• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

SpeedBowalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

R.I.P. LucasArts

Total Posts: 95

Joined 2010-11-01

PM

Disney have gone and shut down LucasArts. Cry

Now I know this means very little for the AG community in the year 2013 but they developed or published many classic games so it makes me a little sad. Monkey Island, Indiana Jones, Grim Fandango, Day of the Tentacle, Loom, The Dig… and many great Star Wars games like Knights of the Old Republic.

Disney Shuts Down LucasArts

Disney has laid off the staff of LucasArts and cancelled all current projects.

Staff were involved of the shutdown this morning, according to a reliable Kotaku source. Some 150 people were laid off, and both of the studio’s current projects—Star Wars: First Assault and Star Wars 1313—were cancelled.

This comes after weeks and months of rumors involving the studio, which was acquired by Disney last fall.

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Nothing changes, at least for us adventure gamers. Perhaps it’ll be easier for other companies to acquire licenses now.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 619

Joined 2012-06-06

PM

Yeah.  The LucasArts we loved died with a whimper years ago as Star Wars games took it over.

Bt

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

Fans of Star Wars and Indiana Jones should be celebrating in the streets at this news.

What it means is that they’re finally going to license out these properties to developers with actual talent.  This is a glorious day.

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Even though Star Wars 1313 was going to be the savor. Everyone I knew was impressed and was looking forward to it.

The only reason the company died was because of the overpaid senior execs. Typical old school business model destroying our hopes and dreams.

What does this say for Battlefront 3 or any new AAA Indy games?

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Total Posts: 34

Joined 2004-02-17

PM

RIP LFL

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

Monolith - 03 April 2013 02:14 PM

any new AAA Indy games?

I’d say this is our best chance at getting an actual GOOD new Indy game, frankly.  Staff of Kings was utter shit, and that was internally developed by Lucasarts.

Lucasarts was basically a classic example of how NOT to run a video game production business.  Disney is no slouch; they’ll license out the properties and allow other developers to finally let them realize their potential.  I’m sure we’ll also get the typical crappy movie tie-ins, but Lucasarts did those too.

Total Posts: 78

Joined 2005-12-09

PM

They were irrelevant for the better part of last decade. I want to say good riddance, but I do feel bad for the people who’ve lost their jobs.

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

All my best goes to those who lost they’re jobs. I’m sure they’ll land on their feet soon.

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Total Posts: 70

Joined 2012-04-11

PM

Probably a smart move from Disney. I mean this isn’t adventure game Lucasarts it’s a studio that’s been collapsing slowly for a decade and could barely turn a profit (if at all) with one of the most successful franchises in entertainment. Hope the people who lost their jobs have somewhere to go, after all they probably knew it was coming. Now hoping Disney doesn’t sleep on the AG franchises they own and license them to other developers, wouldn’t hold my breath though - non-Star Wars adventure game franchises probably don’t register at all at Disney.

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

LucasArts has proven themselves the be an utterly valueless barrier between gamers and Lucas IPs. Their management has been so retarded for so long.

Of course Disney doesn’t give two shits about any of these IPs, either, but they might be more amenable to selling or licensing them at least. LucasArts had a policy that they wouldn’t sell any IP, but Disney has no such policy.

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

I see this in conflicting ways.

I’m sad that the studio no longer exists even if it’s not the old games that we know and love, sad that there will be no Star Wars 1313 which was looking good and sad that there won’t be another Force Unleashed game etc.

However depending on how liberal Disney is going to be with the licences then this could actually be good in the long run. Star Wars games made by Bioware or Irrational Games or even someone could get the licence to some of the old adventure games and do more HD remakes.

We will have to wait and see.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

It’s true they haven’t been making many worthwhile games in the last decade (Kinect Star Wars…) but it’s sad to see a company that gave us so many classics in the nineties disappear.

Now put all those classics on Gog.com (or other service) Disney.

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

Frogacuda - 03 April 2013 03:29 PM

Of course Disney doesn’t give two shits about any of these IPs, either, but they might be more amenable to selling or licensing them at least. LucasArts had a policy that they wouldn’t sell any IP, but Disney has no such policy.

Disney… selling an IP? You must be crazy! The House of Mouse is all about owning everything and anything. You never know when an old IP might become worth something again.

Now licensing out stuff, that’s a whole other ordeal - however unlikely I hope some of the classic franchises might get another go-around.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

It is sad to see LucasArt go, as they gave us so many good games in the past.

But i don’t think that it will make much of a difference for us AG.
Disney is properly only interested in Indy and Star Wars, so they might be willing to let some of the other IP go, or license it for a cheap price, but i can’t really see anyone making a new Monkey Island or a remake of the Dig, and Disney is certainly not going to make these themselves.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

Lucasarts had an incredible run during the 80s and 90s with every game they released being a winner by leaps and bounds over the competition. Alas, they were useless in the 21st century and this is triggering my schadenfreude.

So happy that Steve Purcell has the rights to Sam n’ Max, but almost everything else - Monkey Island, Maniac Mansion and Full Throttle. They dead.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top