• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Himalaya Studios launched Mage’s Initiation Kickstarter

Total Posts: 298

Joined 2004-08-15

PM

Oh yeah, the three genres of fiction: fantasy, sci-fi, contemporary. What else could you possibly need? Tongue
I have to agree that in terms of setting many game developers seem to be awfully starved of imagination. Just look at Bioware: apparently they consider it an artistic height to explore medieval fantasy in one series, and shiny metal corridors scifi in another. Like there’s nothing else that could possibly exist besides these genres. I guess Jade Empire was an accidental fluke. Grumbel grumbel grumbel…

I wish there was more bizarre and otherwordly fantastical stuff out there like in Zeno Clash. Medieval fantasy is so common by now it seems almost trite and mundane.

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

I would love to see some modern setting adventures with rpg elements. Closest iv played to one is donna: avenger of blood (very lite rpg mechanics)

Total Posts: 212

Joined 2005-10-07

PM

TimovieMan - 20 February 2013 02:06 PM

I wish they did a RPG/adventure hybrid in a sci-fi setting, or a present-day metropolis… You know, something that actually stands out…

That sounds as though it could be quite interesting. I always liked the dystopian-future setting of BaSS and parts of TLJ, and my favourite RPGs are games like Fallout and Mass Effect, so building a hybrid RPG/Adventure in one of those worlds could prove to be rather fun.

Total Posts: 643

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

I’m tempted to say this kickstarter is what I thought Hero-U would be like.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

inm8#2 - 22 February 2013 04:30 AM

And is that good or bad? Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

seriously, if we took this material, and put the “qfg creator” label on it, and got rid of the “the problem with adventure games..is adventure games” message that the coles seem to like, it would raised a ton more than hero u.

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

zane - 22 February 2013 11:38 AM

seriously, if we took this material, and put the “qfg creator” label on it, and got rid of the “the problem with adventure games..is adventure games” message that the coles seem to like, it would raised a ton more than hero u.

Yeah, damn those that believe adventures go beyond Point n Click adventures we are biased towards. *rolls eyes*

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Monolith - 22 February 2013 05:54 PM

Yeah, damn those that believe adventures go beyond Point n Click adventures we are biased towards. *rolls eyes*

im not saying bending the genre is strictly bad. I’m referring to the rants they rolled out with the kickstarter, and the initial insistence that the game was an rpg above all else. Including this quote: “So when you’re talking about Hero-U, please call it an RPG as we do. It’s ok to wink if you’re subtle about it.”
If youre going to go the nostalgia route, its best to embrace the past while also incorporating new, and mage’s initiation puts on a very nice presentation in that sense.

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

zane - 22 February 2013 06:13 PM
Monolith - 22 February 2013 05:54 PM

im not saying bending the genre is strictly bad. I’m referring to the rants they rolled out with the kickstarter, and the initial insistence that the game was an rpg above all else. Including this quote: “So when you’re talking about Hero-U, please call it an RPG as we do. It’s ok to wink if you’re subtle about it.”
If youre going to go the nostalgia route, its best to embrace the past while also incorporating new, and mage’s initiation puts on a very nice presentation in that sense.

By technical classification, RPGs are Adventure games.

Joined 2004-08-15

PM

Only in the sense that in RPGs you generally go on an adventure, though I don’t think it’s a necessity for them, and it definitely isn’t for adventure games. The only reason they’re called adventure games is because the first of them was called “Adventure”. I don’t think you could say you go on an adventure in Maniac Mansion, I have no mouth, and I Must Scream, The 7th Guest or Discworld Noir. So I don’t think so.

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Monolith - 22 February 2013 11:36 PM

By technical classification, RPGs are Adventure games.

Cans of worms aside (are sports games RPGs because you play the role of an athlete?)... I dont think the coles were being “technical” in their initial stance that the game be viewed as an rpg, and not as an adventure. It made for a confusing start to the fundraising.

Joined 2004-08-15

PM

Tomorrow a live show called Alive and Kicking will present “some of the coolest currently running gaming projects on Kickstarter.”, hosted by the team behind the Day of Dawn Kickstarter. Mage’s Initiation will be part of the program, as will be Golem and many others.
When it will start:

CET (Europe)     
4:00PM – 11:59PM    
PST (California)
7:00AM – 3:00PM
EST (New York)
10:00AM – 6:00PM

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

You’re missing the point.I said technical classification, as in, something coined by the industry. I guess i’m wrong when written industry created classifications define it as so. Oh well, f*** me right? Better than a clusterf*** of opinions on what it means.

Joined 2004-08-15

PM

Monolith - 23 February 2013 03:55 PM

You’re missing the point.I said technical classification, as in, something coined by the industry. I guess i’m wrong when written industry created classifications define it as so.

Maybe you could elaborate on that or cite these “written industry created classifications” so we have any clue what you’re talking about? As far as I’m aware of there’s no unified opinion on what constitutes an RPG and what not in the industry.

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Monolith - 23 February 2013 03:55 PM

You’re missing the point.I said technical classification, as in, something coined by the industry. I guess i’m wrong when written industry created classifications define it as so. Oh well, f*** me right? Better than a clusterf*** of opinions on what it means.

Yeah I dont know what youre talking about. I mean sure, the word adventure commonly gets lumped together with rpg in marketing. But that has nothing to do with that kickstarter launch where they specifically wanted to distance themselves from the word adventure. And then they had to spend a lot of time backpedaling on what they meant by that. If not for the history behind the developers, they would have been doomed.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top