• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

kanaifu

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Thinking about the puzzle solution while NOT PLAYING the game?

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Ok, this is something that has been going through my head lately - where you’re trying to think or even SOLVE a puzzle in your mind while you’re actually not playing the game - whether it’s while you’re riding on a bus, or just before you’re about to sleep. Once I thought about it - there’re many games, or parts of those games that let you do this, but some don’t.

I think we can all agree that it needs to be a damn good, addictive and interesting game with a good story in order to make you think about it once you put it to hold, whether you’re thinking about some plot elements or puzzles. But now - the issue I wanted to talk about the most - don’t you think that, in order for you to think about the puzzle solution while off from a game (and possibly, solving it), it requires a pretty good game and puzzle design in order for this to work?

I’ll try to explain - the game needs to act like a detective novel, TV-show… where you’re PRESENTED with all the necessary clues in order to solve the mystery! So, pulling out the hidden character for the first time as a culprit right before the end won’t work, because no way you could have solved that mystery because you didn’t know that character existed at all! But now, the adventure game needs to implement this logic in many small steps during the course of the game, in such way that you have all the necessary clues that you can even exit the game, and think about the solution for a particular puzzle. Of course, it’s not always possible because exploration is a major factor and it could be simply that you haven’t reached some dialog, object… in order for you to solve a puzzle. But at least, when cleverly designed it can work within a single or set of closely related locations, within a chapter…

I’m playing The Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav, and some parts of the game let you do this, and some don’t, because the solution is simply to find a hot-spot or talk to a character. However, once you’ve completely explored the current area in some instances, like a town with the dock and ship, and talked to all the characters, you can actually exit, or just pause the game and THINK about how, for example, to steal the prism. I think it’s a special quality of any game, because it’s not really about you solving the puzzle while not playing the game, but about the game’s ability to present all the necessary clues, in such way that you can just stop for a second and think logically about the solution. But the most important thing - the game needs you to convince and hint in some way or another to you that you’ve gathered all the necessary clues, practically saying to you: “Think about it, dummy!”. I’m sure there’re many classics which succeeded at that, and I’m sure one of the reasons we think they’re so good is exactly that.

So, did you ever solve a puzzle while stopping and thinking logically for a second, or even while completely off from a game? And which game do you think did best in that regard?

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

the most important thing - the game needs you to convince and hint in some way or another to you that you’ve gathered all the necessary clues, practically saying to you: “Think about it, dummy!”. I’m sure there’re many classics which succeeded at that, and I’m sure one of the reasons we think they’re so good is exactly that.

I Think it all about the design of a Puzzle.
if the Designers want me to find the solution they decide the probabilities of an adventure game player mind and either make it complicated or not

for example Inventory Items would look very compatible with the surrounding
i would to explain this better with examples for the lack of vocabulary here:-
a key and a door =  for dummies
a key and door and something sharp = for dummies Smile
a key and door and something sharp but doesn’t help = hmm ...could be smart
lets search another location )

a key and door and something sharp that never helps and with a way or another you get to forget about that door= sound very smart lets go another location and do something entirely different and maybe we would open that door sooner or later = now we are talking

but even that last example would be ruined if the hero would say something (nasty) like i need to find an expert in picklocking .. if you lately played Last chronicles of Zerzura well get what i mean

but in the same time of course it not all about inventory and items there are other ways the designer and even makes thing hard or easy ifs like the object on one screen (hotspots)or if there are something clickable you use/look at and its eliminated from the the screen (become unusable) or he can leave it there to recheck it again

but lets get back yo your question diego Grin

did you ever solve a puzzle while stopping and thinking logically for a second…..?

yes in gold/good ol’ days , remember the DOME at start of(Riven) .. five openings , two doors and a dynamic Floor.

Total Posts: 415

Joined 2007-12-29

PM

before the age of walkthroughs (or before I had internet) when playing GK2 I would dream about how to solve a puzzle, and couldn’t wait until it was morning that I could start playing the game again and seeing if my solution worked.  Also, with Simon the Sorcerer 1 I would be thinking of possible things to try just while doing housework and then I would talk to the kids about what I thought, as we were all trying to play the game at the same time. We had so much fun playing that game and talking about possible solutions. ah, the good old days.

