• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

LadyLindashanethewolf

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Say something about the adventure game in the post above.

Total Posts: 844

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

I think this might be fun. Here’s how it works.

Each post is in two parts. In the first part, you say something about the game mentioned in the post above your own.
In the second part, you mention a different game.
Feel free to post the box art and/or a screenshot from the game you are mentioning.

You need not have actually played the game in ‘the post above’ to say something about it.
Maybe you’ve seen it around but haven’t played it/don’t want to play it for some reason. Maybe you remember seeing ads for it in a magazine when it came out? Maybe you’ve got a story that is tangential to the game, but doesn’t involve you actually playing the game itself. Or you can just speculate on what you think the game might be like, based on what you’ve seen of it. Or make a snarky/funny/witty/what-have-you comment. The ‘rules’ are pretty loose. The goal is to just have fun, maybe raise some conversation, and perhaps discover some new games.

It might be a good idea to make a ‘placeholder’ post and then go back and edit it right away with your actual contribution, to prevent multiple people from commenting on the same game. But if that does happen, we’ll sort it out.

I’ll get us started.

Say something about…

Mortimer & The Riddles of the Medallion

(Has anyone actually played this?)

Player, purveyor, and propagator of smart toys and games for all ages.
Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2014-08-01

PM

I never played it. It says recommended by the American Humane Association? Games with animals never interested me even when I was a kid. Yet it’s a Lucas Arts game I’ve never heard of. Fastest snail in the world, that reminds me of:

From its description it’s more of an action game than an adventure game. I imagine it’s like those educational games from the 90s like Putt-Putt Travels Through Time.

————

Say something about…

Time Gate

A game by Infogrames, from the creators of Alone In The Dark, it was almost unnoticed at the time and then relegated to oblivion.

” I remember. Somebody died. It was me.”
~

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Knight’s Chase looks like one of those great late 90’s games where the developer’s grasp exceeded their reach. I might have played the demo as a kid; if it wasn’t that, it was something similar looking, such as Fade to Black (the 3d sequel to Another World). Back then, we were so tolerant of the clunkiness of the controls and the vagueness of the scenery, which left so much to the imagination (although I’m not even sure I realized it at the time, I was so awed by the 3dness). In most cases, I reckoned that coming to terms with the controls and awkward camera angles was just part of getting good at the game.
Anyway, definitely seems like one of those relics that I will be very content to read retrospectives about without ever actually playing again myself.

Say something about…

Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Total Posts: 524

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

Absolutely loved it, probably since it was one of my first adventure games. In fact it’s one of those games that’s almost entirely relegated to nostalgia, that I feel no need to replay it. Why spoil the warm fuzzy memories with what almost certainly will be the harsh reality of the many imperfections I would be certain to find? Even playing the sequel Beyond A Steel Sky, a game I enjoyed enough on its own, made me wonder whether Beneath A Steel Sky deserved such a high reputation in my eyes. I’m happy to leave that unanswered for now.

AKA Charo

Joined 2014-08-01

PM

Every time I see a screenshot about that game I get a strong feeling of rejection, my insides scream “don’t play it you’ll hate it!!”, it looks like a mishmash of clichés and hackneyed characters, a cowboy, some baddies, probably Indians too, a treasure hunt because there has to be a treasure hunt. All this together with that .... tone, those colours, I don’t know well. This is me prejudging a game.

And this game got a sequel, so obviously it shouldn’t have done too badly.

——————————

Say something about…

~

Total Posts: 410

Joined 2018-09-09

PM

I’ve not played Noctropolis, so I’ll leave it to somebody else to give their thoughts on that game.  I just wanted to correct an earlier assertion from within the thread…

Baron_Blubba - 06 August 2022 11:16 AM

…Fade to Black (the 3d sequel to Another World).

Fade to Black is the 3D sequel to Flashback, not Another World.  The sequel to Another World (Out of This World in North America) was titled Heart of the Alien.

Joined 2014-08-01

PM

You don’t need to have played the game to say something about it.
The rules of the game from what I understand (and where the fun happens) is to say something about it, whatever it is ... some comment, joke, colourful data, or speculation about the game, even if you haven’t played it.

St_Eddie - 09 August 2022 06:31 AM

I’ve not played Noctropolis, so I’ll leave it to somebody else to give their thoughts on that game.  I just wanted to correct an earlier assertion from within the thread…

Baron_Blubba - 06 August 2022 11:16 AM

…Fade to Black (the 3d sequel to Another World).

Fade to Black is the 3D sequel to Flashback, not Another World.  The sequel to Another World (Out of This World in North America) was titled Heart of the Alien.

It is correct that Fade to Black was the sequel of Flashback, but I thought the order was:

1) Another World.
2) Flashback.
3) Fade to Black.

I was unaware of the existence of Heart of the Alien.wow.

~

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Tenebra - 09 August 2022 01:01 PM

I was unaware of the existence of Heart of the Alien.wow.

It was a SegaCD only release, as far I know. There’s an opensource re-write of to for PC’s though.

Noctropolis is, I reckon, something of an acquired taste. It’s not the greatest adventure game made, but it’s a fun, cheesy adventure with not-so-thinly veiled versions of more famous comic book characters.

