• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diegoIronCretinJdawg445Lady KestrelTimovieManwalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Is it worth it playing an ancient adventure game? Any tricks?

Total Posts: 100

Joined 2009-02-07

PM

I’ve been thinking that while I know the ancient King’s Quest/Space Quest etc. games are good for the time, they might irritate me since I had played 2-3 of them in full back in the day and they had no voiceover and they were also multiple times harder to be played.

So, while now I had nothing to play I was considering those (it’s about at least, 4-5 of those old games that I could play).

But no voice over? And with their tedious difficulty?

Is there any chance? Perhaps with extra music or something? I dunno..

Total Posts: 619

Joined 2012-06-06

PM

Probably not.  I think you may just have to accept the fact that you’re an inferior gamer, go cry into your pillow for a few hours, and then resume your life the way it was.

Always be proud of who you are, no matter how wanting.

Bt

Total Posts: 100

Joined 2009-02-07

PM

Blackthorne - 13 April 2013 09:31 AM

Probably not.  I think you may just have to accept the fact that you’re an inferior gamer, go cry into your pillow for a few hours, and then resume your life the way it was.

Bt

4chan is leaking?  Pan  Heart Eyes

Total Posts: 54

Joined 2008-04-03

PM

My own advice is: Don’t think so much about history. Play or play not. Then do something else.

www.hardydev.com - blogging about indie and underground adventures

Total Posts: 619

Joined 2012-06-06

PM

thinker - 13 April 2013 09:37 AM
Blackthorne - 13 April 2013 09:31 AM

Bt

4chan is leaking?  Pan  Heart Eyes

Hahah, nah, I’m just teasing you.  It’s like Ascovel said - either play it or don’t.  It’s totally up to you.  Some people love the old games, and some don’t.  In the end, it’s about your enjoyment and the decision is all yours.

Bt

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

You can’t force yourself to like a game. Give them a spin, but if you don’t like them you don’t, and that should be enough.

It’s the same deal with old b-movies, where you can see the rubber suits and strings attatched to the space ships. Some people like it and find them charming, other people just get turned off by it.

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

King’s Quest 1 has a remake with improved graphics and narrator speech: http://www.agdinteractive.com/games/kq1/download/download.html

I don’t think Space Quest has one yet.

Total Posts: 78

Joined 2005-12-09

PM

Zifnab - 13 April 2013 11:06 AM

King’s Quest 1 has a remake with improved graphics and narrator speech: http://www.agdinteractive.com/games/kq1/download/download.html

I don’t think Space Quest has one yet.

Actually, Space Quest’s had one for a couple of decades: http://www.mobygames.com/game/space-quest-i-roger-wilco-in-the-sarien-encounter

No talkie version though.

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

Space Quest II has a fantastic remake with improved graphics, music, and full voice acting.  Released last year by the fine folks at Infamous Adventures, it’s a great follow-up to the official Sierra remake of Space Quest 1.  In my opinion, and in the opinion of many reviewers, it was the only fan-made Sierra remake to perfectly capture the tone and humor of the original series.  Those guys at Infamous Adventures are truly kings among men.

You can download it for free here:

http://www.infamous-adventures.com

Total Posts: 134

Joined 2013-04-13

PM

its definitely worth it i’d say, if u can manage to get into them.  personally when i go back to my favorite abandonware dos adventures (and other old games) i just end up going back to the games i already know and loved.  when its so tough that you have to constantly consult a walkthrough it really ruins the experience.

anyway, the listed sq2 remake is GREAT!!! definitely try that out if you ever had any love for the old space quest series to any degree. can’t wait for infamous adventures coming quest for infamy!!  theres also been some other great remakes in recent years… the monkey island series got it’s first two games revamped and modernized called Monkey Island Special Edition. also highly recommended. adg’s remake of quest for glory 2 was really nice as well.. as well as their kings quest remakes.

oh yeah and an update/upgrade of leisure suit larry 1 is coming really soon too Grin

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Personally, the lack of voice-overs, up-to-date graphics, etc. doesn’t bother me at all. I’ll happily (re)play any of the old classics.
I HAVE developed an aversion to text parsers over time, though, so I’ll happily (re)play any of the old classics as long as they’re point-and-click with little to no typing involved.

The point I’m trying to make here is: you need to figure out what works for you personally, and what doesn’t.
If you fear the old graphics, a lot of games have gotten remakes over the years (most of them have already been linked to here). If you want voice-overs, check which remakes have them, or just check the not-that-old classics instead.
It’s all going to be a personal experience for you, so take the recommendations that you feel fit your playing style best…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Personally i like to play old games that i for one reason or another didn’t play when they were originally published.

But like Tim they have to be point and click, games were you have to type in a lot of things is a deal breaker for me, and unlike Tim i also really prefer that they are voiced, so there is a limit to how old the games i will play must be.

Personally i wouldn’t play or replay the first Kings Quest, but a game like King’s Quest VI: Heir Today, Gone Tomorrow, i would recommend that without any reservations.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 7

Joined 2017-02-08

PM

The standard of old games is in general higher than they are now. If you choose a game at random from 1986 it will be, on balance of probabilities, better than a game from 2016.

Nihon no adobenchāgēmu wa saikō no adobenchāgēmudesu

Total Posts: 359

Joined 2012-02-16

PM

red - 08 February 2017 10:05 PM

The standard of old games is in general higher than they are now. If you choose a game at random from 1986 it will be, on balance of probabilities, better than a game from 2016.

Did you just revive not one but two four-year-old threads? Take it easy. One can take only so much necromancy per day.

Also, your statement is glaringly false. Had you said 1996, you might have had a leg to stand on. As it is now, you are absurdly wrong.

Total Posts: 7

Joined 2017-02-08

PM

TerminusEst - 08 February 2017 10:17 PM

Did you just revive not one but two four-year-old threads? Take it easy. One can take only so much necromancy per day.

Also, your statement is glaringly false. Had you said 1996, you might have had a leg to stand on. As it is now, you are absurdly wrong.

Oh realy? Let s see, take a 1986 game Trinity and compare with 2016 Revenge of Jonny Bonasera. Trinity wins by miles. Who is absurdly wrong now?

Nihon no adobenchāgēmu wa saikō no adobenchāgēmudesu

Total Posts: 359

Joined 2012-02-16

PM

Haha, it’s still you. Did you pick Trinity and that other thing at random? But I see what’s going on here and I will keep quiet.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top