Total Posts: 298

Joined 2004-08-15

PM

I think this is the odd thing about adventure games. They require the player to stop playing to allow the mind to unconsciously work out possible puzzle solutions. Every time now and then when you hit a roadblock in an adventure game and your mind experiences thinking fatigue, you have to quit to let your mind process the gathered information. What else is there to do in an adventure game until you hit on the solution? You can pretty much only go around the environments in circles and examine everything again and click every inventory item on another.

Which makes me wonder if adventure games are really a good narrative medium then, since they forcefully halt narrative progress by throwing puzzles in the way, and unless you figure out how to overcome a certain obstacle, there’s no way further. To overcome the obstacle either requires thinking time, joyless trial and error or looking up the solution. Sometimes you just think too narrowly, inside a tiny little box instead of outside the box. In those cases you need to distance yourself from the game for a while to get a fresh perspective on things, which then finally may allow you to solve a puzzle.

What other way forward in the narrative is there then if you can’t figure out how to solve the puzzle right there and then? If you cheat and look up the solution when stuck, or pre-emptively keep a walkthrough handy by your side in case of cluelessness, then you might progress through the story at a reasonable pace, but get rid of the joy of solving the puzzles in one fell swoop and might feel bad afterwards that you ruined the challenge for yourself. Sometimes the story is so interesting and captivating that you just want to progress by all means, and that may necessitate cheating.
On the other hand, if you solve the puzzles without any help, by taking the time to think about them, possibly off-game, then you may experience the joy of puzzle solving (if the puzzles are well designed, that is), but then the story will progress at an erratic pace, with lots of long stretches of absolutely nothing happening in between, with you cycling through the same environments and the player character robotically repeating the same lines over and over again.
Either way you lose the challenge or the right pace of the story.

Which is probably the reason why I prefer my adventure games to be light on story, but rich in character, environmental details and commentary. Like Deponia, basically.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

diego - 29 March 2013 08:43 AM

So, did you ever solve a puzzle while stopping and thinking logically for a second, or even while completely off from a game? And which game do you think did best in that regard?

Oh yes, sometimes only after a small pause, but often in bed just before i go to sleep.
For me there is nothing unusual in this, quite often when driving back from work i get an idea or a solution to a problem i have been working on for several hours with no success.

I am however not sure that i agree that it comes down to the puzzle design, at least not to the extent you do. Even if you are just stuck because you haven’t talked to someone or found some object, then you might not realize this, you might be convinced you have everything you need and just can’t figure out how to use it, and then after a pause it hits you, perhaps i need to find some other unknown object, or hey i haven’t talked to x about this subject.

But there are some kind of puzzles that i believe makes this impossible, and that is if you are in a very small place, perhaps trapped in a cage or something, where your options are very limited, and of course puzzles as mini games. In order for an epiphany to hit you when least expected, there has to be a high complexity to the puzzle, meaning that there has to be a large number of things you can try, otherwise you can just try all the options available. And this complexity can only happen in a more or less open environment, trapped in a cage or similar your options are simply too limited. That is as i read it also Advies point with the door example, that you have the option to leave and get back when you have found other items. 

I must admit this doesn’t happen to me as much now, as it did in the past. But i believe Ozzie explained the reason for it excellently. Nowadays i tend to use walkthroughs too much, so i don’t really get stuck because i cheat. But this also depends greatly on the game and the puzzle design, if the game is only mediocre or the puzzle i’m stuck at is poorly designed, or worse a mini-game, then i haven’t got much patience and will soon look for a walkthrough.

Ozzie has also got another point, and that is that in story-heavy games with lots of long cut-scenes and endless dialogs that explains everything, then you just want to progress so you can be told the story. For this reason, though not this reason alone, i prefer games where you are allowed to discover the story for yourself rather then having the story told to you. If the total of the cut-scenes takes more than just a few percentage of the total time playing the game, then the developers have done something terrible wrong imo. (Yet another reason i don’t like TWD) 

Deponia is an excellent example of a game that allows you to discover the story for yourself, anther example is Haunted which i have just played. After playing a game with endlessly long dialogs, and an incredible amount of waste time, like waiting for the elevator (i’m not kidding, you had to wait for the elevator!), the dialogs and cut-scenes in Haunted was refreshingly short and precise, allowing you to focus on the most important - playing the game!

