• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

angelus_04

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

What’s left at this point? Have all your dreams come true?

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

When Tim launched the Double Fine Adventure campaign, we all hoped that it could somehow spark enough renewed interest to bring back the genre and, more importantly, its best designers. Since that time we’ve seen announced sequels, spiritual successors, or remakes announced for almost every adventure game series I care about (and some I don’t):

Leisure Suit Larry
Space Quest
Gabriel Knight
Tex Murphy
Broken Sword
Quest for Glory
Shadowgate
Syberia
Dreamfall
Police Quest
7th Guest
The Neverhood

That’s the Dirty Dozen as far as I can tell. With the announcement of a successor to The Neverhood, my dream team (really only half of those) is basically complete. There might be other series I’d like to see come back (King’s Quest, Myst, or Journeyman Project for example) but nothing I’d really lose my mind over.

So what’s left for you? Are there any dream projects you’re still waiting for, or are you satisfied with what we have in the pipe?

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Frogacuda - 14 March 2013 02:39 PM

When Tim launched the Double Fine Adventure campaign, we all hoped that it could somehow spark enough renewed interest to bring back the genre and, more importantly, its best designers. Since that time we’ve seen announced sequels, spiritual successors, or remakes announced for almost every adventure game series I care about (and some I don’t):

Gabriel Knight ?  ..

are you sure of this one Tongue

anyways, i really dont really crave care much about a sequel more than to see those Devs And designers whom had made those IPs fully active and making new games and New ones…
because just for instance what would it be if there is a new Police Quest without James walls ? .. i would rather see the original Designer making new things as they always did before and always to love all their products

Total Posts: 247

Joined 2012-05-21

PM

I’d be more excited for a new Myst game, or a new Journeyman Project game, than anything else on your list except The Neverhood. Don’t get me wrong, I liked several of the games on your list (though I disliked others), Frogacuda. I just am not as excited about them as I would be a new Myst game, a new Neverhood-esque game, or a new Journeyman Project game.

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

The line-up would be complete if a new Monkey Island game got put in production with the same art-style as MI3. But other than that I’m set, and since the MI idea will never happen, I’m content.

Total Posts: 783

Joined 2010-10-26

PM

This will be a great year in adventure gaming!
It will be a “dream come true” when I start playing some of them!  Tongue
Until then I’ll seek out every screenshot, trailer, demo I will find.

I’m most interested in Broken Sword 5 Heart Eyes
But also in GK, Tex and Dreamfall. (such great games who were left with no conclusions whatsoever for so many years)

I am baaaaaaaack!

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Isn’t King’s Quest on Telltale’s to-do list. Although I would imagine that Walking Dead Season 2 will take precedent.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 8

Joined 2009-01-05

PM

Leisure Suit Larry
Space Quest
Gabriel Knight
Tex Murphy
Broken Sword
Quest for Glory
Shadowgate
Syberia
Dreamfall
Police Quest
7th Guest
The Neverhood

Woww .. it’s like i been away more than forever Gasp !
i wouldn’t wish or dare to dream for anything else .. just those listed here are enough (if all goes well) .  Grin Grin

Total Posts: 47

Joined 2006-06-01

PM

I would like to kickstart Toonstruck 2 and Myst 6.
And The Real Secret of Monkey Island.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Well no - all my dreams haven’t come true Ooh your are talking about games, and not in general

I would like to see Culpa Innata II: Chaos Rising, and Toonstruck II.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

So what’s left for you? Are there any dream projects you’re still waiting for, or are you satisfied with what we have in the pipe?

I’m not one to go “OMG! OMG! OMG!” when developers of old make a comeback on Kickstarter (although I’m really pleased Dreamfall will finally be concluded).

I just want to see good games being made, whether that’s by the “classic” developers or by new talent. I’m happy with the way things are. And as long as good games are being made, there’s still more than enough left for me…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

Advie - 14 March 2013 02:58 PM

Gabriel Knight ?  ..

If we’re counting spiritual successors like SpaceVenture then I think Moebius qualifies.

But come on, MGX is soooo Gabriel Knight.

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

Mister Ed - 14 March 2013 03:12 PM

I liked several of the games on your list (though I disliked others), Frogacuda.

