• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Himalaya Studios launched Mage’s Initiation Kickstarter

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

ozzie - 23 February 2013 04:00 PM
Monolith - 23 February 2013 03:55 PM

You’re missing the point.I said technical classification, as in, something coined by the industry. I guess i’m wrong when written industry created classifications define it as so.

Maybe you could elaborate on that or cite these “written industry created classifications” so we have any clue what you’re talking about? As far as I’m aware of there’s no unified opinion on what constitutes an RPG and what not in the industry.

gamasutra.com

Maybe you guys should read up on how the industry works and how classifications are made.

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Total Posts: 164

Joined 2007-11-25

PM

Monolith - 24 February 2013 03:32 AM
ozzie - 23 February 2013 04:00 PM
Monolith - 23 February 2013 03:55 PM

You’re missing the point.I said technical classification, as in, something coined by the industry. I guess i’m wrong when written industry created classifications define it as so.

Maybe you could elaborate on that or cite these “written industry created classifications” so we have any clue what you’re talking about? As far as I’m aware of there’s no unified opinion on what constitutes an RPG and what not in the industry.

gamasutra.com

Maybe you guys should read up on how the industry works and how classifications are made.

I’ve been following Gamasutra quite thoroughly for the past several years and besides the odd exception, I’ve never come across what you are saying, not by Gamsutra neither its users - or from other sources for that matter. Sure, there are overlapping features, but in my experience 90% of all people think of RPGs and adventures as largely different genres.

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Jannik - 24 February 2013 03:57 AM

I’ve been following Gamasutra quite thoroughly for the past several years and besides the odd exception, I’ve never come across what you are saying, not by Gamsutra neither its users - or from other sources for that matter. Sure, there are overlapping features, but in my experience 90% of all people think of RPGs and adventures as largely different genres.

In the book Game Architecture and Design, genres are defined by the truest sense. Basically, the strongest aspect that defines the genre. Adventures having the focus on story. Same with RPG’s, hence the fact that RPGs are a subgenre of Adventure. RPGs aren’t a core genre as it shares features with other genres. There are seven core genres. Action, Adventure, Strategy, Simulation, Puzzle, Toys, Educational. Read the book, each core genre has a specific strength that defines it as is. Any other genre’s are derivatives of these.

Another way of looking at it is this. What is an adventure without story? It wouldn’t be an adventure. People over analyse the idea behind ‘What is an adventure’ but its all based on bias, emotion, and lack of logical thinking.

Technically an RPG is pretty much an Adventure/Strategy/Simulation. Mixing heavy emphasis of Story, Tactics and Probability, while some incorporate character lifestyle end evolution.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Monolith - 24 February 2013 06:44 AM

In the book Game Architecture and Design, genres are defined by the truest sense. Basically, the strongest aspect that defines the genre.

While that may be true theoretically, it’s impractical in real life.

You can’t describe just about any genre as a hybrid of one of those 7 - it’d be unclear.
Time has dictated what an RPG is, so RPGs have become their own defined genre.

You can’t keep working with a narrow genre definition - it doesn’t work in real life. Look at colour theory: whether you’re going with the RGB model or the CMYK model, you can’t just go defining ‘orange’ as a red/green hybrid (which yellow is as well) or as a magenta/yellow hybrid (which red is as well). There’s a reason we call it orange…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

In the book Game Architecture and Design, genres are defined by the truest sense. Basically, the strongest aspect that defines the genre. Adventures having the focus on story. Same with RPG’s, hence the fact that RPGs are a subgenre of Adventure. RPGs aren’t a core genre as it shares features with other genres. There are seven core genres. Action, Adventure, Strategy, Simulation, Puzzle, Toys, Educational. Read the book, each core genre has a specific strength that defines it as is. Any other genre’s are derivatives of these.

Anyone with half a brain should have huge alarm bells going off whenever they see the number 7. It’s the ultimate tell-tale sign of lazy thinking. Whenever you see someone proclaiming that there are 7 of something, you can be almost sure that they’re just an idiot trying to force reality into their little magical number—and that they shouldn’t be paid attention to.

As for your argument that RPGs are just a subgenre of adventure, it makes so little sense that it’s not even worth debunking.

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Another way of looking at it is this. What is an adventure without story? It wouldn’t be an adventure. People over analyse the idea behind ‘What is an adventure’ but its all based on bias, emotion, and lack of logical thinking.

Technically an RPG is pretty much an Adventure/Strategy/Simulation. Mixing heavy emphasis of Story, Tactics and Probability, while some incorporate character lifestyle end evolution.