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Rhem, absolutely. It must have happened to me dozens of times through each game in the series, and it’s why I think it might even transcend Myst for puzzles, even though Myst and similar games fit very well too. Myst is so visceral you really need to be in the world, and even though I thought about the puzzles away from my PC I didn’t often get anywhere.

3rd person games don’t do this well at all I’ve found, usually. One I can think of that did is the Day of the Tentacle kite puzzle, because it requires that “aha!” insight and not just clicking around finding a hotspot. Another is in Monkey Island getting Otis out of jail. Both of these can’t really be done by trial and error..

ozzie - 29 March 2013 01:25 PM

What other way forward in the narrative is there then if you can’t figure out how to solve the puzzle right there and then?

My view is that the puzzle is part of the narrative. Adventure games are not a “narrative medium”. That would mean you’re just playing to move forward the story. If a puzzle is you participating in the narrative then there’s no problem - the way forward is the process of you solving the puzzle. Of course, that assumes the puzzles are well designed and allow for such a process.

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2013-03-29

PM

For games like Myst or Rhem or even MOTAS where the puzzles ARE the game, then I have known people who are prepared to remain ‘stuck’ for days or weeks until they can piece together the solution. For the whodunnit type games with reasonable plots that make you want to see how everything pans out then brain warping puzzles just get in the way and can make you lose the thread of an interesting story. Thats where walkthroughs are invaluable because you don’t lose any momentum and it keeps your interest going. Having just played Art of Murder I know I would have never got the solution to the ‘moving Nicole around a room tied to a chair without attracting her kidnappers attention’ puzzle without being able to see the situation laid out in front of me, some puzzles just can’t be solved ‘offline’ as it were…

Total Posts: 29

Joined 2005-06-14

PM

These days I just have to quit out and give my mind a rest.

Found this out recently playing Black Mirror 3. Went on a walkthrough for a puzzle even though the solution was fairly logical.

Got a bit annoyed with myself. Went back on the following day, fresh as a daisy, and completed the final bit of the game with no trouble.

He gave me a cold, shocked stare as if I’d farted at a funeral.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Advie - 29 March 2013 11:45 AM

remember the DOME at start of(Riven) .. five openings , two doors and a dynamic Floor.

Good point, I forgot to mention it - “self-contained” puzzles and majority of logic puzzles in Myst-clones are usually by default like that, that you can be pretty sure at some point that all you need to do in order to progress is to think about the solution, not worrying whether you obtained all the info and items. And like Oscar said, it’s pretty harder for you to know that in a 3rd-person game because the puzzle usually spans through multiple locations.

ozzie - 29 March 2013 01:25 PM

What else is there to do in an adventure game until you hit on the solution? You can pretty much only go around the environments in circles and examine everything again and click every inventory item on another.

Exactly! But now, how do you know, or at what point does a player feel he’s got everything he needs to solve a puzzle, and can even exit the game and think about the solution? For example, at the beginning of Curse of Monkey Island - you know that you need to lift the curse of Elaine, but it is obvious that you can’t possibly know how to do it yet, no matter how much you think about it outside the game. You need to play and explore more. However, the snake puzzle is limited to one screen and you know that you have all the information and inventory items in order to solve it. But those are two extreme cases, and to answer my own question - there isn’t a way to “directly” say to player “You’ve got and you’ve heard everything you need to solve that puzzle”, because it would be too stupid and too easy, but the player needs to feel himself that moment.

Player doesn’t always have to possess all the clues in order to think about the solution - for example, you may lack an inventory item, like scissors. If you’ve explored enough, you’ll realize that you need to cut some wire. Now, you can even exit the game, go to bed and remember - “AHA! I’ve seen scissors there!”, or “I remember that character showing me scissors” and you can guess that you need to obtain scissors first and then cut the wire.