To be clear, that’s not the list of games I personally care about, it’s just the big old-school revivals that have happened. My list is much shorter. If you asked me 2 years ago before all this I’d probably say my dream team was:

Tex Murphy, Space Quest, Leisure Suit Larry, Day of the Tentacle and Neverhood. And maybe Sam and Max, but only if Steve Purcell was actively involved in the dialog writing.

So apart from Day of the Tentacle, we have something new coming for fans of all those, and DFA seems like an acceptable substitute for DOTT.

Lucien21 - 14 March 2013 03:57 PM

Isn’t King’s Quest on Telltale’s to-do list.

This is no longer in the works, alas. I’m not really sure if the possibility is open in the future, but it’s definitely not something that can or will happen right now.

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Toonstruck 2 is a game I’ve been longing for. To the others here that mentioned it, I assume you’ve allready signed the petition for Toonstruck 2, right? I’ve talked about this a couple times before, but it hasn’t seemed to generate any interest.

Anyway, for those not aware, Keith Arem, who currently holds the rights for Toonstruck 2, has been planning its creation, aswell as planning to release the FULL Toonstruck 1 (in case you didn’t know, the released version of the game only contains the first half, the second half was never released!) and all he needs to be able to do so, is for YOU to sign the petition. You will need a facebook account to do so, because that’s where the petition takes place. Check it out here: http://www.facebook.com/groups/140186316013394/

Just read this:

In its time, Toonstruck was the most expensive experiment in video gaming ever taken on by any company to date. What fans of the game may or may not know is that only half of it was released due to production timelines. The second 50% of the game content was intended to be released as a sequel, but despite international acclaim, Virgin Interactive did not make enough of a profit on the release to justify a second title.

Since 1996, fans of Toonstruck have started websites to commemorate the game, compiled homemade soundtracks of the game\‘s outstanding musical selections, and one “little old lady from Texas” even crafted an in-depth, step-by-step compatibility guide for Windows XP. Perhaps the most ambitious of any homage to Toonstruck has been the Toonstruck2 fan project; a group of individuals dedicated to making the sequel possible with or without Virgin and the original creators, made with whatever original, unused, Toonstruck 2 content they could find and a little imagination to fill in the rest.

In light of recent correspondence with one of the original creators of Toontsruck, Keith Arem, the man who holds the rights to the original game *and* the unreleased sequel material, the possibility of a Toonstruck 2 exactly as the creators intended it to be is finally within reach. To quote Mr. Arem:

“Now that my career has developed, I would like to re-release an updated version of Toonstruck to include the 2nd half of the game (iPad, online, etc), but I would need tremendous fan support to justify its release.”

Show your support for Toonstruck 2 by signing this petition and passing the word on to Toonstruck fans everywhere. With enough support, a sequel to one of PC gaming\‘s most unsung heroes, nearly 15 years in the making, can be all of ours to enjoy.

Also, give a proper Monkey 4! ...but Kasper is probably right that it won’t happen Frown
Fortunately, Bill Tiller is working on some projects, and supposedly he will initiate a kickstarter sometime this year.

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Frogacuda - 14 March 2013 06:42 PM
Advie - 14 March 2013 02:58 PM

Gabriel Knight ?  ..

If we’re counting spiritual successors like SpaceVenture then I think Moebius qualifies.

But come on, MGX is soooo Gabriel Knight.

Maybe yes
but i thought you were suggeting Mystery Game X that i see most had gave up the idea on it being a new GK ,at least for that copyRights issue.

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

I shan’t engage in rumor-mongering, but no I have not given up on that possibility. Although I don’t know it for a fact to be certain, I have reasons to believe it that I can’t really talk about.

And there isn’t really a copyright “issue.” Securing the IP is more of a finance-related issue than anything.

Total Posts: 95

Joined 2010-11-01

PM

I’d really like to see another Blade Runner game and of course Gabriel Knight, but besides those many of our dreams are coming true with these Kickstarters. I really can’t wait to see what Jim Walls has in store because it’s been years since we had a decent cop adventure game.

BTW what is the latest with Jane Jensen’s Mystery Game X? This game is being delayed more than I had hoped.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top