• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

IronCretinJdawg445Lady KestrelTimovieManwalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day — Tuesday 9 April 2013

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

When it comes to Broken Sword 3, it’s easy to remember only the box puzzles (and that ridiculous scene where you’re supposed to get all teary-eyed because some guy you have no reason to care about decides to sacrifice himself), but there was also plenty of good stuff, and a real Indiana Jones vibe. Also, it looked a bajillion times better than BS4, which is kinda sad.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Never got around to playing BS3. I have the game (bought it at a sale when it was still relatively new), but I never got it to work. All I got was a black screen on startup, and that black screen crashed every time. Same thing when I bought a new PC a few years later.

Will try a little harder to get it to work when it comes up on my list of games to play, though…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

I like BS3 in despite of all it’s crate pushing flaws!

Some well written and funny characters and some nice throwbacks to the first game. In a way it’s kind of like Back to the Future 2 in that it is trading heavily off good memories of the first one but still ends up being enjoyable even if it cannot live up to the incredibly high standards of the original. Marty McStobbart, Dr Emmett Collard and Biff Lobineau are worth watching anyway!

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Total Posts: 532

Joined 2009-06-07

PM

BS3 is the best BS game hands down imo! It’s got a fantastic story, wonderful dialogue. Some really great chracters (and Kuru that sacrifice scene almost brought tears to my eyes so you’re dead wrong there) a couple of awesome, original puzzles (the omega temple comes to mind) and to top it al off a truly epic score. And hey you can bitch about 3D all you like but it looks pretty darn good in this game. The only thing about BS3 I don’t like is the very clucky interface and the timed sequences which were often timed to tightly. But otherwise I’d say this is a timeless gem. Shame so very few people share this sentiment.

Total Posts: 783

Joined 2010-10-26

PM

Broken sword!!! Heart  Heart  Heart

Am I the only one who actually liked pushing crates ? and I even liked the last crates puzzle! Crazy (which even I didn’t expect!) The crates you push so that George can climb on at Glastonbury.
I do like BS 3, not as much as the charming 2d ones, but definitely worth playing!

I really enjoyed Nico’s “acting” as seen by George at the theater when they meet again, the mean-side of Nico dressed as Petra, the fact that the grand master was actually alive added a twist to the story, the funny-usual argue between George and Andre, the ending with Nico by the tree making fun of George,
and so on…

And speaking of Petra’s loose ends Grin , there are some things that I haven’t sorted out yet:
I’m still wondering if Petra pulled the sword from the water. Is she really dead?
Petra said at the beggining she knows Nico. But from where?
Any theories?

About Bruno - Yeah, a bit teary-eyed, but George does know the guy from way back at the hotel Ubu since BS1.

About BS4 -I still can’t quite see it as part of the series.I consider it a game with a few good bits, but doesn’t fell like Broken sword and I sometimes wanted to punch Anna Maria)

I’m curently doing a research on the Spanish Civil War .I’m finding out what I can in advance, because I know it’s related to the BS 5 plot. Crazy

I am baaaaaaaack!

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

kate me - 09 April 2013 01:03 PM

Am I the only one who actually liked pushing crates ?

To quote Diego:

diego - 29 August 2012 08:17 PM

George: Charles, you’re the best: You’ve actually listened to fans and removed the crate puzzles! Say, what’s that behind you?
Charles: Uhh… that’s nothing.  Don’t pay attention to it.

Pushing crates was fun the first 7 times or so, but it was really overused to the point where i would start yelling at the game every time i saw a new crate

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

My dog when I was a kid was named Petra.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 460

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

I really don’t remember much about BS3 (nor BS4, but maybe that’s for the better).  Quite looking forward to playing through the entire series again before BS5’s release.

Now Playing: Final Fantasy VII Rebirth, Baldur’s Gate 3, Alan Wake Remastered, Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
Recently Completed: Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney Trilogy, Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth, Silent Hill: The Short Message, Under the Waves, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III, Control: Ultimate Edition
Anticipating: Beyond Good and Evil 2
Backing: Asylum

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Iznogood - 09 April 2013 03:00 PM

Pushing crates was fun the first 7 times or so, but it was really overused to the point where i would start yelling at the game every time i saw a new crate

I agree, although I’d still say it didn’t take that much away from the game enjoyment when I’ve played it (but perhaps that’s because I didn’t finish it, and the most boring crate puzzles were still to come Grin). Isn’t it the same with Broken Sword 4? - that one of the biggest flaw is the repeating hacking mini-game?

