the video. All in all you guys did pretty good at getting your message out Smile

Haha, ok.  Ya that definitely would have been different if there was a camera man, b/c I was literally just staring into a camera in a room by myself, trying to act like I was talking to people.  Jay’s much better in front of the camera than me, considering he used to be an actor.

Please support our adventure game Kickstarter, A Small Favor. A 2D, side-scrolling sci-fi adventure game for PC and MAC with focus on story, exploration and puzzle solving… with a laser gun!

Total Posts: 48

Joined 2012-11-12

PM

Iznogood - 17 April 2013 01:05 PM

What i like most about this project is:

EXPLORATION
We want to give the player the chance to really explore the environment they inhabit. That means letting them go where they wish, entering people’s homes, discovering secret areas and stories that lurk just below the surface. The main quest will be linear but we hope to provide enough side quests that the world will begin to feel open and real. We want our world to go beyond static backdrops and feel like a real community with many stories to tell.

There simply isn’t enough AG that allows free exploration, and i can’t think of a single AG that uses the idea of side-quests, at least not to the same extend that these guys are planning.

This is exactly the direction in which I would like to see AG evolve, and not the exact opposite direction that some other developers are taking!

Seconded. Absolutely seconded. For me the best unique thing about adventure games is that I can explore a new environment the way I would in real life, not by killing things, but just by talking and exploring. My all time best moment in an adventure game was near the start of Monkey Island 1 where I had this whole town, this whole island, to explore and it felt like anything could happen

That’s why I wasn’t fond of a lot of recent adventure games. Even something like Syberia, because I just felt I could only go where the game wanted me to.

I am now intruiged

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top