• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissiertrooney

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Memoria (Chains of Satinav 2)

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Actually to say thats a ‘user side’ problem is wrong. All the things you mentioned are terrible optimization on the developers parts. A powerful rig should be able to handle it. If it doesn’t then the game was terribly programmed. Especially since Deponia ran beautifully, especially with the support for toggling HD to SD videos.

All games can be fixed on the users side. Doesn’t change the fact that the developers should of fixed it.

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

inm8#2 - 18 March 2013 05:09 PM

Interesting that Daedalic’s games often have controversial protagonists.

Sadwick - lovable or miserable?
Rufus - amusing or annoying?
Geron - dull or…dull?

Sadwick - lovable AND miserable?
Rufus - amusing AND annoying?
NURI - lovable and amusing

*Fixed*
Though i suspect some might disagree regarding Nuri

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Dag - 18 March 2013 11:39 AM
Gabe - 18 March 2013 08:47 AM

These shots looks worse than Satinav which is unacceptable.

Wha..what? To my eyes those backgrounds looks just as good as those in Chains, if not better, which means they look bloody fantastic! You may need to rub those stains off of your glasses Tongue Looking at these shots I immediately wanted to sit down and paint.

I totally agree, though i can’t actually paint.

I really enjoyed Chains of Satinav and think it was one of the best games of 2012, and i am looking forward to this sequel.

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Goldeneye - 19 March 2013 03:30 AM

How can you optimize for something like Microsoft removing the OpenGL support from their standard graphics drivers in Windows 8? A system using that driver doesn’t meet the minimum system requirements. Games like Minecraft share the same problem.

And I think Daedalic should completely remove the option to use the realtime texture compression. ID’s Rage also gives you this option and the results are pretty much the same. Minutes of horrible stuttering after a scene change. I don’t really know why it exists in such a prominent place because it can’t be there for regular users. Daedalic’s forums show that a lot of users complaining about performance issues don’t even think about to try playing without this option. A problem that is caused by users immediately choosing the highest options available. Obviously the problem wouldn’t be there if the options wasn’t available.

How can you optimize? NOT USE OPENGL! Do you understand what optimization is on the developers part? Its to support and polish the game. Since its being released on the PC, that entails compatibility with many variations of hardware. Although your second paragraph clearly admits to it as bad optimization.

Also Minecraft is a bad example. Its being fixed and patched, aka ‘Optimized’. Optimization is the aspect of ‘making a game work without user intervention’. When the player has to do something to get the game to run, that’s bad optimization. No matter how you try to describe it, its just bad. THe game itself on the other hand, I don’t know, never got a chance to play it without it running horribly.

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Total Posts: 70

Joined 2004-02-18

PM

Chains of Satinav is my favourite Daedalic-game, and was one of the most enjoyable adventures I played last year (also, can’t understand why anyone would dislike Nuri unless their heart is made of stone). Looking forward to this!

Total Posts: 298

Joined 2004-08-15

PM

Man, the pictures look really breathtaking, and showcase more cohesive, detailed and well rounded graphics than Chains of Satinav had. They’re perfect, I can’t see anything wrong with them at all. Just compare them to this forest scene from Chains of Satinav. I can sense an improvement at least.

But no matter how great the graphics, the writing has to convince me, too, and I really didn’t like what I saw of it in the first one.

Total Posts: 532

Joined 2009-06-07

PM

This is great news! I really loved Chains of Satinav. It had a decent story, fantastic visuals and a wonderful soundtrack. It was easilly the most enjoyable game I played last year. The only problem I had with it is that it ran very slowly on my laptop but apparently I can solve that by updating my video drivers. Does anyone know how I can do that? I like playing games but computers make my head hurt.

Btw: I am so so happy I can now finally say all this. I’ve had to keep my happiness about this news under wraps for days because it would instantly spoil the answer to a quiz I had running.

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

ozzie - 19 March 2013 11:08 PM

Man, the pictures look really breathtaking, and showcase more cohesive, detailed and well rounded graphics than Chains of Satinav had. They’re perfect, I can’t see anything wrong with them at all. Just compare them to this forest scene from Chains of Satinav. I can sense an improvement at least.

I agree, the new shots are a step up. The more I look at them, the more eager I am to play this game!

Iznogood - 19 March 2013 06:18 AM

I totally agree, though i can’t actually paint.

Neither can I, but I’m working on it Tongue I consider myself a decent pencil artist, but I haven’t painted (with brushes) properly in nearly 15 years. I certainly need to brush up (pun intended) Tongue

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

There’s a bit of intro animation to be seen in video on this German site preview - I like the atmosphere of it, but again I’m not happy to see the bland, “cutout”-style animation.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 298

Joined 2004-08-15

PM

The in-game scenes shown look really good to me, like the small silhouette animations from the intro that depict a battle with a monster. Overall Memoria got a much more cohesive look than its predecessor. Only the character animations look a bit weak, like when the bearded guy lowers his head. I guess that’s what you mean with cutout style. Still, the 3D models gel well with the 2D art and most of the character animation shown so far is well done I think.

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

I totally agree Ozzie.
(not really much to add, as you said it all)

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

ozzie - 27 March 2013 10:49 AM

Only the character animations look a bit weak, like when the bearded guy lowers his head. I guess that’s what you mean with cutout style.

Yes, that’s exactly what I had in mind, like the style Monty Python utilized. The “paper doll” animation seems to be spreading in the industry, and I’ve found it slightly distracting in the original, as well (look from here). I know it lets authors cutting a few corners and save the budget for perhaps some other, more important game elements, but I still think the characters that are fully brought to life are one of the more important things in an adventure.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Memoria should be out anytime soon ,yes? but release date is still TBA
This preview suggests ‘its one of the most LucasArts-y adventure games been seen in a long while’

Niiiiice!!

Total Posts: 532

Joined 2009-06-07

PM

Advie - 05 August 2013 05:17 AM

Memoria should be out anytime soon ,yes? but release date is still TBA

The official website says end of August 2013 so that’s what I’m counting on. Otherwise I’ll just have to cry my eyes out untill it does arrive.  Cry  (or just play the seven other game I still want to play this year)

Personally I think it looks fantastic. I’m already completely in love with the music and the more epic storyline sounds like a really big step forward to me. I love epic fantasy and I truly believe Daedelic is capable of producing a decent epic high fantasy adventure.

Can’t wait!

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

gray pierce - 05 August 2013 05:31 AM

Personally I think it looks fantastic. I’m already completely in love with the music and the more epic storyline sounds like a really big step forward to me. I love epic fantasy and I truly believe Daedelic is capable of producing a decent epic high fantasy adventure.

Can’t wait!

Me too.

This is one of the games I’m currently looking most forward to, especially since most of the other recent releases has been a bit of a disappointment for me. (Night of the Rabbit, The Raven etc.) I just hope I’m not setting myself up for a new disappointment, by expecting too much from Memoria.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top