Dale - 09 April 2013 03:49 PM

Quite looking forward to playing through the entire series again before BS5’s release.

Just make sure you play the originals and NOT the so-called “Director’s cut” remakes - they’ve simplified the game, meaning they removed a good share of hot-spots from locations and made some puzzles easier.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

diego - 09 April 2013 04:36 PM

Just make sure you play the originals and NOT the so-called “Director’s cut” remakes - they’ve simplified the game, meaning they removed a good share of hot-spots from locations and made some puzzles easier.

Seriously???
Good thing I’ve got the originals, then…

Facepalm indeed…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I really enjoyed Broken Sword 3 - loved the better graphics & the story but I couldn’t help thinking that it didn’t quite have the same ‘magic’ as the 1st 2 games!

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

I’m surprised BS3 seems to have gained popularity in the last few years - at least people still don’t seem to care for the fourth game, which is god awful. Personally I don’t like 3 very much, but the story is okay, just boggled down by garbage design which ruins the game.

Total Posts: 460

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

Dale - 09 April 2013 03:49 PM

Quite looking forward to playing through the entire series again before BS5’s release.

No worries there, I don’t like the portraits they added to those versions.

Now Playing: Final Fantasy VII Rebirth, Baldur’s Gate 3, Alan Wake Remastered, Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
Recently Completed: Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney Trilogy, Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth, Silent Hill: The Short Message, Under the Waves, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III, Control: Ultimate Edition
Anticipating: Beyond Good and Evil 2
Backing: Asylum

Total Posts: 198

Joined 2012-08-03

PM

I actually liked BS3, except the obvious mentioned crate puzzles, and the clunky control. Good puzzles, interesting story, cool environments, and good voice acting. I actually just recently did a replay of BS3, 4 months ago, and I must say it is still holding it’s ground as a solid adventure game.

Anticipating:The Devil’s Men

Recently played:GK1 Remake (4), A Golden Wake (3), Child of Light (4) Memento Mori 2 (4) Face Noir (3.5) Tex Murphy: Tesla Effect (4) Blackwell Epiphany (4.5),Broken Sword 5(4.5), The Shivah Remake (4.5), Monkey Island 2 Remake (4.5)

Top 10 Adventure Games:Tex Murphy: Pandora Directive, Gabriel Knight:The Beast Within, Broken Sword:Shadow of the Templars, Gabriel Knight:Sins of the Fathers, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Tex Murphy: Under a Killing Moon, Lost Horizon, Grim Fandago, The Longest Journey, Blackwell Epiphany

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

TimovieMan - 09 April 2013 04:43 PM

Seriously???
Good thing I’ve got the originals, then…

Facepalm indeed…

Yes, they simplified some puzzles, but they also added new content. Hazel Ellerby returned to do additional voices as Nicole for new segments where you also control Nicole. Dave Gibbons even did new artwork for it. The Director cut begins one day before the opening scene in the original version. You may wanna give the directors cut a miss, but you’ll be missing out.

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Well I for one liked the crate puzzles and I don’t know if the very simplified and unimaginative term “crate puzzle” does the game justice. They were much more than that. First of all there were different kinds of crates, not just the traditional white timber variety. There were brown crates, grey crates, black crates, even a delightful red ochre color of crate. And not just wooden crates - stone and cardboard top off the list of cubical materials that you could push around. The puzzles were creative too and not just of one kind. Sometimes you had to climb on top of a crate to reach a ledge by moving it into the right place, and other times you needed to create a passage through the crates by pushing them out of the way. Even when not involved in a puzzle the sheer presence of the crate helped and comforted you throughout your journey by their everpresent crate-iness. 

Personally I think anyone who doesn’t like BS3 and BS4 because of the so called “crate-puzzles” is out of their mind, but each to their own.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top