• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Himalaya Studios launched Mage’s Initiation Kickstarter

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Well it also doesn’t help that big names throw up their projects on kickstarter and driving people away from smaller projects that need a ton of money. Meh

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Total Posts: 5

Joined 2012-11-05

PM

TerminusEst - 04 March 2013 03:41 PM

One thing that left me bemused is that right after they hit their goal ($65k), there was a huge spurt of support and they went over $70k in no time. I don’t understand this. Either the success of their campaign hit the media fast and new people heard of it (seems unlikely to me), or there are still a ton of people who don’t know how Kickstarter works and they wait until a project is funded before pledging. I really don’t get it. Confused

Heh, that there was from a single person pledging $5,000 so they could take the largest reward tier of having their face and voice used to make one of the four combat training Mages.  For the honor being the model of what could be an iconic character, and also to be able to fight themselves in a game.  Seems like a brilliant thing to offer as a reward (for $400 you get a background character with a few lines), and there’s still 2 spots left (if anyone has 5k to freely spend).

So it was really just good timing that blasted them over the edge.

Total Posts: 359

Joined 2012-02-16

PM

Marquillin - 04 March 2013 10:45 PM

Heh, that there was from a single person pledging $5,000 so they could take the largest reward tier of having their face and voice used to make one of the four combat training Mages.

Aha, that explains it then. I retract any statements I’ve made about the intelligence of kickstarter backers (esp. since I am included in their number) Tongue

Total Posts: 643

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

Just giving this a friendly bump.

And while kickstarter is not a “store”, there is some really good value in those reward tiers. Lots of interesting and varied items.

Total Posts: 358

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Anyone here get the severed head option where your likeness will appear in the game as a severed head on some kind of pole in the Priestess’ residence or something?

Total Posts: 358

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Just finished the demo. Pretty interesting. The humor is also there, and the puzzles are nice. Combat is interesting and will be familiar to those who played Diablo, demanding reflexes when it comes to gathering and drinking health/mana potions.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Also played it, I hope they improve the combat part a lot, it seemed sluggish. But the classic interface was nice. But I lack the basis for comparison, maybe now is the time to finally play Quest for Glory games.

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Is it ever not the time to play the QfG games???

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Noted. - Installing Quest For Glory 1-5 from gog now

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I always get sad when someone mentions QFG5. The game was such a wasted opportunity.

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

tomimt - 16 March 2013 05:46 PM

I always get sad when someone mentions QFG5. The game was such a wasted opportunity.

Did someone say fan remake?!?!? Tongue Just saying.

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

QfG5 is the best game in the series. Sure, it looks awful, the combat system is hopelessly broken (then again, apart from QfG2 VGA, and possibly QfG4, is there any QfG game where the combat system is not broken?), and there was some obvious corner-cutting in places (Hades, the coronation…), but the writing, characters and atmosphere are still top-notch (with oodles of fan-service), the game has an order of magnitude more content than the earlier episodes (I’ve recently finished replaying QfG4, and it’s such a small game by comparison!), and it’s a fantastic game, both as an adventure and an RPG.

People never gave it a chance because it looked different—and pure adventure gamers didn’t like that the broken combat system was excessively hard, contrary to the other games where it was excessively easy. People are stupid.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Biggest flaw of QGF5 is that overall the game is pretty boring. It has very few good puzzles and the combat is essentially a waste of time. There is no way to make it out as a “best” of the series, no matter how much more epic the story line is.

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

QFG5 was a huge departure from what we loved because of the huge influx over ‘evolving with the technology’. This is another point to my ‘Adventure games have always been about technology/graphics’. Almost all adventure game companies tried there best to break new grounds visual and technologically….that was the flaw of Adventure gaming during the time. It suited them up until 1997 then the companies decided its best to jump ahead and used technology that essentially won’t age well.

Because of this, things felt awkward and out of place as a lot had to be changed to adapt to a new way of playing games.

I feel that if QFG5 wasn’t developed for the sole purpose of using new technology, leading to exponentially new features, the game could of done real well. I liked QFG5, it was different and new. Sure its not QFG4, but if it utilized the same engine, it would of been great.

Also, legally, is there any issue with demaking QFG5? We got sierra remakes, but if say, on my free time I got a proposal together of demaking QFG5, would it be legally plausible?

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top