• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Small unofficial Kickstarter survey

Poll: How do you decide how much to pledge / Which projects to back ?
Total Votes: 47
I see it as a pre-order of the game
I want the different rewards (above pre-order)
I want to make sure the game is made, so i can play it.
I want to support the project or the people behind it, even if i personally have no intention of playing the game.
Other (please clarify)
All of the above
This is the stupidest poll i have ever seen / It is none of your business

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

For me it’s usually because I want to see a game get made that wouldn’t otherwise, and because I want to contribute to its budget so the game can be a little bit better. That’s its value to me, compared to a traditional purchase. The drawbacks are many and obvious, but I overlook that when it’s really necessary.

Because of this, I really only see value in pledging to Kickstarters that really need the money. When people like Richard Garriott who can self-fund ask for money, or when companies like inXile decide they’re going to crowd-source ALL their games and treat it like a pre-order, I think it really steals away the main incentive for giving. I feel like Kickstarter should be reserved for those who really need it.

I also sometimes give smaller good faith pledges to projects I don’t actually have strong interest in personally, but who I want to see succeed. Usually just $5 or so. I did that for Jane Jensen, because I love adventure games and more good ones help the cause, but I usually don’t like that kind of dark supernatural stuff.

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

It really is a mix of all for me and I would largely echo what has been said above.

A lot of the rewards i’m not interested in (CSG wallpaper?!) but being able to support e.g. Jane Jensen/Revolution is great and there are some good rewards in there. Also, to some extent, I don’t want too much information on a game so I can save it as a surprise, although I would actually like to know what MGX will be obviously!

However I have also pledged to some more “underground” type stuff through indiegogo so even where I don’t think the project will meet its goal (and it hasn’t) my donation still gets to the creator(s) and encourages them where I think it’s deserved.

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

I see it two ways: when i make the donation i justify it as a preorder. And when i continue to follow the campaign to its close, then i feel like an activist who is just trying to help get these games made Tongue

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top