Say something about Future Wars, a cheesy sci-fi tale of an accidental timetraveller.

Image Attachments

3099-future-wars-adventures-in-time-dos-front-cover.jpg

Click thumbnail to see full-size image

Joined 2014-08-01

PM

I remember reading about this game in old PC gaming magazines, and they said it was very good.  It called my attention because it was also a game from the now defunct Delphine Software, the same creators of Another World, Flashback etc, which I liked a lot.

But it was before my time and I lost track of it.

—————————————————————————————————————-

Say something about:

~

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

Oh, this brings up strong memories for me. I owned it in the days before internet and walkthroughs and I spent a lot of time floundering on the puzzles. I simultaneously loved the style, the graphics and some of the characters, and the music while detesting the illogical puzzles which I could only really solve by stumbling through and hoping I got lucky. It didn’t help that the game didn’t really give you clear goals for each section. So I never actually finished it. I think it was the island of cats (or something like that) I got stuck on and never went back to the game. Yet I still have fond memories come up when I see a screenshot. That’s nostalgia for you.

AKA Charo

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

The 7th Guest is one of those games that could only really exist in the time that they did.

It became somewhat of a phenomenon because the timing was perfect for it. Even a sequel that followed soon was possible then.

But when they tried to Kickstart a third game decades later, it didn’t happen. They actually managed to get a relatively nice amount of potential pledge money, but that wasn’t even half of what they were asking for.
In a completely weird move, the creators thought that if they cut the game to episodes, and collect money on their own site instead of Kickstarter, they would somehow do better.

Obviously the new game never happened, but that only highlights how the timing and everything was perfect for the first one.

But what do you guys think about this:

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

GateKeeper - 10 August 2022 02:40 AM

The 7th Guest is one of those games that could only really exist in the time that they did.

It became somewhat of a phenomenon because the timing was perfect for it. Even a sequel that followed soon was possible then.

But when they tried to Kickstart a third game decades later, it didn’t happen. They actually managed to get a relatively nice amount of potential pledge money, but that wasn’t even half of what they were asking for.
In a completely weird move, the creators thought that if they cut the game to episodes, and collect money on their own site instead of Kickstarter, they would somehow do better.

Obviously the new game never happened, but that only highlights how the timing and everything was perfect for the first one.

I didn’t know about the failed Kickstarter, but what about The 13th Doll? Not sure how popular it was but doesn’t that prove there’s still room for games like this today?

AKA Charo

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

Charophycean - 10 August 2022 02:46 AM

I didn’t know about the failed Kickstarter, but what about The 13th Doll? Not sure how popular it was but doesn’t that prove there’s still room for games like this today?

Link to that Kickstarter page:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/roblanderos/the-7th-guest-3-the-collector

Anyway, sure there is an audience for games like that, but that niche is obviously not big enough to support bigger projects. The money that The 13th Doll collected was a very modest amount, they asked about 10% of what the official sequel was asking for. Of course they managed to go quite a lot over their target goal, so supposedly those who really wanted to see these games were quite generous with their pledges.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/64161490/the-13th-doll-a-fan-game-of-the-7th-guest

Total Posts: 7445

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I played Verschollen auf Lost Island. In my not very humble opinion the game is just as weird as its name. I’m not the world’s biggest fan of the “classic” 3rd-person adventure with inventory-based puzzles and this one has an idiotic story that makes no sense at all. Also features a horrible MAZE! Didn’t they know in 2002 that mazes are outmoded, ancient, oldfashioned, out of favor, and above all bad? Any maze should have a trick, like the one in Myst or the Neverhood.

Speaking of mazes and snails, here’s a game with a wonderful maze that you can cross sitting on a snail. It will either take minutes or just a few seconds if you find the trick to make the snail go faster.  Cool The Dung Factory also deserves special mention. What do you think of Stupid Invaders?

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Stupid Invaders!

Thank you so much for reminding me about this game. Not because I have strong nostalgic warm ‘n fuzzies for it, but because I’ve always wanted to play it and never did. I knew it first as a Sega Dreamcast game (although now I know that the DC version is a port), and as a big Dreamcast fan, I reckon that would be my preferred, if not most convenient, way to play it.
It’s surprising to me that I have never owned and played this. My family was big on point and clicks, and the Dreamcast was our ‘next-gen’ console of choice even long into the PS2’s existence. You’d think this one would be a…stupid pun alert…no brainer.
Darn…I’ve really gotta go get this game now.

Thanks, Karlok.

All righty, keeping it Sega and point ‘n click. What do you think of…

Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

My feeling about Blazing Dragons is much the same as yours about Stupid Invaders, BB. Want to play it. Can’t. Actually, it looks like a great game that reminds me of Discworld 1 with a bright sunny medieval atmosphere and humor. So it’s bringing up some annoyance that the reason I can’t play it is because SEGA or whoever holds the rights thinks it’s a good idea not to let them go, or at least sell them so that we can play it. I mean, what are they thinking they’ll get out of it? Face the facts - it’s a relatively unknown adventure game that few have even heard of. There’s little chance it’s going to result in any significant windfall should someone else decide to exploit SEGA’s precious intellectual property. And this is true of many other games I’ve wanted to play.

AKA Charo

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top