Iznogood - 29 March 2013 03:33 PM

Nowadays i tend to use walkthroughs too much, so i don’t really get stuck because i cheat. But this also depends greatly on the game and the puzzle design, if the game is only mediocre or the puzzle i’m stuck at is poorly designed, or worse a mini-game, then i haven’t got much patience and will soon look for a walkthrough.

Yes, walkthroughs at hand mean you can’t be stuck unless you WANT TO - and that’s why I mentioned “good design”, because what is “good design” if not when the game manages to convince you in some way to think about the solution for yourself? And knowing, or feeling that you at least explored enough to solve a particular puzzle is a great boost IMO to think without looking at the walkthrough. One game feature closely-related to this is that in GK2, where you can check at what locations there’s still work to be done.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 56

Joined 2011-07-29

PM

This is why you should have a rule that you follow before ever looking up a hint - sleep on it for at least one night.

Total Posts: 200

Joined 2006-05-29

PM

My most vivid memory of this involves the electric tortoise puzzle in Simon the Sorcerer II. I distinctly remember that I’d get up especially early on weekdays, creep downstairs and boot up the old PC and turn the volume right down, in order to get a few sneaky minutes of extra gameplay in before school.

The electric tortoise puzzle had me stumped for a while, but one day I headed out to the bus stop and was suddenly struck by inspiration - the whole solution simply presented itself to me within my head. I was absolutely sure it would work and the day at school felt to go outrageously slowly because of the anticipation of testing my theory.

It used to happen a lot more when I was a kid. I guess I had fewer important things to worry about in those days.

Total Posts: 415

Joined 2007-12-29

PM

noknowncure… that was the puzzles that stumped me for a while too.  I think I had to “think on” that one for more than a week before it came tome. What a great game, eh?

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I can’t really recall a lot of puzzles that had me thinking while “offline”.
I usually do my thinking “on the fly” while playing the game. That way, the situation is presented before me. While offline, I’d more easily think “I must have missed a hotspot/dialogue option/other item” and then stop thinking about it because it’s irrelevant.
An exception would be small stand-alone riddles, like the opening quiz in Callahan’s Crosstime Saloon.

Usually, when I think about games while offline, it’ll mostly be about plot elements, not puzzles…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

As i see it there is really two kinds of offline thinking about puzzles:

1) Where you deliberately take a small break to think things through, instead of just running around like a headless chicken trying everything you can possible think of.

When you are sitting in front of the screen, it is very easy to “stare yourself blind” at something, and not see what should otherwise be rather obvious.

So if you are stuck in a game, turn off the screen, grab a cop of coffee, talk to someone, go to the loo, whatever, just make sure that you distract yourself so you can clear your head. Then after a short break, try to think about the solution, still with the screen turned off, if necessary consult you notes, and only turn the screen on again and return to the game, when you think you have a solution or at least have found some new inspiration.

I also use this technique a lot in my work, and i can I can highly recommend doing this at regular intervals, even if you aren’t actually stuck at anything, but are just looking for inspiration.

2) The other one and perhaps most interesting, is when you aren’t consciously thinking about the game, or at least not thinking about the puzzles, but subconsciously your mind is still working on the problem, and suddenly the solution just comes to you like an epiphany.

This of course can’t be forced, but if you are prepared to stop playing when you get hopelessly stuck, and go to bed or do something entirely different, then there is a good chance that the solution will come to you. Personally this doesn’t happen to me as often as it used to, but this is because i have become more impatient and aren’t really prepared to stop playing just because i’m stuck.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Iznogood - 31 March 2013 08:40 PM

Personally this doesn’t happen to me as often as it used to, but this is because i have become more impatient and aren’t really prepared to stop playing just because i’m stuck.

I’m mostly too stubborn to stop playing. If I really like the game, then I’m continuing until I find my solution, going over *everything* again…

If I’m not blown away by the game, though, then I’ll probably head for a walkthrough. Impatience is a bitch…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 2989

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Of course I did. I was stuck in the animal puzzle in Riven for many weeks, when finally one day I just realized why there was no sound for the first animal (that rare spark of inspiration came without thinking on it at all, while I was washing the dishes. I believe that’s the “subconscious thinking” Iznogood mentioned…).

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top