• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

walas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Age of Abundance

Total Posts: 522

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

It occurred to me lately that we have entered a time where it is no longer possible to play every adventure game I want to - probably ever. I don’t know exactly when this happened, but if the 2000s and much of the 2010s was a time where adventure gaming was said to be “dead”, with people complaining about the lack of releases, then right now there’s very little chance anyone has reason to complain about the lack of quality adventure games.

If anything, the frustration now is that I likely won’t get to play them all. Personally, my games wishlist keeps growing and it seems like every week I’m adding more (both old, new and upcoming). This is very, very new for me - a few years ago I remember the excitement and special-ness of something new coming along, but now it’s almost an attitude of “another to add to the pile”.

Then again, it’s comforting to know that I’ll never be bored in old age. Just stuck to my computer screen 24/7!

What’s been your experience? Has “too much” been a problem for you? How do you deal with it?

AKA Charo

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

good point.

i remember a time in late augites when honestly and literally I had nothing new to play, as strange as this might sound today, but it is a true story.

i kept a notebook (classical old me) in which i had written down loads of other games that i could NOT (and wished to) get my hands on, and that is before Steam and Gog were big a thing, so literally, my collection for new games to play was always very limited.

i now keep my owned (not played) games in three folders, 1st to third choices; must, later, and just in case, and of course, i only look at the ‘must’ folder and there is always more than enough just in there, that i wish i have the time to play.

edit/add: forgotten (like always) to type in the word ‘NOT’.
uhh.. I can imagine the whole meaning of the sentence was just confusing.
Neutral

Total Posts: 844

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

This abundance is increasingly prevalent in all forms of media and art. Books, movies, board games, video games…
I’ve come to happily accept that I will never have time to read or play all the books and games I’d like to.

More people than ever have grown up or are growing up with electronic media (and board games are more popular than ever), and it’s natural that many people who start life as passionate consumers will eventually want to turn that passion in a creative direction. Hence, I think the glut of media will only increase as the world gets older.
I think it is very important for people to realize that no one has any obligation to play, watch, or experience everything; and to quantify your enjoyment by what you do experience as opposed to looking at what you don’t experience. Enjoy what you’re doing, don’t worry about what you’re not doing/might never do.

Also, travel is a gazillion times easier today than it was even 60 years ago. The world has really opened up, and so we find ourselves in an age of abundance for real-life experiences, too. There are more wonderfulous places on the planet than I will ever get to experience…and all of those places are worthy of in depth exploration and lived-in experience. At best, I’ll only be able to scrape the surface of the small percentage of these cool places that I get to visit during my lifetime, in a ‘vacation’ sort of way.

In all instances, this age of abundance is a positively frustrating (emphasis on ‘positive’) problem to have.

Player, purveyor, and propagator of smart toys and games for all ages.
Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Total Posts: 320

Joined 2022-05-09

PM

Depending on the form of art or media quality as well as a reasonably related quantity went down since C19 was supposed to kill everyone. Interesting art is strongly attached to individuals and can be decades away. Traveling got worse. 2022 isn’t a good movie year and there aren’t this many good new adventures around as well. Currently I would enjoy some more, but it’s also not a big issue as you spend your time on other aspects of life. It’s more the age of stupidity, lies and greed.

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2014-08-01

PM

First of all abundance is not synonymous with quality.

If we’re talking about abundance in adventure games (because in other aspects of life I’m sure it’s not.) I personally don’t get frustrated knowing that I won’t be able to play all the games I’d like to. Plus there are only so many games I want to play? Not really. You become more selective, at least I do.

For example the cinema, I love the cinema, and if you look at it every month there are dozens of films coming out and it’s an overwhelming amount, but do I want to watch them all? Even if I could, would I watch them all? And the answer is no again. I know which ones I might like and which ones I might not. And if in a month I find two that I’m really interested in, that’s a lot.

” I remember. Somebody died. It was me.”
~

Total Posts: 320

Joined 2022-05-09

PM

I can’t think of 16 good films so far this year. For example The Northmen was impressive, Deep Water was surprisingly good and a couple of films like Bullet Train, Everything Everywhere All at Once, Jackass Forever and The Batman were okayish. 2021 offered more quality and quantity. C19 led to a decline compared to the years before, but it’s also true that generally the number of quality productions has increased since movies started with a noticeable fluctuation throughout the years and decades with stronger and weaker ones, also depending on what you’re after.

Games related there was a spike on small indie/hobby games, also due to the fact that people were imprisoned and a number of projects were done for sanity reasons, due to a lack of alternatives.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top