Ahhhh yes… the “toys” genre…
See, this is marketing-think, and not particularly relevant to developers or this conversation. And you do realize by this logic 99% of videogames would include the word simulation, making it a truly redundant member of this “7”.

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Everyone is missing the point. I’m not saying other genre’s don’t exist. I’m just saying that ‘Core’ genres exist for a reason. Are you not the son/daughter of your father and mother? I guess thats to narrow of a definition. You are the creation of a sperm in which was brethren/sisters of many other sperms that swam….seriously that’s how annoying its sounds when people can’t accept core ideas.

The point? RPGs are a subgenre/creation of the core genre. RPGs are Adventure games. Thats all.

zane - 24 February 2013 01:01 PM

Ahhhh yes… the “toys” genre…
See, this is marketing-think, and not particularly relevant to developers or this conversation. And you do realize by this logic 99% of videogames would include the word simulation, making it a truly redundant member of this “7”.

Did you not think that “toys” is a very real genre to describe games that have no goal no obstacle to prevent from the main purpose of the game? Of course not, its a marketing-think and not some LOGICAL word to describe something. Maybe you guys should stop jumping to conclusions and actually read my posts.

I guess its also marketing-think to claim there are only five core human senses. *rolls eyes*

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Monolith - 24 February 2013 03:54 PM

Maybe you guys should stop jumping to conclusions and actually read my posts.

Maybe you could try and make your points more clear instead of constantly going on a tantrum how none of us get what you mean…

I’m sorry to say this, but a lot of your posts tend to be incoherent (like your train of thought skips a few stations when you’re writing it down) and then you usually say we don’t understand because we’re not “designers like you” (which is just hoity-toity behaviour).

Insisting on calling RPGs adventure games means that you either don’t know what an RPG is at its core, or don’t know what an adventure game is at its core, or both. And no amount of vague book-references (presumably from an author who doesn’t have a clue) is going to change that…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Let’s get this conversation back to the Mage’s Initiation Kickstarter, yeah?

As of this moment, they’re 78% funded! And they added some new all digital tiers over the weekend…

Total Posts: 643

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

Monolith - 24 February 2013 03:54 PM

Are you not the son/daughter of your father and mother? I guess thats to narrow of a definition. You are the creation of a sperm in which was brethren/sisters of many other sperms that swam….

That I did not know. My parents lied to me!  Angry

Anyway, it’s good to see this project doing well. I should probably pay more attention to their updates and comments page.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

fov - 24 February 2013 07:11 PM

As of this moment, they’re 78% funded! And they added some new all digital tiers over the weekend…

It’s good to see their campaign doing well - it’s a well thought out and planned campaign so far, imo. Thumbs Up

Total Posts: 212

Joined 2005-10-07

PM

Nice to see that this made its goal.

Total Posts: 359

Joined 2012-02-16

PM

Jatsie - 04 March 2013 11:58 AM

Nice to see that this made its goal.

I’m real happy for them too, especially after the tiny hiccup with the lottery, which they resolved splendidly. One thing that left me bemused is that right after they hit their goal ($65k), there was a huge spurt of support and they went over $70k in no time. I don’t understand this. Either the success of their campaign hit the media fast and new people heard of it (seems unlikely to me), or there are still a ton of people who don’t know how Kickstarter works and they wait until a project is funded before pledging. I really don’t get it. Confused

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

TerminusEst - 04 March 2013 03:41 PM

or there are still a ton of people who don’t know how Kickstarter works and they wait until a project is funded before pledging. I really don’t get it. Confused

I think a lot of people don’t know how it works, and that they think that pledging means you’ll lose your money if it doesn’t get funded… Meh

Total Posts: 359

Joined 2012-02-16

PM

TimovieMan - 04 March 2013 03:51 PM
TerminusEst - 04 March 2013 03:41 PM

or there are still a ton of people who don’t know how Kickstarter works and they wait until a project is funded before pledging. I really don’t get it. Confused

I think a lot of people don’t know how it works, and that they think that pledging means you’ll lose your money if it doesn’t get funded… Meh

Yeap, that’s what I’d put my money on. And I still don’t get it Smile

More seriously, campaigns might benefit from prominently educating people about the mechanics of kickstarter-style crowdfunding right on their main campaign page. Otherwise, they’d be leaving lots of money on the table. And that would make a world of difference for some projects that are right on the cusp between being funded and not. Just my two bani.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top